You can type here any text you want

Biggest Brakes I can use with 16" gta wheels?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

turbotroy

Hi All, as the title says, what are the most brakes that I can install with 16" gta wheels? I want to have disc in the rear also and my goal is a half @ssed auto x car. I also want to quarter mile this car, so with an electric transbrake, can I do that with rear discs? (I figure I'll be giving Extreme Automatics a call)
I love the gta wheels and have an opportunity to buy a set that I like. It all depends on how much more brake I can put in there. I wish Bweavy's 18" would show up but... Thanks in advance! Cheers!

Last edited:
i have a set of LS1 F body brakes behind "rear" GTA's on my 86 Camaro.. haven't tried a "front" GTA on it, but i imagine the fitment would be the same- just needed to put a 3/16" wheel spacer in there to clear the front face of the calipers.. i have a thread on here somewhere that shows every step i had to do to get it together- the steps and parts needed to do it on an F body are the same as a G body..

The GTA wheels had 12" rotors so you can put at least 12" in if the calipers don't catch.

The GTA wheels had 12" rotors so you can put at least 12" in if the calipers don't catch.

12" C4 brakes clear with no spacers, but the LS1 F body brakes are just flat out better and every way and almost every parts store in the country will have service parts on hand..

BAER brakes complete SS4 system is a matching system and will fit the 16" wheels just fine. Let us know if your interested and we will save you some money on your purchase. Plus we have templates available to test to see if they fit before buying...

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies, Guys. Has anyone run a comparison between the ls1 brakes and the Baer's? I'm kinda leaning towards the ls1 as most bang for the buck and like novaderrik stated can get parts for them anywhere.

Thanks for the replies, Guys. Has anyone run a comparison between the ls1 brakes and the Baer's? I'm kinda leaning towards the ls1 as most bang for the buck and like novaderrik stated can get parts for them anywhere.
No Comparison!

BAER brakes complete SS4 system is a matching system and will fit the 16" wheels just fine. Let us know if your interested and we will save you some money on your purchase. Plus we have templates available to test to see if they fit for sure before buying...

Will that system also fit the stock aluminum wheels on a Regal Turbo? If so, pm me your best price.

Will that system also fit the stock aluminum wheels on a Regal Turbo? If so, pm me your best price.
Carl,

Yes the SS4 system Does fit the front factory aluminum 15" wheels! The rear does not fit due to the larger rotors in the rear but BAER is working on a remedy for that now.

so which one is objectively better?
"Let's look at some things Objectively then"

I truly believe "You get what you pay for" when it comes to building a nice quality hot rod. You can have the guy down the street build your engine for cheap, then again you can have Don Cruz build your engine and it will be expensive, again you get what you pay for!

Will the LS brakes be better than the OEM Regal brakes? Sure, but Not without a bunch of fabrication & labor involved by the owner or the added cost to have a machine shop do it for them! Then the question is "Was it done right" ? But that wasn't the question that was asked...

BAER brake systems come several way's:

* Come without the modified spindles for several hundred dollars cheaper
* Come pre-assembled on modified spindles for a completely easy "Bolt-On" installation.

#1)

LS Brakes require making brackets, machining the spindles and a lathe to cut down the stock rotors to mention some of the modifications.

BAER the whole front brake system comes pre-assembled on modified spindles ready to "BOLT ON" (No machining involved at all), 6061 T-6 billet machined hubs with Timken or SKF bearings installed. Hubs are pre-built with bearings, races and studs and packed with Redline synthetic grease, Everything needed per corner (including hoses and fittings), 6061 T-6 billet aluminum hat (anodized black) and bolted to the rotor (2-piece rotor), High grade U281 fine thread stainless hardware (with captured nuts). Rotor comes pre-assembled.

#2)

LS brakes come with 2-piston calipers

BAER SS4+ come with 4-piston calipers

#3)

LS brakes come with a 1" thick rotor x 11" dia

BAER comes with the same size but come with a directionally vaned slotted, drilled, zinc plated rotor

Additional items to consider when comparing Baer calipers to others:

Piston placement and pad shape – the most efficient pad shape is one that is long in length and short in height, compared to a pad with the same area that is short in length and tall in height. The reason that the longer pads are preferred is simple leverage. The shorter pad height allows the pistons in the caliper to be placed as far away from the hub center as possible (read; close as possible to the rotor edge). This has the same effect as running a larger diameter rotor without the weight penalty. This is also the number one reason 4 piston calipers are typically superior to 2 piston calipers. It has nothing to do with clamping force or pad surface area.

Now to the most important aspect of caliper design…"Stiffness" – The reason you need to remove the caliper to replace the pads on the BAER calipers is that the pads don’t come out of the top of the caliper. This is due to the large radius corners at the opening in the top of the caliper. The large radiuses help resolve two key problems inherent in virtually all caliper designs. They help to minimize caliper flex as the result of the piston acting on the caliper body when the brakes are applied. (This is what most people think about when they think of caliper flex, and the only thing some caliper manufacturers know to exist).
But, it is not the only distortion (flex) the caliper is experiencing during heavy braking. It also resolves another phenomenon that happens during heavy braking. Since the calipers are only mounted on one side of the caliper, as is the case with all automotive mounting configurations; the opposite side of the caliper wants to move in the direction of the rotor rotation due to the friction of the outboard pad “pulling” the caliper with it. This action causes the caliper to distort, or “twist”. This also affects pedal firmness and modulation.

Some caliper designs incorporate elaborate, spider web type, bolt in bridges at the top of the caliper to help minimize this. The bolt in bridges do a good job of minimizing caliper flex in a number of directions, but there are a few downsides…You still need to remove the fasteners to access the pads. And, they restrict airflow, reducing the pumping efficiency of the rotors so the systems typically run hotter than with our design. Other designs simply use a single bolt or two from one side of the caliper to the other in an effort to help minimize caliper distortion, but the design is antiquated, does little to eliminate the second condition outlined above; and STILL requires removal to change the pads.

In addition to the large radius corners, Baer also employs a 6 bolt per caliper design to fasten the two halves together on the calipers. More bolts equal an increase in caliper stiffness!

Manufacturing techniques and materials -BAER calipers are machined from billet extrusions, not cast aluminum like a majority of the OEM calipers. Extrusions are basically billet bars that are forged into the rough shape of the caliper prior to machining.

Inset dust and weather seals - Unlike a majority of the competitor’s calipers, Baer utilizes both pressure seals and wiper seals. The wiper seals are inset back into the bores to avoid being over-heated and failing. Most competitors either don’t use wiper seals at all which greatly reduces the reliability of the caliper or employ dust “boots” or seals that contact the back of the pad, which often results in the boots or seals failing when used in a competition environment.

BAER is the only company that addresses pad knock back issues on rear applications that use axles with c-clip retained axles with our patent pending, VeriSlide brackets.

ok... but which one stops better, repeatedly...
also, can you get new rotors and pads for Baer brakes from the average local parts store on a sunday afternoon?

also, the LS1 F body brakes have a 12" X 1.25" rotor, not 11" x 1" as you stated... i measured mine before putting it on my Camaro...

ok... but which one stops better, repeatedly...
also, can you get new rotors and pads for Baer brakes from the average local parts store on a sunday afternoon?

also, the LS1 F body brakes have a 12" X 1.25" rotor, not 11" x 1" as you stated... i measured mine before putting it on my Camaro...
This is getting silly............

With all due respect, Your honestly questioning an OEM brake vs BAER brake which one stops better repeatedly? I know for a fact which one I will put my money on! I have them on my personal car and I have personally tested them on Speed/Stop challenges year after year to know just how well they stop, have you tested your LS brakes on a brake course? The proof is on the pavement so I would like to welcome you to the 2014 Buick GS Nationals Autocross this year in Bowling Green, KY to compete with me in the BAER brake Speed/Stop challenge to "Actually" see which stops better & quicker! I will even pay for your entry fee to the autocross hows that?

The LS rotors come in both sizes to be honest! and the 11" ones are a stock replacement on the 2002 Camaro, I am well aware of the 12'' rotors that are available.

Rotors and Pads from a local parts store isn't that big of a deal to be completely honest with ya, as if people with these cars are going to wear down the pads and screw up their rotors so bad without prior notice they have to drive into a local parts store to due a brake job while on the power tour or something. Plus for your information BAER brakes DOES use pads that can be bought at your local parts store! ;)

Due to the SS4's size and piston area (1.75" pistons) it has a huge amount of clamping force (and because the little caliper is so rigid for what it is) it works great in drag racing too. This is the same caliper design they have on RPM's 3000hp Mustang, Dusty Bradfords 2400hp Regal, and Steve Morris's Boost Master Wagon. These cars have done in excess of 160 mph in the 8th mile.

Last edited:
Scot's car stops awsome!!!! And stopping doesn't drop off as brakes get hot as in back-to-back autocross runs. The average GN owner cannot do better than Baer system because, as Scot pointed out, they are engineered to be safe and effective. Plus Scot has a great suspension, strong motor and big 18" autocross tires!

Having said all that, you won't get optimum stopping , regardless of brake system, with the 16" GTA wheels. Why? Because they will limit you to narrow selection of available tires (street tires or race tires). Sweet spot for tire selection is 17" or 18" diameter. But, as you noted in your opening post, you are looking for a "half-assed autocross car". For a bucks down alley-cat car, the GTA wheels and LS front brakes and MT drag radials on all 4 corners should be much better than stock.

It all depends on your goals, fab skills, and pocketbook. Just my opinion!
Conrad
ps...FWIW, rear brakes do not impact a car with transbrake as the transbrake locks up the transmission, not the brakes.

I'm in full agreement!! I've driven Scot's car on a number of occasions as well as Several late model F bodies with good LS brakes! Trust me, there is NO comparison in stopping power or repeated hard, hot stops. Just NO comparison at all. Scot's car just simply stops far better than anything I've ever driven!! And it will do it repeatedly such as on an autocross course that will definitely find the limits of any brake system. I've never seen or felt his brakes even think about fading even at the end of a punishing run.

Thanks for the replies and good info! Something I might not have been clear on: with converting to rear disc's, does that mean a trans brake is a neccesity? Also, could I really put DR's on all 4 corners and would that work?

My limited understanding of a transbrake is that the transmission engages 1st gear and reverse at the same time.....locking up the tranny. It has NOTHING to do with front or rear brakes. Are you thinking about a LineLock? It is plumbed into the front brakes to prevent them from turning during a burnout. Two completely different animals. I understand that a tranny with transbrake must have the very best internal components to last and not break. If you want to go to a transbrake, most will recommend a complete rebuild and component upgrade while converting to transbrake.
Conrad

I understand the difference between a trans brake, and line locks. What my question is, is I've read varying responses about launching off the foot brake with rear disc's. That's my latest question; if I have rear disk's am I going to need a trans brake? Thanks

I understand the difference between a trans brake, and line locks. What my question is, is I've read varying responses about launching off the foot brake with rear disc's. That's my latest question; if I have rear disk's am I going to need a trans brake? Thanks
The best answer is maybe. It will depend on how much boost you build while at the line. Some can't build that much boost with 4 wheel discs and some can.

Back