Bosch O2 sensor, anyone have install issues?

KenB 87 TT

So I bought a new sensor (actually two) the other day. Bosch cuz thats what autozone and kragen carry. Too convenient
Go to install.
Minor PITA to remove the old sensor
Then I cannot get the dang thing to thread. Try try try.
After trying both, eyeballing vs. the old sensor, I measure.
Both Bosch sensor measure 17.78 mm or so across the peak of the thread, and the lead in threads taper.
The old Delco measure more like 17.57 very short if any taper

Just to really annoy myself, I try to re-install the Delco sensor.
No problem, aim and turn.

Fire up the computer, part number on box matches Bosch website.
Turn to the online Buick community, find out (too late) that Bosch 02s have a poor reputation.

Arrgh, must order some Delcos or Denso.

Anyone else ever have such trouble trying to install a Bosch oxygen sensor?

Thanks for letting me rant

KenB

KenB 87 TT said:
Anyone else ever have such trouble trying to install a Bosch oxygen sensor?

You have to carefully open the box, then remove the sensor, and then toose into the nearest circular file.
Rumor has it thou, that GM is sourcing sensors from them now, so who's to say what issues that might generate.
Yes, I had 3 new Bosch sensors in a row, that were junk, from Autozone. My excuse was that it was a Sunday.

the part number should be 12014 for bosch. and they dont last with these cars... go to www.sparkplugs.com and buy the denso for 16.00. also the denso has a coating that won't kill the sensor with racing gas!!!! very cool!!!!!

bosch o2

I currently have a Bosch o2 with a least 50 passes with 111 oct. on it. No problems with install. What gives? Is there that much variance in the Bosch o2s.

O2 sensors

Hi,
All oxygen sensors have the same thread pattern, so you must have galled the bung when you pulled out the last one. I would run the quick cycling Gnx sensor, Kirban Pn6888, which is an original AC Delco unit,or go to a heated sensor for fast warmup.This one requires some rewiring, but not much.Stick with AC Delco stuff.
By the way, Bosch originated the technology leading to the development of the oxygen sensor. I don't know what has happened to their build quality lately, but I see a lot of failures in their aftermarket stuff.OE holds up better. I work on cars daily, for a living, and I'm not happy about the situation. Good luck!

I use a Denso on my Quad 4 Olds. No problems. The standard Denso O2 sensor for the TR/GN/GNX is part 234-1001 for exact fit. The heated Universal Denso O2 seems to be 234-3000.