Bought a '85 T-type, help me spend my money!

Set the translator to base settings, i bet you that is NOT the problem. Your fuel pressure is kind of low, but not abnormal with a stock regulator (its a stock one, right?)
I forgot if you have stock injectors or not. Do you? Or are they aftermarket?

It is either a fuel problem or an air problem. Check ALL of your vacuum lines man.

Set the translator to base settings, i bet you that is NOT the problem. Your fuel pressure is kind of low, but not abnormal with a stock regulator (its a stock one, right?)
I forgot if you have stock injectors or not. Do you? Or are they aftermarket?

It is either a fuel problem or an air problem. Check ALL of your vacuum lines man.
I have an aftermarket adjustable one but since my car was running so rich I keep it near factory pressure. Stock injectors too

Time to back up a little. You need to list your entire setup. Then we can try to narrow down where the potential issues could be, and what has been changed/altered.
What do you have for:
Injectors
Chip/(specs)
ECM
MAF sensor
Fuel pump...how old? What brand?
Fuel pump....hot wired?
o2 sensor...how old? What brand?
Engine harness grounds (under the a/c compressor)...tight?
ALL scanmaster #'s?

Post answers to all the above, and then we'll start from there.

Time to back up a little. You need to list your entire setup. Then we can try to narrow down where the potential issues could be, and what has been changed/altered.
What do you have for:
Injectors
Chip/(specs)
ECM
MAF sensor
Fuel pump...how old? What brand?
Fuel pump....hot wired?
o2 sensor...how old? What brand?
Engine harness grounds (under the a/c compressor)...tight?
ALL scanmaster #'s?

Post answers to all the above, and then we'll start from there.

It's in my sig, I have the 86/87 ECM, adjustable fuel pressure reg which is set to stock pressure.

I just installed a newer style(believe it to be an LT1) MAF with the translator.

Fuel pump stock, not hot wired.

O2 I believe is a bosh and its got less than 100 miles on it but the car has been running rich the entire time I've been trying to fix it.

Everything is stock.

My INTs start off normal when idling and sitting there all the way until its warmed up, still fine until I give a little gas, I let it come down to idle and the INTs just go up and max out idling, but like I said only after I give it gas.

I have the MAT harness, I'm just nervous to pin it into the ECM harness, what wire connectors are recommended?
Do I need a special type of intake air sensor because my harness didnt come with it.

The info in your sig is not very helpful. when you say "stock fuel pressure" what is the pressure? 35? 39? vac line on/off?? What are the o2 readings when the int pegs out? Is the car belching black smoke and chugging?? What are the BLMs at warm idle? What are the plugs gapped to? Have you verified the chip is a stock hot air chip set up for stock injectors? Did you ever verify the engine harness grounds under the a/c compressor are good and tight??

You should take the time and answer each one of the above questions so we can start eliminating things.

A high BLM and INT are indicating that the ECM is seeing a LEAN condition (according to the o2) and it is adding fuel....if the o2 is fouled, or the harness grounds arent good and tight, it can be sending the incorrect info to the ECM allowing it to add fuel when it doesn't need it....hence the rich condition.

After some research I have an idea....I think the stock 84-85 chip you have is conflicting with the MAF signal.
Just for laughs....if you can, swap back to the stock 85-85 ECM, MAF, and chip....then see if you're still running rich....

According to bob bailey, the translator emulates the 86-87 MAF signal and needs a chip setup for the 86-87 MAF....which your stock chip is not setup for.....

After some research I have an idea....I think the stock 84-85 chip you have is conflicting with the MAF signal.
Just for laughs....if you can, swap back to the stock 85-85 ECM, MAF, and chip....then see if you're still running rich....

According to bob bailey, the translator emulates the 86-87 MAF signal and needs a chip setup for the 86-87 MAF....which your stock chip is not setup for.....

It's running the same way it did before the maf/translator swap. This weekend I will try to pin the harness for the intake air temp sensor and hope that solves it.

One thing I must admit is I bought the 86/87 ECM from someone on here and didnt look at the chips in it, I was told it had both stock ones and they worked.

I might try to swap back to my 85 ECM and see if it still runs crazy rich.

That's not my point....I think it has to do with the 86-87 ECM and how it is calibrated to read MAF signal. I think it's in the chip. Anytime people convert to the 86-87 ECM, they get a new chip burned. The chip is setup for the 84-85 MAF sensor calibration....and it's conflicting with the 86-87 ECM....that's why I said to swap back to the 84-85 ECM with that chip....and see how it runs....

That's not my point....I think it has to do with the 86-87 ECM and how it is calibrated to read MAF signal. I think it's in the chip. Anytime people convert to the 86-87 ECM, they get a new chip burned. The chip is setup for the 84-85 MAF sensor calibration....and it's conflicting with the 86-87 ECM....that's why I said to swap back to the 84-85 ECM with that chip....and see how it runs....
I was told my 86/87 ECM had a chip for an 86/87 car. I actually went through my messages from when I bought the ECM... I guess the guy said it has a hypertech chip in it... So its not for a stock car.... But you'd think the INTs wouldn't just max out at idle, but maybe thats what it is. Tomorrow maybe ill swap the 85 ECM back in and see if it runs better.

On a side note how does the intake air temp sensor effect fueling? Does it effect it after its warmed up or no?

The chip is the problem.... Swap back to the stock ECM/chip/maf until you get a new chip burned for your setup.

If I have an 86/87 ECM I keep the 86/87 calpack right or do I need to use my '85 calpack in the 86/87 ECM? Just want to make sure if that could be an issue too

null_zps8880a26a.jpg

Finished the cold air intake, I was hoping it would of went a little further behind the headlight but I can extend it later.

Didnt try to swap back to the '85 ECM just yet. I have the seller of the 86/87 ECM sending me a stock chip to replace the hyper-tech chip that might be causing the issue.

I know my tps wasnt going over 4volts at wot so I wanted to adjust it but it seems to be impossible to get it to be at .44 idle and over 3.5v at wot. I think my throttle cable is stretched. Is there a way to tighten it up a little? I had my gf go wot and then I pushed the throttle body open a little further by hand and it read high enough, so I think its my throttle cable stretched?

So I installed my stock 85 ECM, the scanmaster doesn't show all the parameters, so I can't view my INT & BLMs to see if it is now running correctly. I guess I'd have to drive it and see but I need to change the oil since its probably bad due to the rich conditions.

Here is a picture of my Translator, is this one I can take advantage of the extender chip or no?
null_zps9740ab7a.jpg

Here's some pictures of my 86/86 ECM, can someone confirm if its the right model number and if the chip is correct? Is it the calpack that could be wrong? Idk which chip is called what but it does have the hypertech chip which could be the problem.

null_zps2052911f.jpg

null_zps704774b0.jpg

I should be getting a factory chip in the mail to replace the hyper tech soon, but its not a new TT chip so who knows if that will help. I'm just kinda out of money at the moment

Thanks for the help!

This "stock chip" you are referring to....stock 86-87 or stock 84-85?? The ECM is the correct number for an 86-87 turbo car. The calpack is the small chip. What you have to understand, is the chip (big chip) HAS to match the injectors you are running....otherwise it will not run correctly....period. A stock 86-87 chip in a hot air will not run correctly....especially if you aren't running stock injectors. This is why I (we) keep telling you to get a TT chip burned for your setup.

This "stock chip" you are referring to....stock 86-87 or stock 84-85?? The ECM is the correct number for an 86-87 turbo car. The calpack is the small chip. What you have to understand, is the chip (big chip) HAS to match the injectors you are running....otherwise it will not run correctly....period. A stock 86-87 chip in a hot air will not run correctly....especially if you aren't running stock injectors. This is why I (we) keep telling you to get a TT chip burned for your setup.

A stock 86/87 chip is on its way for free. The car is running rich at idle with the 86/87 ECM using the chips in the picture, the INTs climb after its warmed up. So why would an intercooled car need more fuel even at idle? Maxing out the int to 150? I'm just trying to see if its the hyper-tech chip doing it. Once I put the 86/87 stock chip which will be free, once I install it I would like to see it at least idle @128INT. Shouldn't it be able to at least do that?

Regarding the cal-Pak I just want to make sure it is also correct, can you tell by the number on it in the picture?

I would love to buy a TT chip for this car, like I said its stock injectors, fuel pump, has adj regulator but I have it set at a stock pressure.

Winter coming and not having a garage to work on it is gonna be a problem, also limited funds currently while I try to purchase a home. So I hope this will at least solve my INTs maxing out at idle. Ill post the findings once I get the chip in the mail.

The car is running GREAT!!!! So I switched out the hyper tech chip for a stock 86/87 chip (so I was told). But... I also pulled the small chip out of my 85 ECM and put it into the 86/87. The Ints are now plus or minus 3-5 off of 128 at idle. I haven't driven it yet so I might need to tune a little.

When I bought my 86/87 ECM the seller told me he tested it in his GN and it worked fine, he did say it was a hyper tech chip but I forgot about that important part. He also told me the small chip doesn't need to be changed so I went with what he gave me and it run like shit.

What I learned from this is I don't know if it was the hyper tech chip or the smaller chip, but either way I'm happy its running right, just need to change the oil and hopefully close on my house soon so I can change spark plugs in a garage and do whatever's next.

Glad to hear its running better. Be careful beating in the car with that 86-87 chip in there as the fueling and timing may be a touch aggressive for your hot air setup....hot airs are alot more sensative than the IC cars.

Glad to hear its running better. Be careful beating in the car with that 86-87 chip in there as the fueling and timing may be a touch aggressive for your hot air setup....hot airs are alot more sensative than the IC cars.

Thank you,

Yeah I'm glad its not maxing out the Ints and BLMs, too bad its snowing now and I need to change the oil before I can drive it.

I'll probably buy a TT chip now that I know the car can run right. Maybe a injector/ chip combo, first need to Hotwire the pump, and get a new sending unit / high performance pump, also plugs, wires, and fuel filter.