Bought a '85 T-type, help me spend my money!

Wahoo

It appears to be 100% stock, and we must change that! I want to get the car in tip top shape performance wise. Looks will be maybe next year! I've been reading but I'm still a noob and need some help on picking parts, and where to get them.

First ill need to fix the vacuum lines, I don't trust that they are in perfect shape and connected correctly although it runs pretty good!

Now I've been reading to convert the harness to 86/87 ECM apparently thats the only way I can use a scan master? I'd need a maf translator but whats the deal with the translator pro, it says you can tune with it? Would I really need the scanmaster then?

My goals with the car is to get it running tip top, so I'd need to be able to view o2 readings and possible knock, I'd then like to up the boost and get this baby flying! Does it appear to have a down pipe or something?

Pics:

null-9.jpg

null-10.jpg

null-11.jpg

null-12.jpg

null-13.jpg

My list of parts I'm looking to buy:

Hotwire kit
Adjustable fuel pressure regulator
Boost gauge
Caspers MAT kit
86/87 ECM
LS1 Maf and a Translator(go pro?)
Fuel pump!

Scanmaster?

I do not see "fuel pump" on your list, that is the first thing I would do. :)
Sorry thats on the list too!

Can I even use a scan master before I convert the ECM to 86/87?

Also I don't really know where I should be buying some of these simple things from. Where's the best place to buy everything I need, maybe it will save me on shipping if I get as many things from one place as I can?

Is this the stock ECM

null-16.jpg

Are these the chips people talk about? Sorry I'm a super noob!

null-15.jpg

Yep, stock 85 ecm. 86/87 ecm ends in 148.

Congrats on the new car! You are going to have a lot of fun! (And spend ALL your money!) ;)

Get her in tip top running condition, 87 ecm, electric fan and new rad from ALRADCO to keep her cool and get rid of the mechanical fan and ugly shroud. Then, maybe a bigger turbo from Bison, injectors cleaned by Chuck Leeper, or new larger ones with a chip from Turbotweak, and either alky from Razor or some e-85 if you have it. My Buick lost about 1-2 mpg but gained about 5 psi. 5 psi feels like a new car! Oh, and speaking of psi, get a boost gauge. Do not trust the tach or boost gauge led's!

Yep, stock 85 ecm. 86/87 ecm ends in 148.

Congrats on the new car! You are going to have a lot of fun! (And spend ALL your money!) ;)

Get her in tip top running condition, 87 ecm, electric fan and new rad from ALRADCO to keep her cool and get rid of the mechanical fan and ugly shroud. Then, maybe a bigger turbo from Bison, injectors cleaned by Chuck Leeper, or new larger ones with a chip from Turbotweak, and either alky from Razor or some e-85 if you have it. My Buick lost about 1-2 mpg but gained about 5 psi. 5 psi feels like a new car! Oh, and speaking of psi, get a boost gauge. Do not trust the tach or boost gauge led's!

Thanks!

Yeah I just sen PayPal money to two users today, one for a water temp, boost gauge and a pillar setup.

One for the 86/87 ECM!!!!

So now I need a maf translator or an 86/87 maf?

Also the Casper MAT kit and ill be all set converted?

null-17.jpg

So that rod to the left is for the waste gate, now shouldn't i be able to move the rod in and out of the waste gate by hand to make sure it can operate? I tried and it seems stuck in place.

Also my vacuum lines do they look connected properly like the y tee is it setup properly?

Slow way down upgrades until it is in top stock running condition. A tune up is in first order not making the car go faster. If you don't know when the last tune up was plan on replacing the fuel filter, plug wires, spark plugs, changing all fluids, check for play on the turbo shaft/fin condition, replace worn belts, brakes and hoses, check control arm/body/sway bar bushings and good god block the coolant lines to the throttle body. Double check the front and rear seals for oil leaks. Install some quality gauges boost, water, oil pressure minimum. Your car is bone stock down to the ecm chip. No you can't add a scanmaster w/o upgrading to the 87 ecm first. Forget about the LT1 MAF and translator for a hot air (84/85). You do have a adjustable wastegate rod. Leave it alone until you can monitor boost lbs and knock retard degrees. If it was my car I would ditch that god awful stock fan and install the dual electric fans with Caspers relays first and a Turbo Tweak chip second. You are very limited what you can do with an 84/85 vs 86/87.

I do plan to do electric fans in the future, so ditch the maf translator? Why's that?

The translator is for 86/87 cars. You might be able to use it if it is converted to the 87 ecm not 100% sure on it though.

Well I did buy the 86/87 ECM, just need to buy the caspers MAT and splice it into the harness, I always thought I also needed to do something with the maf?

The plans are to get her running her best in stock form and then go from there.

Still need: scanmaster, fuel pump, Hotwire kit, adj fuel pressure reg. and caspers mat kit.

You sure i don't need to touch the maf?

Most people go with the newer MAF's/translator because the stock MAF has become a restriction. I'm talking hella fast cars in the 10's in the 1/4 mile. Another reason they switch out is the GM MAF is discontinued and only rebuilds are available. My GM stock MAF has been on my car since 6/94. A modern LT/S 1 MAF will likely fail within two years.

Most people go with the newer MAF's/translator because the stock MAF has become a restriction. I'm talking hella fast cars in the 10's in the 1/4 mile. Another reason they switch out is the GM MAF is discontinued and only rebuilds are available. My GM stock MAF has been on my car since 6/94. A modern LT/S 1 MAF will likely fail within two years.
Ok, I just thought that when using the 86/87 ECM you also needed the 86/87 maf, but if I don't that will make things a lot easier on the wallet!!!!

I do need the MAT conversion though right?

Ok...I'll chime in. Converting to the 86-87 ECM only requires the use of the 86-87 MAF or a translator and the LT1/LS1 MAF (which and LESS likely to fail than the stock type)and a chip. You don't need to change the engine harness AT ALL. The only wiring changes you would need to make, are the sending units for the water and oil gauges you are installing, you would need the caspers coil/ign module adapter...but ONLY if you plan to convert to the 86-87 coil pack and ign module(which I wouldn't do until your stocker fails). And you CAN use the scanmaster with the stock ecm...it just wont display as much info at the 86-87 ecm will. Slow down and do things one at a time. I've been through ALL of this myself....and ALOT MORE. Good luck...and take it slow. ---Keith

So looks like I should try to buy a 86/87 maf or go the more expensive route and buy a translator ls1/lt1 maf?