Bought a '85 T-type, help me spend my money!

null_zps8880a26a.jpg

Finished the cold air intake, I was hoping it would of went a little further behind the headlight but I can extend it later.

Didnt try to swap back to the '85 ECM just yet. I have the seller of the 86/87 ECM sending me a stock chip to replace the hyper-tech chip that might be causing the issue.

I know my tps wasnt going over 4volts at wot so I wanted to adjust it but it seems to be impossible to get it to be at .44 idle and over 3.5v at wot. I think my throttle cable is stretched. Is there a way to tighten it up a little? I had my gf go wot and then I pushed the throttle body open a little further by hand and it read high enough, so I think its my throttle cable stretched?

WAHOO
The chip in the picture 16 36 95, you swapped for your HA chip? TURBONUT85 is correct with the assessment of 86-87 ECM/Chip. Your car is going to run rich in current configuration. The Intercooled is aggressive on timing and fuel. Now, the Intercooled chip reads intake temps... The HA is just what it is HOT AIR. The Intercooled chip is looking for cooler temps coming in intake. HA temps can range from 275-300. The intercooled chip/ECM is looking for temps in the 125-140 range. So page attention to tuning. DO NOT get to aggresive. The HA is sensitive... Very sensitive. You will have to take notes and lean fuel or raise boost a pound at a time. TURBONUT85 is correct, you can get a TURBOTWEAK chip and the tuning will be EASIER.... The Hypertech was junk back in the day... Take it slow and you will be alright.

WAHOO
The chip in the picture 16 36 95, you swapped for your HA chip? TURBONUT85 is correct with the assessment of 86-87 ECM/Chip. Your car is going to run rich in current configuration. The Intercooled is aggressive on timing and fuel. Now, the Intercooled chip reads intake temps... The HA is just what it is HOT AIR. The Intercooled chip is looking for cooler temps coming in intake. HA temps can range from 275-300. The intercooled chip/ECM is looking for temps in the 125-140 range. So page attention to tuning. DO NOT get to aggresive. The HA is sensitive... Very sensitive. You will have to take notes and lean fuel or raise boost a pound at a time. TURBONUT85 is correct, you can get a TURBOTWEAK chip and the tuning will be EASIER.... The Hypertech was junk back in the day... Take it slow and you will be alright.

Thanks for the information, yeah I just wanted to make sure the car was capable of running properly, I do plan to get a TT chip but once I have he money for the 80's chip/injector combo, I'd like to go E85. But there is a lot more that needs to be done first, need to do the timing chain so maybe if I have money ill do a cam too since I also need springs.

anyone know where i can find a ram air intake for my 84 gn been looking around and cant seem to find one thier all for 86 87 years

null_zps8880a26a.jpg

Finished the cold air intake, I was hoping it would of went a little further behind the headlight but I can extend it later.

Didnt try to swap back to the '85 ECM just yet. I have the seller of the 86/87 ECM sending me a stock chip to replace the hyper-tech chip that might be causing the issue.

I know my tps wasnt going over 4volts at wot so I wanted to adjust it but it seems to be impossible to get it to be at .44 idle and over 3.5v at wot. I think my throttle cable is stretched. Is there a way to tighten it up a little? I had my gf go wot and then I pushed the throttle body open a little further by hand and it read high enough, so I think its my throttle cable stretched?
hey man where did you get you air intake from?

one more question what do i do with the valve cover breather do i plug it or get new valve cover breathers?

one more question what do i do with the valve cover breather do i plug it or get new valve cover breathers?
My car has a breather on the valve cover. The intake I made myself!

3"-3,5" silicon adapter

1ft 3.5" 90 bend

(2) 3.5" silicon couplers

(1) 1ft 3.5" 45 bend.

Got the parts from www.frozenboost.com

I ran 3.5" intake piping because thats the size of my MAF. I'm using a maf translator.

Update on my car, I've acquired MSD wires(might be for 86-87 so I hope they fit). Walbro 340 fuel pump, a used working electronic climate control to hopefully fix my defrosters that are stock on. Also got a front bumper cushion, some window seals. Have a hot wire kit that needs to be installed along with every thing I just listed.

Still need to do timing chain set and valve springs. Plan to purchase 80#injector/chip E-85 combo.

Last edited:
do you know if i can keep the stock MAF? or do i have to get a new one?

If you read all of this(my) thread, it will provide you with the necessary steps to take with a new to you Hot Air car.

Unfortunately a lot of this thread has useless posts from me battling a high BLM which was due to he wrong chip in my ECM. Also had a bad wastegate actuator, it wouldn't open the wastegate so my boost spiked.

So now its winter and I never got to drive the car in good running stock form to see how it feels.

What you need to do is buy these parts:

Scan master

86/87 ECM

Turbo tweak chip to match your setup

Fuel pump hot wire kit

New valve springs

Timing chain set

Boost gauge

Could be more but thats just to get it running properly and safely.

Also read all the stickies in the hot air section of the forum

That's great you got the BLMs down. I think it is funny that in AUGUST I posted about changing the chip out and that was probably the issue, but was told that it wasn't. Lol at least you got it running well man KEEP IT UP!!

Thanks, yeah I'm glad I got over that hurtle lol, I think my next steps are going to be oil pressure gauge and leak down test before I spend too much money in case there are some hidden issues.

Sweet thanks guys getting my gn running good just got to replace the valve cover gaskets. Still have questions about the valve cover breather, will i be able to take it off to put oil? Im getting the big mouth air intake from buickgn and not shure to buy a V/C breather or just plug it but everyone i talk to says get one beacuse to much pressure will build, what u guys think?

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Spend the money on the reusable valve cover gaskets. Yes run a push in style breather. If I was going to buy a new one is get the angled one that rjc sells. It also has a baffle in it. Should work well.