You can type here any text you want

Boxed stock control arms VS UMI tubulars

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Rich Gio

You'll need a bigger Hemi
I just did a search on rear control arms, bushings and sway bars and my head is spinning. Too....much...information!

I have the stock LCA and UCA's, HD springs, and KYB shocks in my car. The UCA bushings in the rear housing are poly. (I know...I did it years ago and I Ain't changing them EVER again!) I use the car on the street, primarily, but I will take it to the track a few times a year. I was wondering what the concensus is... should I box my upper and lower stock control arms, and replace the bushings with rubber or Moog thermo plastic OR just box the uppers and get UMI tubular LCA's? I plan on using the stock sway bar.

My 60' times now are attrocious (best of 1.9) due to wheel hop. I use MT ET streets at the track, BTW.

I am happy with boxed stockers. They may help your wheel hop, but sounds like there may be something else not jiving with your setup. What HD springs do you have? Which KYBs? Are they adjustable?

What HD springs do you have? Which KYBs? Are they adjustable?

Not sure on the springs, I'll have to check. I put them in 18 years ago! The shocks are NOT adjustable.

You Navy? My Screen name should be "Squid4SixYears" :D

Not sure on the springs, I'll have to check. I put them in 18 years ago! The shocks are NOT adjustable.

You Navy? My Screen name should be "Squid4SixYears" :D

Reason I ask about the springs is sometimes they are too stiff and the car will not squat far. Sinks an inch then bounces up, unloading the tires. Worn shocks don't help this either, but mainly see it with the springs. Check the frame support across from frame rail to rail too. I have seen a few crack, causing mad wheelhop.

Yes on the Navy. Give me your six and I can retire!!!!!!!! (I am at 14 :biggrin: )

What did you do in the Navy?

I have a pretty mild suspension setup on my GN. Boxed stock lowers with AutoZone rubber bushings (total of $50 invested), 100% stock original uppers including bushings,.KYB GR-2 shocks, AirLift airbags (both sides), and a ATR-replica swaybar. My best 60' on a 255/50/R16 MT DR is a 1.57 off a ~7psi footbrake launch.

My car is 100% street legal with working everything still intact and a 36mm front swaybar.

Hope this helps.

Reason I ask about the springs is sometimes they are too stiff and the car will not squat far. Sinks an inch then bounces up, unloading the tires. Worn shocks don't help this either, but mainly see it with the springs. Check the frame support across from frame rail to rail too. I have seen a few crack, causing mad wheelhop.

I agree. At your power level you should not be having any suspension issues. I'm running 10.90's@125mph on stock suspension. :)

1.41s on boxed stock lowers with bushings ,stock uppers, stock rear coils no air bags off brand 3way adjustable shocks

oh and a hr swaybar doesnt hurt

Yes on the Navy. Give me your six and I can retire!!!!!!!! (I am at 14 :biggrin: )

What did you do in the Navy?

Ex MM1 Submarine "Nuke" , you?

Ok, so I'm reading this as boxed lowers and new bushings would be fine for my set up? Hard to tell with all the low 60' time braggin' going on here! :)

1.48 60' with the the following components:

stock rear sway bar
air bags left and right
boxed stock lowers with poly bushings
stock uppers with poly bushings
Competition Engineering drag shocks 90/10 front and 50/50 rear
stock springs
275/60R15MT drag radials at 18#
front sway bar was removed

Launch was at 3800 RPM and 12# boost.

Back