You can type here any text you want

Brake light stuck on (non P/M)

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Timbuick

On my '86 GN the brake light has come on and stays on. I have a vac system fom Aggressive Autos which is a year old. The brakes don't 'feel' different and seem to perform fine.
I had stopped whilst out on a test drive (testing my alky kit). I fixed the earth that was causing my alky issues. started the car to drive way and saw the brake light on, presumed it was the E brake, but that was off.
Any idea what would trigger this light?

I had this happen and it was a small button down behind the brake pedal that needs adjusting.

Thanks i'll check that first. I'd been standing on the brakes trying to get onto a busy highway at the time. Maybe the switch didn't like it.

Wait, you are talking about the brake warning light in the dash, right? The switch by the pedal is for illuminating (or not) your exterior brake lights.

Check your proportioning valve to see if the valve under the rubber cover is popped out.
Here's a pic of where it is:
prop-valve.jpg

Ignore the writing in the pic since it's from my hydroboost install article. If it is, there is a procedure to reset the valve.

On my '86 GN the brake light has come on and stays on. I have a vac system fom Aggressive Autos which is a year old. The brakes don't 'feel' different and seem to perform fine.
I had stopped whilst out on a test drive (testing my alky kit). I fixed the earth that was causing my alky issues. started the car to drive way and saw the brake light on, presumed it was the E brake, but that was off.
Any idea what would trigger this light?

Since you were under the dash installing the akly kit you didn't press down the E-brake just a little did you?

Should only be 3 things that trigger the brake light.
Proportioning valve
Emergency brake switch
Power master brake pressure switch

I'm going with Alan's guess.

Thanks for the quick replies guys. The alky kit was already installed, but the earth was bad. I turned off the kit, but the dash light was showing empty (as it was, before I refilled it) and cured the bad earth, filled with alky and turned the system on and at the same time as the 'empty/low' light went out on the dash, the brake light came on!
On my '86 the warning lights for 'low' and 'brake' are in close proximity, just a thought.
Could be entirely coincidental, but who knows. In the meantime, i'll treat it as a separate issue and follow the advice posted above, tanks again.

Either the proportioning valve...(meaning an external leak in the brake system...un-likely) or the E-Brake switch. I would lean toward the E-Brake switch. ---Keith

Well guys, i found it! Nasty brake pipe leak over the rear axle due to corrosion. Once i've rectified this I presume that I will still have to reset the proportioning valve as indicated in the above posts?

Back