Building a better Sleeper - Turbo Six Style

sd-slider

NOWUFFO
I have a complete 87 55K GN drivetrain and all of the wiring(from a wrecker) all the way back to the posi rear.

I'm searching for a donor car and came accross a few candidates.

I have a shot @ a couple different 65-66 Novas, one is a four door with hardly any rust minus the drivetrain for really cheap, or a 2 door that needs a LOT of work for a few cents more. I also have a line on a 67 Skylark GS340 with a fair amount of bondo and work that has been done, but the car looks "decent" as it sits.

I see a lot of pro-street 4 doors @ the shows, anyone done a mid 60's Chevy conversion?

Any info or comments would be appreciated.

=Eric

If you want a sleeper the 4 door nova is by far the best choice of the bunch, not to mention it doesnt need as much work as the others. IMO

I was thinking the same thing....

After doing some searching, the 4 door Chevy II's are a nice looking car.:smile:

I go to look @ it later today.....we'll see what happens.

I though you where going to do your GS that would be a cool hybrid.

After being flogged repeatedly(in public...) about destroying a "numbers" car...I have started entertaining other ideas.

It may still happen....Stay Tuned! :smile:

The good news is regardless of what I start with, the drivetrain and the mods will eventually migrate to something new and exciting....

do the 4 door they will never suspect a thing, hell look at my five door

I just may do that. I go talk with the seller of the 65 Nova tomorrow and we'll see how low he's willing to go. Aside from some surface rust and maybe three small rust holes, it's a pretty clean project car for around ~$900.

:cool:

Those 64-67 Nova are very light. The damn thing would be a beast without even trying. They can be 800-1000 lbs lighter than a TR. The 4 door would be a cool sleeper for sure.

Those 64-67 Nova are very light. The damn thing would be a beast without even trying. They can be 800-1000 lbs lighter than a TR. The 4 door would be a cool sleeper for sure.

Like this one built at Wheel to Wheel:eek:

Attachments

• 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 948
  • 22.jpg
    22.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 947
  • 33.jpg
    33.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 946
  • 44.jpg
    44.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 969
That Nova W2W built was absolutely sick! Really ashame W2W went under cause they built some really cool rides.:(

Me too...lost my job:( ...worked there for seven good years....:D

Got a 4 door Rambler here if you want to come get her. A 68 4 door LeSabre as well that would have a lot of room for the engine and tranny.

Getting ready for the Flaming.....

Well, the process has come full circle....

I currently own an all original 66 Skylark GS #'s car with a 401 Nailhead in need of a refresh/possible rebuild. The car is currently a 6 out of 10 as far as body/paint are concerned...

My original plan was to put the drivetrain in that car for a pure Buick hybrid without cutting or welding any original parts for the transplant.

Is it possible to pull the stock motor, trans, rear end, and without "violating" the car, drop this thing in there? Aside from the new frame pads, upper control arms, and wiring access through the firewall, there shouldn't be any other major mods.

I plan to buy any parts that would get modified or mauled in the process for the return of the Nailhead and original trans for #'s purposes when the GN stuff comes out.

I honestly don't have room for a fourth car....:redface:

Well, the process has come full circle....

I currently own an all original 66 Skylark GS #'s car with a 401 Nailhead in need of a refresh/possible rebuild. The car is currently a 6 out of 10 as far as body/paint are concerned...

My original plan was to put the drivetrain in that car for a pure Buick hybrid without cutting or welding any original parts for the transplant.

Is it possible to pull the stock motor, trans, rear end, and without "violating" the car, drop this thing in there? Aside from the new frame pads, upper control arms, and wiring access through the firewall, there shouldn't be any other major mods.

I plan to buy any parts that would get modified or mauled in the process for the return of the Nailhead and original trans for #'s purposes when the GN stuff comes out.

I honestly don't have room for a fourth car....:redface:

NO FLAMING here! It's your car do what you like. This is a hobby, do what makes YOU "feel good". It's not like you are building a GNX clone or tuning a real one into a twin turbo V-8:eek: Enjoy your project and don't forget to POST UP the pics!

Some pics of the GS...

Here's a couple shots of the GS in question...

This project/combination has always been my first choice! :cool:

Attachments

• skeeter.jpg
    skeeter.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 879
  • skeeter-b.jpg
    skeeter-b.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 853
  • skeeter-c.jpg
    skeeter-c.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 834
  • skeeter-d.jpg
    skeeter-d.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 844
  • skeeter-e.jpg
    skeeter-e.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 861
That 66 is a beautiful car!
I would do the transplant in a heart beat.

Im in the same situation, my dad bought a 67 firebird in 1970. Its a red on red hardtop 400 4 speed with the all original parts on it. Never been modified.

Well, been kicking around the idea of the buick v6 drivetrain, but still cant commit to cutting the car up to do it. Paint was done in 1979, and the eagle st tires are almost as old as my 87 turbo buicks.

If you do decide to go with the install, make sure you do it to perfection or you will never be satisfied with it.

Im thinking frame off, powdercoating the frame, upgrade the brakes to discs, all the works.
Any under the hood shots of that sweet ride?
Oh, by the way, i read your thread when you first started talking about a hybrid and what to stick it into. The car i thought would work really well, welp i thought of a 67 GTO.... or a lemans to convert into a gto. :)
BW

The car i thought would work really well, welp i thought of a 67 GTO.... or a lemans to convert into a gto. :)
BW

Turns out, the GTO didn't even have a VIN plate....:eek:

The VIN I was given for my research was from another car.....:(

I'll get some Nailhead shots in a few minutes....:cool:

That 66 is a beautiful car!
I would do the transplant in a heart beat.

Im in the same situation, my dad bought a 67 firebird in 1970. Its a red on red hardtop 400 4 speed with the all original parts on it. Never been modified.

Well, been kicking around the idea of the buick v6 drivetrain, but still cant commit to cutting the car up to do it. Paint was done in 1979, and the eagle st tires are almost as old as my 87 turbo buicks.

If you do decide to go with the install, make sure you do it to perfection or you will never be satisfied with it.

Im thinking frame off, powdercoating the frame, upgrade the brakes to discs, all the works.
Any under the hood shots of that sweet ride?
Oh, by the way, i read your thread when you first started talking about a hybrid and what to stick it into. The car i thought would work really well, welp i thought of a 67 GTO.... or a lemans to convert into a gto. :)
BW

HAHA my first car was 1967 Firebird. I bougth it with a chevy drivetrain conversion already done with a 307 :rolleyes: LOL ended up building a ( warmed over )350 and that lil car could scoot

If I still had it I would have converted it by now :biggrin: