buying new fuel pump do i need to upgrade

kneeshurt

87 gn 70k all stock. i plan to upgrade air intake and exhaust. hot wire pump. and get a chip. do i need to upgrade fuel pump. i need one and thinking about a new ac delco for about $75. i have been told not to waste money for a performance pump with these minor mods. what do u think.

If you're replacing it....a better flowing pump would be my choice.

I've enjoyed my Reds XP and it does not cost much more than the Delco unit.

I love Red Armstrong's double pumper. It is so quite and give me tons of fuel. He runs it in his 9 sec car. I plan to use it when I convert to E85 in near future.

A performance pump is not that much more than a stock replacement. It can't hurt. Plus if you ever decide later to do any more extensive upgrades...

The stock pump is just barely adequate for the stock setup.

A hotwired stock pump is probably enough for a stock turbo, stock injector car. The minute you exceed that, you will need a better pump.

Did your stock pump fail? Why are you replacing it?

Bob

fuel pump in the car now is getting very loud and the last two times i took the car for a ride it would buck and quit when i gave more than half thottle after about ten minutes of driving

A performance pump is essential for any upgrades you might do on the car.

I would get a good single pump not a double pumper because these days the alky kits (Razors) are almost always used with a good performing car. The alky kits throw so much fuel that a single performance pump is all you will need to run 10s all day. You may not want to go that fast but you will have the capacity to do it.

If you are a Buick guy you will say that you don't see yourself going that fast but you will.:)

i was at the same point and did the upgrade .The reason why is if you look in the for sale section most cars have upgrades and it has not hurt the resale value at all . There are some people that prefer that somebody else spent their money . My only knock is that the pump is louder and can be heard below a 1/4 tank of gas . I did it myself and learnd about my car a little more

ok an upgrade seems to be the smart thing to do. next question can anyone recomend a good brand thanks

Many opinions on which pump is best. I use the Supra / Denso & it is quiet, however $$.

I would recommedn going to an upgraded pump

The stock is barely adequate stock, Just a chip can make it be way less than needed.

The RED XP Denso Supra or the latest GSS 340 will work fine for your needs. I also recommend when doing this to also either purchase or build a fule pump hotwire kit. It will help your new pump perform better and last longer.