You can type here any text you want

C-Clip Eliminators

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Sal Lubrano

Was thinking about getting rid of the the weakest link in my drive train. Can someone please list my options of the different companies which sell kits to eliminate the c-clips.

Was thinking about getting rid of the the weakest link in my drive train. Can someone please list my options of the different companies which sell kits to eliminate the c-clips.

I you don't cut and weld, I have a nice set that I picked up from gbodyparts and I have them in the for sell section right now. Let me know which way you decide to go. What ever way you decide good luck.

Do it right, chop the ends off and weld on Ford ends.

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

Take what Billy said very seriously.

The c-clip eliminator axles are not much stronger than stock. This was a $3k lesson I recently learned.:eek:

Doubt that I will be replacing the 33 spline axles soon.:)

im running 33 spline moser axles and moser 9000 elims ,on my third elim on passenger side.. spool is a little hard on them but still ...next time it leaks from elim bearing its getting ford style ends ,
should have done them after the first one leaked and spent the 160+ i spent on a new pair of elims on the ford ends /bearings and big brakes

Could someone explain what/how to do the ford style ends? Had thought about doing the C-Clip eliminators and had read that most all of them leaked, didn't know there was another option.

Ford ends leak sometimes too. Ask me how I know.:smile: I ended up putting some Seals-it axle seals inboard in the axle tubes to hopefully eliminate any more problems. Ford big bearings I have are sealed units that don't need any lube so far so good.

Ford ends

Is the tude dia the same as gm 10.5 rear. Also the gives you more options if you choose to upgrade to rear disk brakes?Wish i new about this before i put eliminators on.

The way I do them:
I have all the tools needed for such work, including:
Chop saw.
Plasma cutter.
Large disc sander.
Tig and mig welders.
Alignment fixture.

All this is with the hsg empty, and clean.
I determine if I want to alter the OAL of the hsg, before I do any cutting. [Possible, as you will want to order axles to fit]
Once the cuts are located, I cut off the oem flanges, bevel the end of the tubes, install the alignment fixture, and assemble the new ends on the fixture thru rod. [This keeps the axle brgs, carrier brgs aligned on the same C/L.]
I then TACK the new ends onto the tubes.
Once this is done, I weld short lengths, changing side to side, to minimize warping.
If you are going to do this, I'd suggest you use Art Morrison, or another vendor's ends, that are made w/provisions for seals, other than the sealed brg.
I think I paid about $60.00 a pr.. But that's been some yrs ago.
NOTE:
If you already have the backing plates, BE SURE you have the correct bolt pattern on the flanges.
Some street rod, brake vendors, sell "loaded" backing plates. [ready to bolt on..A good choice, IMO. Or, pop for discs]
Order your new axles w/ GM bolt pattern, then all you have to do is drill the drums... DONE DEAL!

Thanks for the info Chuck. Since I don't have any of the tools necessary, it looks like it'll cost me some $$$, but it sounds better than having to repair or 1/4 panel... or worse

PA080002.jpg

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

I installed a Moser spool and axles with c-clip eliminators years ago and never had a problem with it. The secret to prevent leakage is to use a seal pressed inside the axle tube just behind the bearing and that's it! :wink: No need to cut and weld...just cut a little off the tube ends for the blocks that houses the bearings...:rolleyes: If you don't want a spool, you can use a posi instead...

Claude. :)

I installed a Moser spool and axles with c-clip eliminators years ago and never had a problem with it. The secret to prevent leakage is to use a seal pressed inside the axle tube just behind the bearing and that's it! :wink: No need to cut and weld...just cut a little off the tube ends for the blocks that houses the bearings...:rolleyes: If you don't want a spool, you can use a posi instead...

thats all fine claude but the leaks i had were from the grease in the elim bearings , inner seal wouldnt have helped actually would have lead to bearing failure in short time due to no lube , really dont know why they didnt just set the elims up like the fords instead of using a sealed bearing , let the grease get to the bearing and seal it on the outside.
and this is on a car that doesnt see a lot of street miles .. 1/4mi at a time and usually on a trailer
oh and have you priced a 33 spline posi lately $$$$$

thats all fine claude but the leaks i had were from the grease in the elim bearings , inner seal wouldnt have helped actually would have lead to bearing failure in short time due to no lube , really dont know why they didnt just set the elims up like the fords instead of using a sealed bearing , let the grease get to the bearing and seal it on the outside.
and this is on a car that doesnt see a lot of street miles .. 1/4mi at a time and usually on a trailer
oh and have you priced a 33 spline posi lately $$$$$

Paul, I 've had this setup for quite some time now without any issue ever, and I do drive it in the summer...:wink:
As for checking the price for some 33 spline axles, no I haven't...but I suppose they just don't give them away don't they?...:rolleyes:

See 'ya,

i didnt mean to imply you didn't drive yours ... i was stating my usage , mostly 1/4's and trailered with limited street use, i think i have under 1200 miles in past 3yrs and did the driver elim twice
and the 33 axles aren't too pricey , its the posi center section i meant , i think mark williams is the only place to get one built and they aren't cheap ., if i thought 30 splines were fine I'd run a posi and ill concede the spool is hard on the elims
i did elims in my 87 with 28 superior axles back in '03 and those have lmany 1/4 runs and lots of long distance drives and street miles with about 6,000 miles since install , but i also was able to keep that posi with an eaton unit.

i didnt mean to imply you didn't drive yours ... i was stating my usage , mostly 1/4's and trailered with limited street use, i think i have under 1200 miles in past 3yrs and did the driver elim twice
and the 33 axles aren't too pricey , its the posi center section i meant , i think mark williams is the only place to get one built and they aren't cheap ., if i thought 30 splines were fine I'd run a posi and ill concede the spool is hard on the elims
i did elims in my 87 with 28 superior axles back in '03 and those have lmany 1/4 runs and lots of long distance drives and street miles with about 6,000 miles since install , but i also was able to keep that posi with an eaton unit.

Well, I'm like you...I drive it once in a while and I also attend a local gathering every Friday night (I trailer it to the races though...), weather permitting of course...:rolleyes:
As for a posi, after having gone through three posi units (stock GM, and two Auburn units), I decided to go with a Moser spool (about $195. back then) to go with the axles I already had, and I haven't had any issue since. I was also pleasantly surprised with the driveability with the spool which is noticeable every now and then on some very sharp turns (like when parking the car), but that's about it...:wink:

Back