C5 brake upgrade using Blazer spindles

Zoliaster

"By any chance, do you know how much the C5 caliper brackets are from the dealer? Oh, and we should start another thread just for the C5 brakes, IMHO."

I don't know yet how much the brackets are yet. I'm going to try to call the dealer tomorrow. I wouldn't think they would be too much.

If you get a chance send me the address, thanks!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I actually did, but the caliper brackets were missing one banjo screw on each side. If you want his email address let me know. By any chance, do you know how much the C5 caliper brackets are from the dealer? Oh, and we should start another thread just for the C5 brakes, IMHO.

I ordered 13" Baer rotors today! Considering these C5 calipers, looks like they come with the brackets. I'm gonna call tomorrow.

http://www.touring-classics.com/Calipers.htm

From the pick they don't say "Corvette" on them either. If someone could engrave "Grand National" and paint (or powdercoat) them that would be cool!

Hope this works!

For those just tuning in check out the last few pages of "11" bolt on brakes" for the pics of the C5 rotors and calipers on the blazer spindle.

Are you looking for the abutment brackets? IIRC, they are pretty friggin expensive from the dealer from what I've heard when I was researching the LS1 swap. If you don't have the calipers yet there is a company that sells the C5 calipers along with the brackets for around $300 (I think). I posted a link to the site a couple months ago. If I'm completely off base just forget I ever posted his.

Bandaid- I recommend you do this, when is the last time you drove up to another Gbody and see BIG 13" brakes just popping out of the side of their wheels? That's always been BAER catalog front cover stuff for me, I've been into these cars for years, and all that I've known available before this was the B-body upgrade, which seemed like a hassle, but now; bolt on C5 brakes?, c'mon you just have to go for it! :cool:

Let's leave the stock brakes for the lowriders!!!! :biggrin:

You dont need to convince me ,,,I am sold ....
I just wish someone would make a parts list of what and where to buy ,I am gone 18hrs aday and dont have time to read all this stuff....
I already have the zq8 brakes sitting on the floor of the garage collecting dust,now need to know what else I need

thanks for figure this out guys.... :smile: :smile:

hboost said:
Bandaid- I recommend you do this, when is the last time you drove up to another Gbody and see BIG 13" brakes just popping out of the side of their wheels? That's always been BAER catalog front cover stuff for me, I've been into these cars for years, and all that I've known available before this was the B-body upgrade, which seemed like a hassle, but now; bolt on C5 brakes?, c'mon you just have to go for it! :cool:

Let's leave the stock brakes for the lowriders!!!! :biggrin:

man you want to but C5 stuff on all your cars, C6s on your pontiac and C5 wheels and brakes on your TR, sh#t man i that are logan was, WE BRAKE FOR CORVETTES, not LETS UPGRADE TO CORVETTE STANDARDS. TURBO REGAL ALL THE WAY BABY :eek: :eek: :biggrin:

next thing you know theres going to be corvette transplants into TR bodys and corvette bucket seats instalations. IM JUST SAYING....

Ok, Here's some general info on how to get your stuff for your C5 conversion...

Get the calipers and caliper brackets from http://www.touring-classics.com/Calipers.htm
$350

Get the C5 brake adaptor bracket from jasonehurst@aol.com
$100

Get the blazer ZQ8 spindles from your local wrecking yard or ebay.
$80-100per side at local wrecking yard or,
$350 shipped from ebay.

You will need C5 corvette rotors. Since there is a wide variety and alot of controversy in which rotors to run, I will go by what I've seen.
$60-500 that's ranging from real cheap ones on ebay and the real expensive ones from Baerbrakes.com.

I will get info on the steel braided lines needed for this swap later.....

marred4life said:
man you want to but C5 stuff on all your cars, C6s on your pontiac and C5 wheels and brakes on your TR, sh#t man i that are logan was, WE BRAKE FOR CORVETTES, not LETS UPGRADE TO CORVETTE STANDARDS. TURBO REGAL ALL THE WAY BABY :eek: :eek: :biggrin:

I hate to admit it but I kinda agree with you. The problem is when I go out playing I can overheat my brakes in NO TIME!!!! :mad: Thats why I got the calipers from touring classics. They don't say corvette on them. If I had to get the ones with vette on them I was going to grind it off. I'm trying to find the font (hint to anyone who may know) that Grand National or Buick is written in to have that engraved on the caliper. I'm using the vette stuff because its a lot less expensive that getting a custom set-up. Who knows maybe I should just learn how to drive, but 13" look way cool!

Rick

Zoliaster said:
I hate to admit it but I kinda agree with you. The problem is when I go out playing I can overheat my brakes in NO TIME!!!! :mad: Thats why I got the calipers from touring classics. They don't say corvette on them. If I had to get the ones with vette on them I was going to grind it off. I'm trying to find the font (hint to anyone who may know) that Grand National or Buick is written in to have that engraved on the caliper. I'm using the vette stuff because its a lot less expensive that getting a custom set-up. Who knows maybe I should just learn how to drive, but 13" look way cool!

Rick

im just kidding with you guys, im just messing around with HBOOST, im upgrading my brakes to but im going with the IMPALA SS setup. later down the line i might upgrade to the vette setup, ill just wait till HBOOST is done with his.

BandAid said:
Brake hose's????

If you want to run s/s braided brake hose I use the Russell kit for the G-body p/n 692100 as for using OEM style rubber hose I have used the stock hoses when I installed the C5 to ZQ8 conversion on my 99 S-10 Xtreme. The ZQ8 hoses that came with the ZQ8 spindles were to short. If the stock G-body hoses are to short stock B-body hoses might be longer. I'll do some checking tomarrow.