C5 rear brakes need extra clearance??

dbranco

I just installed the flynbye rear bracket and everything lined up great after a bit of grinding the flange for backer plate. The issue when bolted all together the rotor hits the inside of the brake bracket.
It needs .075" more clearance, thinking about machining the bracket .075" more to shift it back and to be in center of rotor.
I am posting pics of the car lowered and the front brakes that were done last month.

Just seeing if anyone else had this problem with the caliper bracket, looks like I wont need to relocate the strut either but wont know till I get her on the ground and weight on the rear axle.

Any advise or concern I would appreciate.

Attachments

• Rear brakes 1.jpg
    Rear brakes 1.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 126
  • GN brakes 2.jpg
    GN brakes 2.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 115
  • GN brakes 1.jpg
    GN brakes 1.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 106
  • lowered.jpg
    lowered.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 113
Hard to picture exactly what you're describing because I haven't seen the flynbye bracket, but the clearance issue (caliper not centered over rotor) is usually caused by the carrier shimming used to set up backlash/rear gear pattern. The axle flange to housing flange offset is affected by the shimming (and manufacturing design/tolerances on the carrier), I think mine were different by 0.090" on each side. I had a thread on here a while back about how I adapted the C5/C6 rears with parking brakes, and it was a lot of milling due to the unequal offsets side to side. There's really nothing you can do about it but get custom length axles, ditch the C-clips, or mill the brake brackets.

Due to the shallower hat of the C5/C6 rear rotor, you should be able to get away without shock relocation as well.

The passanger side I will mill the caliper bracket .070" and the driver side it has to be .085".... Crazy that far apart from each other...
I dropped them off at the local machine shop and hopefully I can get them tomorrow. Do they have to be perfectly in the center? I am thinking as long as the brake float off .010" no big deal??