CA Smog Nazi's at it again

1BADDAM

Venomous Snake Handler
Just a heads up.....

Smogged the TTA today. Unknown to me they lowered all the maximum allowable emissions by 30% across the board since last time I had the car smogged in 08. :mad:

MAX HC @ 15 - 80 ppm (74)
MAX HC @ 25 - 62 ppm (61)

MAX CO @ 15 - .52% (.11)
MAX CO @ 25 - .42% (.07)

MAX NO @ 15 - 549 ppm (527)
MAX NO @ 25 - 507 ppm (381)

Just squeeked by in most areas. I did the usual pre-smog routine, plugs, oil, etc. and even threw in 3 gallons of E-85 to half a tank of 91 - which lowered my HC's quite a bit as I'm usually in the hi 90's low 100's. Good thing as I would have failed for sure.

Good luck if you still have to do it.

It's all a scam to get $ out of our wallets.
It stopped being about the environment a long time ago.

It's about the money. Sales tax and higher license fees when you are forced to get rid of your older car and buy a newer one.

They can lower the pass/fail but we can't do anything to make the vehicle run cleaner.

Typical greedy govt parasites.

Time to revert back to the amount of govt we had in 1780.

Just a heads up.....

Smogged the TTA today. Unknown to me they lowered all the maximum allowable emissions by 30% across the board since last time I had the car smogged in 08. :mad:

MAX HC @ 15 - 80 ppm (74) 130 ppm
MAX HC @ 25 - 62 ppm (61) 105 ppm

MAX CO @ 15 - .52% (.11) 0.81%
MAX CO @ 25 - .42% (.07) 0.61%

MAX NO @ 15 - 549 ppm (527) 1115 ppm
MAX NO @ 25 - 507 ppm (381) 945 ppm

Just squeeked by in most areas. I did the usual pre-smog routine, plugs, oil, etc. and even threw in 3 gallons of E-85 to half a tank of 91 - which lowered my HC's quite a bit as I'm usually in the hi 90's low 100's. Good thing as I would have failed for sure.

Good luck if you still have to do it.

Are you sure about your numbers? I just had my GN smogged two weeks ago in Murrieta and the max. numbers from the read out was: see above
Jeff

There is a longer thread on 3rd gen org
CA smog nazi's - Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

They are supposed to use the same numbers, but apparently that doesn't always happen.
And they want the smog shops to upgrade to video machines so the test is video recorded.
One tech got fined $500 because he told a customer his car would fail because the Check Engine light was on. It was a CARB sting. CARB wants lots of cars to fail to justify their job and the program. It would not surprise me if CARB and AQMD had dozens of cars that fail and take them out all the time to skew the numbers.
Lying greedy govt parasites.

There is a longer thread on 3rd gen org
CA smog nazi's - Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

They are supposed to use the same numbers, but apparently that doesn't always happen.
And they want the smog shops to upgrade to video machines so the test is video recorded.
One tech got fined $500 because he told a customer his car would fail because the Check Engine light was on. It was a CARB sting. CARB wants lots of cars to fail to justify their job and the program. It would not surprise me if CARB and AQMD had dozens of cars that fail and take them out all the time to skew the numbers.
Lying greedy govt parasites.

I owned & ran a general repair shop & smog station for many years till 2002 & what you saying is correct it's all about the failure numbers & their miserable thankless jobs. I had an obvious undercover car come in one time & just ***** him over & wrote across the work order that the car was a gross polluter & should be scrapped. So I got a visit a little while later from two smog pigs & they started chastising me over my attitude. I then turned around & proceeded to chew their a**** about letting a gross polluter roam the streets while I'm trying to combat pollution. They finally came to the conclusion that I was nuts & left me alone. I basically was in the program to serve my good customers & wanted no part of competing with the pass or don't pay $29.95 middle eastern run smog shops at the time. I was too busy in the back room hopping up Buick's & trying to figure out how to get a few more tenth's out of my TT V/6 & set records.That shop & the smog program are long gone but nuts is still with me & still have no use for the dumb bastards.

I owned & ran a general repair shop & smog station for many years till 2002 & what you saying is correct it's all about the failure numbers & their miserable thankless jobs. I had an obvious undercover car come in one time & just ***** him over & wrote across the work order that the car was a gross polluter & should be scrapped. So I got a visit a little while later from two smog pigs & they started chastising me over my attitude. I then turned around & proceeded to chew their **** about letting a gross polluter roam the streets while I'm trying to combat pollution. They finally came to the conclusion that I was nuts & left me alone. I basically was in the program to serve my good customers & wanted no part of competing with the pass or don't pay $29.95 middle eastern run smog shops at the time. I was too busy in the back room hopping up Buick's & trying to figure out how to get a few more tenth's out of my TT V/6 & set records.That shop & the smog program are long gone but nuts is still with me & still have no use for the dumb bastards.

LOL
That was hilarious.:biggrin:

I don't understand how they can alter the numbers on a form that is printed from a central California government agency.
Jeff

If you had any idea how **** up the computer systems of the State of CA are, you would not ask that question.

A CA dept I have to deal with daily wants the data in feet but the allowable error in meters. How dumb is that.

Are you sure about your numbers? I just had my GN smogged two weeks ago in Murrieta and the max. numbers from the read out was: see above
Jeff

Jeff,

Smog001.jpg

I wish I took my car up the street to Murrieta, apparently Temecula has cracked down.:biggrin:

Kidding aside, I've seen different MAX numbers on all my smog test since the "enhanced" version has come out. My last test in 08', MAX HC's actually went up by 2 ppm vs the 06' MAX on the 15 mph (go figure) To sum up what injdinjn said, I don't think our state officials can find their *** with both hands and the bottom line is that old cars don't generate as much revenue as new one's do.

State Of California and the Oboma Adminstration

Hey guys the writing is on the walls that the current administration tightening everything up in a effort to get us to have to take the vehicles that we enjoy so much off the road or even worse crush them so that we all will have the new thrill of driving Smat Cars (or not so smart if you get in an accident) so that we are just like many cars in Europe that have big block torque from their 1.3 liter NA roller skate. I'm sure the standards will continue to tighten until these and many others are removed from our highways. Hey but look at the good side (if there is one) you can always buy a book or go to some museum or maybe even a drag strip after you get a permit to buy some race fuel( if you can afford it). The new America!

10-4 That is way I am working on my 1963 Ford Galaxie, 390 cam headers stall converter and any other modifications that I want or can afford to do. My last galaxie ran 10:50 on juice witha 427. 390 shoud run 12-13 with mild mods. Save on insurance and DMV fees ro boot.