You can type here any text you want

cam sensor dilemma

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

newtownhood

Car Audio and Electronics guy.
so my cam sensor apparently got smashed at the shop that was building my engine. I looked on ebay and they range from $150-$350. why such a wide range? Are there better ones? Can I get by with a used one? Also, do I need that LED tool to set it, or will my new machine shop know that procedure?

What did they smash, the cap or the actual long metal sensor. If its just a cap get the caspers cap with the led built in, not needed but life just gets that much easier

Stock cam sensor caps available if you need one

If they smashed it..............they buy you a new one. I've killed parts working on cars, I buy new ones. No stand up shop would argue . If they argue about this..................I would be concerned about their build more than the cost of a new sensor. How exactly did they hurt the sensor? They are pretty well protected. Most shops do not time the sensor unless they are installing and starting the engine. YOU MUST prime the oiling system before start up which requires the cam sensor to be out. If you are installing the engine it is up to you to prime the system and install and time the cam sensor. Not really hard to do. If you need verbal instruction on how to do this, drop me a pm for my phone number and I'll be happy to walk you through it over the phone.

http://www.casperselectronics.com/store2/product_info.php?products_id=1339
It's a really long story about my engine...anyway the guy that last handled the engine is dead. So no asking him for the sensor haha. I'm just glad I got the parts back that I did. It was only the actual sensor part that's broken and missing. The whole top/plug/senor assembly is gone, I can just see the metal wheel inside. I think I'll go with this Caspers one that oldsracer suggested unless anybody has objections? I'm running a Comp Roller so I guess this one is better for aftermarket cams anyway?

I would go with a stock cap. I've had bad luck with aftermarket caps. Contrary to popular belief, you don't need any special tools to install it either.

D

I bet installation is a bitch!

like i said, no special tools needed. I have an old post on here stating how to do it and everyone that's tried it had success. I've done it 5 times now and it starts every time first try.

D

like i said, no special tools needed. I have an old post on here stating how to do it and everyone that's tried it had success. I've done it 5 times now and it starts every time first try.

D
I set mine with the Casper's cap and it started right up not having done it before.

D

x3...do you think think they had Casper's tool at the engine assembly factory? No, there's an easy and fast way to get these installed correctly.

Back