Camshaft selection assistance needed

tonysmach

engine build for street/strip to start soon. goal 9.95 sec qtr. Basics of the build:
  • 109 steel caps forged 3.625 stroker
  • GN1 Aluminum Heads
  • Champion ported stock intake
  • 70MM KB TB & Plenum
  • 6765 or 6768 PTE Billet turbo
  • Reds Double pumper
  • Other supporting Mods in signature
  • higher stall converter in the plans
What roller cam is suggested. Not looking for overkill since bottom end is not girdled so high 9s is max for the engine. My thoughts are:
1. FT Austemper 210/215
2. Weber Billet 218/212
3. DLS Austemper 212/212
4. Other?

also what injectors are needed 80, 83, 95. (Low Z computer mod or FAST will be needed I know with anything above 80)

Please let me know your thoughts on cam and injectors. Thanks.

I would like to stay under a 3500 stall conv and want good drivability on the street. Maybe someone with a cam 220+ duration can chime in.

you have more displacment than what the cam is "advertised for" you wont need a 3500 stall...possibly closer to a 32-34oo

DLS just specd a 218/218 .540 lift comp billet roller for my engine. I have ported GN1 heads and ported stock intake, Girdled and forged bottom end, PT70 turbo blah blah blah..... Basically all the stuff to go mid to high 9s. He said that one of his customers runs 9.20s on this cam yet still has lots of bottom end.

DLS just specd a 218/218 .540 lift comp billet roller for my engine. I have ported GN1 heads and ported stock intake, Girdled and forged bottom end, PT70 turbo blah blah blah..... Basically all the stuff to go mid to high 9s. He said that one of his customers runs 9.20s on this cam yet still has lots of bottom end.
What converter are you running and how is it on the street?

I have a ....

similar build w/212 cam and 3500 stall fed from 84's. suffers some lag from the 71gtq because it's not bb. Shift points are 6250rpms. That being noted, max duration I would recommend w/the 1.65 rockers would be 218-220, noting you will be giving up some streetability as you're moving your power band up. My l/s is 110, the 112 would have made the lag worse in my opinion. The 80+ inj. would work depending on your choice of fuel(ie, 93, not e-85,etc.)Hope this helps.:cool:

similar build w/212 cam and 3500 stall fed from 84's. suffers some lag from the 71gtq because it's not bb. Shift points are 6250rpms. That being noted, max duration I would recommend w/the 1.65 rockers would be 218-220, noting you will be giving up some streetability as you're moving your power band up. My l/s is 110, the 112 would have made the lag worse in my opinion. The 80+ inj. would work depending on your choice of fuel(ie, 93, not e-85,etc.)Hope this helps.:cool:

thanks for the replies. I don't really want to lose streetability. Fuel will be 93 + Alky. Sounds like duration of 212 to 218 is the range I should look for in a cam.

Pretty much the exact same build here. Running 212/212 billet roller. 83lb injectors and a 3600 stall. Stock ecm w a Tpro that runs great. If mainly a street car, I would stay with stock ecm. Have a 70 gtq that spools pretty good.

212/212 max... More duration, less bottom end. 6765 will spool better than the 6768 given the same converter. Go with the 6765. Go with the largest injectors your stock computer can support. 83's would be cutting it close on race fuel only. I'd get a modded ecm and go bigger for headroom. If you can't tune a F.A.S.T, X.F.I or BS3, and don't have a good tuner close by, don't by one. You will need to get it to 60ft in the 1.4x range. Plan on a few good suspension parts and strong driveline components. To reach the 9's you can't be dealing with low boost, wimpy launches, or an overweight car. If you are doing any of those three you are only making things harder for yourself. Good luck on your build!

Pretty much the exact same build here. Running 212/212 billet roller. 83lb injectors and a 3600 stall. Stock ecm w a Tpro that runs great. If mainly a street car, I would stay with stock ecm. Have a 70 gtq that spools pretty good.

Where did you get the billet roller? At what rpms does the trans shift..6000+?

I like the 212/212 BUT we don't have a stroker.. The smallest cam you can get away with will help with street ability. BUT your term of "street ability" will vary from person to person.. I am a fussy old buzzard. I want it so anyone can just jump in the car an GO.. I would also stay with a chip if ya don't have a Fast guru near you like "jasjamz" said :cool:

Where did you get the billet roller? At what rpms does the trans shift..6000+?

I've had the cam for years. Pretty sure it was purchased from DLS engine through ANS performance.

Definitely can push rpms further with the bigger valve springs on gn1's. 6000+ shifts are no problem.

What converter are you running and how is it on the street?

Engine is still on the stand. Just got it back about a month ago. I have a TH400 Trans with a 3200rpm stall ATI convertor that I got from S2V6RACER. I took out a 224/224 .560 lift solid roller and went with the 218 hyd. roller. The 224 had a softer bottom end but I just considered it as traction control!! :eek:

Any more opinions on camshaft or turbo with the build? how would a turbonetics T70 P-Trim work with a 218/212 roller camshaft and 10'' 3200 stall converter? Looking to shift at about 6000 RPMs.
109 steel caps forged 3.625 stroker
GN1 Aluminum Heads
Champion ported stock intake
70MM KB TB & Plenum