Cannot get car to stay running for more than 10 minutes

texasterror

Anyone have any ideas why i cant get my car running for more than 10 minutes? I just had my motor rebuilt. The car runs fine for 10 minutes and then dies. Mechanical or Electrical?

Given the timing you list, I'll say that it's going from open loop to closed loop and something is wrong with your O2 sensor.

Idling. I haven't seen the car because its at a shop and I spoke to the owner via the phone so i was regurgitating what he told me. I'll stop by on Monday and get some numbers. Also I'll take my O2 sensor out of my other GN and install in in my T-type that's in the shop.

Fuel pump? Fuel filter?
SES light coming on?

Need more info

Bryan

fuel pressure? injecotr pulse? If it has no spark when you try to restart id look into an ignition module.

I'd be thinking ignition module...if the car heats up...shuts off...and then restarts when it cools.

It could be all of the above, but most likely is the 02 is bad and the chip is going into closed loop causing it go lean since the chip is so far out of blms I can;t compensate. If the o2 is good the chip could be way off in calibration for the combo. Low fuel pressure would have the same effect.

I would try pulling the gasoline cap off the fuel tank immediately after it stalls. If there is vacuum there, you may have found the problem. The tank is vented through the vent line to the charcoal canister and it may have been plugged, or the line squeezed.

It would be interesting to know if the engine restarts immediately after the 10 minutes running stall or will not start for awhile. The ignition module (under the coil pack) can cause similar stalling, but mine had a longer run time to stall, then at least a half hour to cool off for restart.

Original GM crank sensor? The huge one! If it has no spark after it dies, spray the sensor with brake cleaner to cool it off and try restarting. Learned that on here too. !0 minutes can be in warmer ambients. May be 20 or 30 minutes in the cold.

I switched out the ECU, no change to the ECU is good. I switched out the oxygen sensor and now car runs better. Not much better but better. I'm going to hook up the scanmaster tomorrow and my fuel pressure guage and get you guys some #'s. Thanks for the advice. haven't driven this car since 2009! Ouch!!!

My scan master numbers were good except the TPS which was at .80, i adjusted it to read .42..44 but then it wouldnt start up and the shop was getting ready to leave. It's sat and 6pm. At this point im hoping its something silly as the car running out of gas (the needle was at the 1/8 mark and these sensors aren't very accurate).
I'll find out when i check on the car. Hopefully Monday after work if i can beat traffic and make it to the shop on time. Its gotta be something stupid but my knowledge of these cars is better than the average to mediocre person yet not as well as the people on this board, i live in an apt complex, i super busy at work and have little to no time to work on these cars, so I end up paying people to solve any issues i have on these cars.

Don't forget to check the crank sensor. I had a similar
Problem. Went thru the no start and everything checked out fine, got to the crank sensor and it was bad. Car would only run for a couple mins.

When the car dies and you try to restart is it missing spark or fuel? You need to answer that to get more help here.

OkaY the car runs now but it sounds like it's misfiring when its at idle and it sounds like it wants to shut down. Idles between 775 and 950 (it fluctuates). When I step on the gas it sounds like it's got a vacuum leak. It has gas. My scanmater #'s are good except my iac fluctuates between 170 and 125. My fuel pressure is at 42-43 #'s.