Champion Blocks ?

Lets not forget for the $3k you save you will still have an 8 headbolt, girdled oil leaking machine that is a piece of glass at that power level and weighs 50# more. If budget is a concern even a good useable scratch and dent S2 block is still a better choice and would cost the same. Pennywise dollar foolish IMO, besides do you think you will be happy at 700 rwhp and just stop? You have little choice with the 109.

FYI I have a mint 3.8 S1 block with 3.810 bore and steel caps I would be more than happy to drag up to Conneaut any weekend for $1800

AMEN BROTHER, well said!!
Mike

....not sure why you feel a TA motor couldn't do it at all.

Can be done with a bigger cubic inch stage motor with a decent combo. My very low compression heavy stage car went 10.4's with not a good converter and crazy back pressure 3 bolt turbo at 18psi. Never tried it with pump gas, but I know another stage motor car with 18psi went 9.6's also not an ideal combo. Louie Lopez when 10.2's with 13psi but with a bigger, more efficient turbo.

A few months ago I was debating on doing a T/A aluminum block build. I spoke with a reputable engine builder about a short block and told him my goal. He thought that low to mid 10's on pump (straight 93) was a pretty optimistic goal and he was surprised when I told him I already ran high 10's on straight pump. If I could be guaranteed 10.49 or faster, then I'd be all over it. I just don't want to spend 10 to 12 grand on a short block and see just 2 or 3 tenths improvement. Wouldn't it be great if someone came out with a new block with a 4.125 bore and raised cam for a 3.825 stroke. Then my goal would be incredibly easy to achieve.