You can type here any text you want

ChampionGN-1 intake or ported stocker?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

chasmat2316

For a 109 stroker with full ported GN-1's what intake? How much is the GN-1 intake worth over a ported stocker? Does the Champion intake have mounts for the coil bracket & heater pipe?

Good info seems to be be hard to find in the new Champion intake. I've been wondering the same thing, but chose to have my stocker ported. With my goals (mid 10's) I think the ported stock intake manifold will be plenty to get me there. Not to mention the $200 for a port job Vs. several hundred and possible fitment issues with the Champion, The stock one got my vote.

Well I match ported my intake & trying to raise & straighten the runners as much as I can, thinking of welding up the outside of the intake to finish. This got me thinking - should I just go with the GN-1 intake & be done? Who is using one? Thanx!

Well I match ported my intake & trying to raise & straighten the runners as much as I can, thinking of welding up the outside of the intake to finish. This got me thinking - should I just go with the GN-1 intake & be done? Who is using one? Thanx!

Yes, you should go with the GN1 intake if you have race ported GN1 heads. The stock intake cant easily be modified to match the flow of the heads with out a lot of work. It would be hard to tell how much the GN1 intake is worth over a maxed out stocker. The stock intake is not the limiting factor in most applications even with ported GN1's imo. Its the 3 bolt exhaust housing causing the biggest restriction.

Im using a GN-1 intake with the GN-1 heads. Everything is port matched. I'll let you know how it goes once its finished.

I would base that on what your setup is. TSM cars are running 9.30's to 9.13 with a stock ported intake. I would use a Champion intake over a stock ported one if I was running bigger then a 76 turbo. If its a street car I would stick with the stock intake because i feel that you would lose some bottom end if your around 15 to 18 psi on pump gas. No welded or raised runners allowed in TSM, so the stock intake worked shows that it is a good piece to work with (keep it simple method).

Does the stock coil bracket & heater pipe fit on the GN-1 ?

I know that there has been issues with the coil bracket setting the coil pack to close to the wiper motor. As far as the heater hose...Im not using one...and I cant remember if it has provisions for it. (My intake is at the builders)

Yes, you should go with the GN1 intake if you have race ported GN1 heads. The stock intake cant easily be modified to match the flow of the heads with out a lot of work. It would be hard to tell how much the GN1 intake is worth over a maxed out stocker. The stock intake is not the limiting factor in most applications even with ported GN1's imo. Its the 3 bolt exhaust housing causing the biggest restriction.

So how much do ya think a 4 bolt exhaust housing is worth over a 3 bolt on let's say a 70 mm P-trim? maybe a tang 4 bolt?

So how much do ya think a 4 bolt exhaust housing is worth over a 3 bolt on let's say a 70 mm P-trim? maybe a tang 4 bolt?
There are a lot of things that could change the numbers and effect the potential gain. The higher the engine is being revved and the higher the boost pressure the bigger the gain. And yes definitely a tangential 4 bolt. An on center one is a big restriction. Id be willing to bet that a 4 bolt conversion on a TSM engine would be worth at least 70 hp and in the top runninng TSM engines i wouldnt doubt that they could pick up nearly 100hp. It would be less significant with a 76 trim exhaust wheel but still justifiable. Its definitely worth it if you are considering buying headers and going externally gated. There is a much bigger selection of exhaust housings available and for those using N2O to spool they could get away with an extremely large a/r and make even more power.

46 hp on my car

What turbo, boost pressure, and a/f ratio? What a/r did you run before and after? Do you feel your 3 bolt was being pushed to the limit before switching? Did you get any before and after exhaust pressure readings?

it was on a gtq 71. i went from a precision .85 to a .85 4-bolt . on the dyno it picked up 46 hp.

Back