You can type here any text you want

Chuck Ulsch's Outlaw 10.5 Camaro runs 4.18 @183mph.

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

I was downloading a run to my laptop when I heard the car go by. I heard the 4.18 over the PA system and thought it was a pro-mod car. When I saw the 10.5 cars still pulling by the trailer I looked up on the hill at the track and saw Ulsch being towed back......everyone at the track was blown away. He then went on to run 190mph in the finals against Lynch.

Your post confirms a few other likewise accounts I have heard. Usually, when someone sets a record or smashes an e.t or mph barrier the crowd explodes in applause. Everyone that was there and saw Chuck go 4.18 said there was stunned silence.

I don't think anyone expected a 10.5 car to run that kind of a number. Fact is, Chuck is around 100ci smaller than Lynch's twin turbo car AND it's been said Chuck was STILL leaving around 500hp on the table with the combo he was running. There was a LOT left in the car even being over 100 cubes smaller. That 4.18 is just the begining.

That is one baaad blower car. Beware of the screw!

Your post confirms a few other likewise accounts I have heard. Usually, when someone sets a record or smashes an e.t or mph barrier the crowd explodes in applause. Everyone that was there and saw Chuck go 4.18 said there was stunned silence.

I don't think anyone expected a 10.5 car to run that kind of a number. Fact is, Chuck is around 100ci smaller than Lynch's twin turbo car AND it's been said Chuck was STILL leaving around 500hp on the table with the combo he was running. There was a LOT left in the car even being over 100 cubes smaller. That 4.18 is just the begining.

Stunned was the word for sure. Very impressive.

He may have less ci, but I heard he is running 59-62 psi vs lynch's 30-32. Food for thought. :smile:

He may have less ci, but I heard he is running 59-62 psi vs lynch's 30-32. Food for thought. :smile:

The pulley on his blower looks to be the size of a wedding ring:D

Lynch beat him in the finals but it was a very close race. Lynch is now swapping over to a chevy set-up to get better cylinder heads. Should be interesting at the US Nats if all these guys show.

Boost numbers between two completely different cars is irrelavent. Chuck's boost numbers running 100 more cubes would be less given the same pulley ratio. Chuck still having 500hp more left in his combo at the time of the race before increasing his engine size should give you a hint on how much more is left in that car. I assure you Chuck didn't show his hand yet even though he had Lynch covered by well over 5mph in the final (and 5mph is a LOT in 1/8 mile racing!).

It was said on another forum that Lynch could have run bigger turbos to tighten the performance gap between him and Chuck. In response to that, Chucks tuner said something to the effect of "don't make me change the pulley on that screw!". He even went so far as to say on record that turbo cars should get a weight break to screw blown cars because that's what it's going to take to compete with a screw.

Boost numbers between two completely different cars is irrelavent. Chuck's boost numbers running 100 more cubes would be less given the same pulley ratio. Chuck still having 500hp more left in his combo at the time of the race before increasing his engine size should give you a hint on how much more is left in that car. I assure you Chuck didn't show his hand yet even though he had Lynch covered by well over 5mph in the final (and 5mph is a LOT in 1/8 mile racing!).

It was said on another forum that Lynch could have run bigger turbos to tighten the performance gap between him and Chuck. In response to that, Chucks tuner said something to the effect of "don't make me change the pulley on that screw!". He even went so far as to say on record that turbo cars should get a weight break to screw blown cars because that's what it's going to take to compete with a screw.

Lynch/Petty have left a LOT of power on the table as well because most of the time they could never put it all down and even if Chuck does have 500HP left I seriously doubt he will be able to put it to the ground either. It should be very interesting when Lynch comes out with the new setup cause those guys don't play to be second best!

Chuck's tuner is very confident he can put down the power and go 6.20s even in the heat of the summer (see this post... Yellow Bullet Forums - View Single Post - Turbo's and the Screw. Not even in the same league! ). And if Lynch was confident enough that he had enough power in reserve to hang with the screw, he wouldn't be completely changing his engine program as we speak.:wink: Lynch is no dummy. He knows full well he was out-classed in the final. He won because he tree'ed Chuck, not because he made more power. Traps speeds tell that story.

Here is the link to the full thread in which the above link/post was made. Be aware the thread/forum contains NWS language, etc.

Turbo's and the Screw. Not even in the same league! - Yellow Bullet Forums

1/8 mile I doubt the extra power will help much.......1/4 will be a different story. When both teams get to a 1/4 track later this year it will be interesting.

Lynch's best shot at hanging with Chuck is in 1/8 racing. It's going to be DAMN hard to back half the screw!

IMHO.... with the same attention to detail.... with the tech today... and in the near future... I can't see the turbo not coming out on top at the end of the day..... the "screw" sounds like a breakthrough in tech.... but the turbo guys aren't exactly sitting on their hands either!

The screw is really nothing new. Kenne Bell has been building screw blower kits for years for SUVs, Mustangs, etc. Top Fuel cars have been running them for years as well. Same goes for Pro Mod.

It's going to be very hard to hang with the screw for the same reasons Lonnie explains in the thread I linked to above. Screws have a MUCH wider powerband, don't seem to have the same issues with getting down the track as some of the turbos cars do and the screws make 50-60+psi at the hit of the throttle. Screws are NOT the same animal as roots blowers. Screws are far more efficient. Chuck is making more power with quite a few less cubic inches than the turbo guys and still has a bunch in the bag. Chuck stunned everyone with that 4.18 and that's just the begining. He had the field covered pretty good in 1/8 mile racing. The gap is going to widen in 1/4 mile racing. It's pretty damn hard to backhalf a well tuned screw.

2009 is going to be interesting. :smile:

Back