You can type here any text you want

Cleaning 3-Piece wheels....How Do You Do It?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Hot Air

E85 and S.E./Carolinas Moderator
Staff member
I'm seriously considering purchase of CCW 3-piece wheels with painted centers. I have always owned 1-piece wheels. Only question is how to clean brake dust , etc from wheels....especially the little bolts/screws that hold it all together. How do you do it and is it a pain or not?
Conrad

When I wash my car I also wash the rims, dry them, and then use a chrome polisher. I was going to use Mothers Powerball Mini Polishing Cleaning Tool. You also put in place a bust cover to prevent the brake dust from going onto the rims. I too have a 3 piece rims, and I had the center powder coated.

Attachments

• 10-30-09_1735.jpg
    10-30-09_1735.jpg
    222.5 KB · Views: 113
  • 11-01-09_1358.jpg
    11-01-09_1358.jpg
    187.7 KB · Views: 136
  • 11-01-09_1515.jpg
    11-01-09_1515.jpg
    250.4 KB · Views: 123
Hey Conrad, hope all is well. We need to find a weekend to get together soon. Regarding the wheels, you need to find a high quality cleaner, something like Sonax. It's not cheap, but works wonders. Second, pick up a few soft wheel brushes. Something to agitate the product after it sets for a minute that will allow access to the crevices. After that, spray on some Iron X to get rid of any deposits that still might exist. Once done, polish and wax the wheel.

Give Phil Yiu, from Detailers Domain, a call he's super knowledgable and very friendly.

Best regards,
John

I'm seriously considering purchase of CCW 3-piece wheels with painted centers. I have always owned 1-piece wheels. Only question is how to clean brake dust , etc from wheels....especially the little bolts/screws that hold it all together. How do you do it and is it a pain or not?
Conrad
Conrad,

Take it from me who has had the CCW wheels now for at least 5 years and has put my brakes through some harsh environments which cause some serious brake dust. The CCW classic's are the easiest wheel I have ever had to clean!

When you receive your wheels from CCW you will get some small packets of Rejex which you rub on the wheels surface and wipe off before & after installing them. This has keep my wheels looking Like new for all these years and still to this day they look like new. That stuff makes the brake dust wipe right off.....

When washing my car I simply spray the wheels with the hose and I wait until the very end to dry them off with a damp towel....this takes all the brake dust off with ease and they look fantastic when done. That's all I do!!

You can take a small brush to get in to the bolt areas all around the wheel but that time seems to not be worth the effort as I have tried it both ways and the clean area around all those stainless bolts just isn't seen much, drying them off real good with a damp towel works great!

My thanks to both of you for your council.
Conrad

Scot,
Thanks for the tip on "Rejex". The link to their site is shown below. Apparently it keeps brake dust from attaching to the surface! Wow!! Seems like the answer to those of us with intricate wheels! Check it out!!
Conrad

http://www.rejex.com/rejex.html

Back