You can type here any text you want

cometic headgaskets install dry or light coat of copper spray

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
i too was pretty disappointed to see the amount of oil and debris between the layers on my cometics right out of the package. i cleaned them anally and used copper spray. no issues :)

One of our local Engine builders was at the Performance Expo down in FL about two or three months ago and he went and talked with few engineers from Cometics. He told them that he always sprayed copper spray or the hylamar stuff between layers of the Cometic gaskets per customer’s request (we do). They told him that they should always go on dry as the layers are made to shift under heat so if you glue them together it may cause it to leak.

So there you go, it's even more clear as mud!
Prasad

After a reasonable number of heat cycles re-torque at 100% for insurance (nuts should not move)
what you're saying is not a retorque
a retorque reqiures breaking a fastener loose then swing back to final torque , then do the others

One of our local Engine builders was at the Performance Expo down in FL about two or three months ago and he went and talked with few engineers from Cometics. He told them that he always sprayed copper spray or the hylamar stuff between layers of the Cometic gaskets per customer’s request (we do). They told him that they should always go on dry as the layers are made to shift under heat so if you glue them together it may cause it to leak.

So there you go, it's even more clear as mud!
Prasad

Makes sense Prasad. ;)

I used a thin layer of RTV after a good cleaning on my 4.1 and everything as held up well so far.

We had machine shop fresh heads with laquer thinner surfaces. Sprayed the cometics with the hylomar. They have been holding up great to 500 miles of beatings at 20psi. We didn't take the layers apart IIRC.

I just need to get these things retorqued. I'll be looking for procedure advice pretty soon. ;)

Back