You can type here any text you want

Cometic question

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

EVIL

BANNED FOREVER
Lets say you installed cometic head gaskets with the copper spray and within five minutes of having torqued them to 85lbs you have to take a head off.

Is the head gasket now compromised since it has been crushed to spec or will re spraying it be fine?

I believe it has been compromised but i must ask before ordering a new one.

D

Considering I took mine off after thousands of miles and put them back on after a motor rebuild I think you'll be fine.

re spray ... say a word of prayer to the buick gods an u will be fine

Sooooooooo save the $90? alrighty then. I'm not one to pray but . . .

Apparently you guys are the buick gods.

thank you
D

As long as they are going back on the same block and heads (not changing mating surfaces) I have seen guys use them multiple times. A friend of mine with a low 7 sec turbo BBC reuses his often, multiple times.

Have you confirmed the head RA (roughness average), because I wouldn't even bother re-installing these unless you know for sure your heads are at least the 50RA Cometic calls for.

Wouldn't the copper spray take care of the roughness issue?

D

Have you confirmed the head RA (roughness average), because I wouldn't even bother re-installing these unless you know for sure your heads are at least the 50RA Cometic calls for.

Didn't on mine, was too cheap to have the heads looked at and figured the MLS aspect would make up for any head smoothness issues = poor loses again.

I've feed my system so many GM tablets it's breath will be fresh for decades. ;)

Can you translate that to English please?

D

He is saying he had the wrong surface on the heads. We have had them on a lot of engines and heads that didn't have the right "finish" on them. Still worked fine BUT as everyone knows our parts are special :p Spray yours an put em back on . :cool:

he is saying he had the wrong surface on the heads. We have had them on a lot of engines and heads that didn't have the right "finish" on them. Still worked fine but as everyone knows our parts are special :p spray yours an put em back on . :cool:

lol! X2

WTH, how wasn't I clear, get the heads looked at for RA, if not, you can end up like me and a bunch of others that HAVE LEAKS OR IT DRINKS A BUCKET OF COOLANT. That clear.

Better yet, do a search for "Cometics Leaking" and tell me what you find. :rolleyes:

Oh, you'll find 70 threads about Cometics and some concern towards them leaking.

If you can find Hylomar in an aerosol can, I prefer it over the copper spray. Also, where are you finding the Cometics for $90? If that price is correct, I will be stocking up.

I've re-used Cometics and used a thin coat of high temp RTV and havent had a problem with them yet. They are designed to be re-used.

Crystal clear.

WTH, how wasn't I clear, get the heads looked at for RA, if not, you can end up like me and a bunch of others that HAVE LEAKS OR IT DRINKS A BUCKET OF COOLANT. That clear.

Better yet, do a search for "Cometics Leaking" and tell me what you find. :rolleyes:

Oh, you'll find 70 threads about Cometics and some concern towards them leaking.

I'm only addressing the OP's question, reusing a headgasket and what issues there might be regardless if I like them or not. I don't think Cometics are junk but I have seen they are more prone to leaking on GN's than most cars so I'm going to pass on info I'd want to hear if I could go back in time.

FWIW, I have a set of Cometics on my Talon that take 30psi very frequently and for years have been leak free. They're great on Imports at least. :cool:

Back