computer help needed!!

Vendor Defendor

Out the window
i am trying to network two computers together, both have windows 98. i have them on the same 'workgroup' they are both shared and they are connected with a ethernet cable.. am i missing something? the computers see themselves but they dont see each other?

and anther thing i tryed networking a 98 and a XP together and every time i open up a new web site now it comes up with this infromation box that says your not connected to the internet, then asks to connect or work offline. it never did this before.

any ideas, i need help kinda fast

-Neil

What protocol?? Tcp/Ip?? They both need a unique ip address, on the same subnet. Also, you cannot connect to pc's directly together with a regular ethernet cable. You will need a crossover cable unless you have a hub.

i noticed that the light on the back of one computer by where you plug in the net work cable, and the light isnt on... i tryed switching the ends of the cable, but the light stays on one computer but not the other,

any ideas?

-neil

You can look at the color pattern of the wires inside the rj45 connector. If they are the same on both ends, its a regular ethernet cable, not a crossover cable. Odds are its a regular cable, and you not getting link lights basically confirms this. You need a hub/switch or crosover cable. You gotta have a link light on both ends.

If it is a crossover cable it should work. Look in device manager on the PC that does not get a link light and make sure the network card driver is correctly loaded. If you wanna take this to yahoo instant messenger or something we can.

Hehe, I dont use aim. Right click on network neighborhood, then left click properties. Tell me if you see any protocols like tcp/ip or netbui. If you see tcp/ip, double click it and see what the address is. Each machine needs a unique but similar ip address. If you are not getting a link light on both ends, go to the one thats not lighting and right click my computer and left click properties. Click the device manager tab at the top and make sure there are no ! or red X under network card.

neither of those, all i see is PCI, and in my computer i dont see the network card, i see net work adapters but nothing else...

-Neil