You can type here any text you want

Converter/fluid ?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

ikle

I installed a PTC 10" 3,000 stall converter to replace my stock D5, I also did a fluid/filter change at the same time. The fluid I used was Dexron VI Fully Synthetic, the trany has under 50,000 original miles on it. Every thing was fine and acted normal until I put on a few hundred miles, then I noticed that the trany didn't shift as firm as it used to. It actually shifts like it doesn't have a shift kit , like it did before I had a Art Carr shift kit installed years ago. So after some searching I came up with two possiable reasons:

1) I read that a higher stall converter can make the trany shift softer, I don't think this is my issue because after the install the trany shifted like it did before the swap. Since this is my first TR and my first experiance with a higher stall converter and I don't have anything to compare it too so I am not sure.

2) Some say that switching over to Dexron VI Fully Syntheyic could cause the issue, if so can I drain the trany pan and add Type F fluid to get my crisp shifts back. Is Type F trany fluid compatiable with Dexron VI ?

What do you guys think.Thanks ,Kyle.

If you had type f before you will definitely feel a difference in shift firmness. If you prefer the firmer shift you need to switch back (no idea if you can mix them, but I would suspect there won't be an issue).

If you had type f before you will definitely feel a difference in shift firmness. If you prefer the firmer shift you need to switch back (no idea if you can mix them, but I would suspect there won't be an issue).
Thanks for your response, the trany fluid that was in there before the change was Dexron III. I hope the Type F fluid is compatiable with Dexron VI, I really miss the nice, firm, crisp shifts I had before. Thanks again for your quick response, Kyle.

The 10 inch convertor will do just that,so install a bigger boost valve and it will come back.

The 10 inch convertor will do just that,so install a bigger boost valve and it will come back.
Ok thanks for the info, if I neglect to install a bigger boost valve will I hurt my trany running it this way. Thanks again, Kyle.

Orginal trans? It probably is in need of rebuild soon...just run it until it flares then rebuild with good stuff.

Orginal trans? It probably is in need of rebuild soon...just run it until it flares then rebuild with good stuff.
Yes original trans. That's what I am thinking. Thanks again, Kyle.

I was always under the impression that the type F fluid will give you a firmer shift. I've always used type F in my hot rods.

Heres some good info from Lonnie at Extreme automatics. Honestly a real hard hitting trans will add to breaking tires loose in a race IMO. I prefer an quick snappy shift to get it done and over.

1.) Our first choice is Dextron 6. Dextron 6 can be found at most automotive parts stores. Dextron 6 has superior heat and lubricating properties over Dex 3 and Type F. Dex 6 will handle long periods of extended temperature while providing maximum protection against damage to the seals and clutches of your 2004R. Dex 6 offers good shift quality with additional heat protection. Not as firm as Type F but firmer than Dex 3.
2.) Type F fluid. Type F will provide The best shift quality and firmness. Type F does not provide the heat protection of Dex 6 but does offer slightly firmer shifts. Type F is a good choice for those who desire good shift quality and change transmission fluid often. When Type F is used transmission fluid should be changed as soon as you notice the color start to change to a darker color.
3.) Dextron 3 is our last choice. Your transmission will operate properly using Dex 3 although its our last choice. Dex 3 offers the smoothest shift quality. Dex 3 must be changed often.

hello; HIJACK I'd like to here more on what trans pcs. are the good stuff?
But to the OP I'd just go back to what fluid you had before and see what happens.
Keep posting on the subject.
IBBY

How does it shift at WOT?
Mark I never got a chance to see how it shifted at WOT, I was in the middle of sorting out some other issues and ran out of time. I only did a few 3rd gear pulls, but I did jump on it a little and it chirped 2nd gear. Thanks for replying, Kyle.

Mark hopefully I will get everything sorted out his coming year, I would like to go to one of your cruise nights you have, keep me informed, looks like its a great time.Kyle

hello; HIJACK I'd like to here more on what trans pcs. are the good stuff?
But to the OP I'd just go back to what fluid you had before and see what happens.
Keep posting on the subject.
IBBY
IBBY,I was going to do that but I was using Dexron III and I read that you can add Dexron VI to Dexron III but it wasn't recommended to go from Dexron VI to Dexron III. So I think I am going to run it the way it is and see what happens. Thanks, Kyle.

hello; speaking of trans oil how do you get it all out? I've heard some TC have a drain plug? Just dropping the pan and doing a filter is not going to get it all.
IBBY

Heres some good info from Lonnie at Extreme automatics. Honestly a real hard hitting trans will add to breaking tires loose in a race IMO. I prefer an quick snappy shift to get it done and over.

1.) Our first choice is Dextron 6. Dextron 6 can be found at most automotive parts stores. Dextron 6 has superior heat and lubricating properties over Dex 3 and Type F. Dex 6 will handle long periods of extended temperature while providing maximum protection against damage to the seals and clutches of your 2004R. Dex 6 offers good shift quality with additional heat protection. Not as firm as Type F but firmer than Dex 3.
2.) Type F fluid. Type F will provide The best shift quality and firmness. Type F does not provide the heat protection of Dex 6 but does offer slightly firmer shifts. Type F is a good choice for those who desire good shift quality and change transmission fluid often. When Type F is used transmission fluid should be changed as soon as you notice the color start to change to a darker color.
3.) Dextron 3 is our last choice. Your transmission will operate properly using Dex 3 although its our last choice. Dex 3 offers the smoothest shift quality. Dex 3 must be changed often.
Turbo Nasty thanks for the info, I remember reading it, among other post,it seemed like a great idea to make the switch to Dexron VI since I was installing a PTC 10" 3000 stall converter. I figured with the new converter there would be more heat generated into the trany so the switch seemed like a no brainier. I did read about a few people experiencing the same issue I am but I thought since the trany only had 49,000 original mile and was well maintained that I would be exempt, guess I was wrong.LOL. Thanks, Kyle.

Anyone know the fluid capacity of a 200-4R that is "bone dry" - including a new 9.5" converter that is dry.

Should I buy 8 quarts, 9 quarts, 10 quarts?

Thanks !!!

hello; speaking of trans oil how do you get it all out? I've heard some TC have a drain plug? Just dropping the pan and doing a filter is not going to get it all.
IBBY
I guess one would have to pull the converter and drain as much of the fluid from it, then drop the pan and change the filter and fluid. I would do this but my only choise would be Type F fluid and it has a much lower heat range. So I might be in the same situation as I am now do to the extra heat from my new converter. It's an option but I don't know if it's a good one. Thanks Kyle.

hello; I have not done it but shops over a evak of the system. They connect at a trany line and run it thru a machine to get it out.
good luck
IBBY

Anyone know the fluid capacity of a 200-4R that is "bone dry" - including a new 9.5" converter that is dry.

Should I buy 8 quarts, 9 quarts, 10 quarts?

Thanks !!!
I believe when I did mine it took around 11 quarts but I have a Kirban deep pan which I think hold 2 extra quarts over the stock pan and I have the biggest B&M external trany cooler routed in conjunction with the stock internal trany cooler. I added 9 got her warm and added from there until full, some add an extra 3/4 of a quart over full so the trany doesn't run dry while launching, but I didn't because this is a street car. Hope this helps, Kyle.

P.S. don't quote me but I think the stock trany hold 7 and the D5 hold 2 but not 100% sure.

Back