You can type here any text you want

coolant/antifreeze

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

oc192

I am going to replace my thermostat (which I believe is a 195) with a 160* and at the same time replace the housing and the upper radiator hose with an aluminum one. I also want to drain/flush the coolant. What do you guys recommend for my climate? Distilled water and RMI-25? 50/50 coolant/antifreeze? 50/50 with RMI-25? There has been comments made that RMI-25 is safer for the motor especially if you blow a headgasket.

Thanks,
Don

Distilled with RMI-25 if not ever subjected to freezing temps. I run it all year round here in CT BUT the car is kept in a heated garage.

Distilled with RMI-25 if not ever subjected to freezing temps. I run it all year round here in CT BUT the car is kept in a heated garage.

Same question except what if the car is subjected to freezing temps? I am in the same position since my motor is finishing up being rebuit after a blown head gasket. Thanks- brad

If you are using the car during freezing temperatures, THEN some type of antifreeze protection is required. If a headgasket fails during this period of time, you will lose your bearings and require a rebuild. If the car is just going to be parked for the winter months you could drain the entire system and not have a problem. This could lead to problems if you are not complete in the drainage process. Here in Phoenix we do not have a problem with the distilled water and RMI25.

Back