Cooling with large front mount.

I was hoping some day for an answer based more on tests than calculations. And I'm sure in time you will have these results.

Try both types of intercooler on the same 8-9ish second car with a healthy coolant system. Same intercooler construction. Same boost. same tune. One with a 6 inch. One with a 4 inch.

Drive the same route for an hour on a hot day............ Coolant temps? Fan cycle?
Make a quarter mile pass with a 4"............ Air intake temps each second of the run?
Make a quarter mile pass with a 6"............ Air intake temps each second of the run?

I know the results will show improved lower air temps. We all agree?
I think the results will show higher coolant temps/fan on-off cycle. We may agree?

But how much? This makes decision making easier for many. Because we can learn what else is needed to do in order to take advantage of the gains produced by the larger intercooler. And also if mostly driven on the street will we ever see the gains of lower air temps with such short (maybe 2-4 second) WOT blasts.

I can't speak for all, but this info would be a big factor in my decision to go this big with a core.
This type of data comes at a cost and believe me we are well on our way and at our expense. Based of interest and responses I doubt it will be freely made public.

I was hoping some day for an answer based more on tests than calculations. And I'm sure in time you will have these results.

Try both types of intercooler on the same 8-9ish second car with a healthy coolant system. Same intercooler construction. Same boost. same tune. One with a 6 inch. One with a 4 inch.

Drive the same route for an hour on a hot day............ Coolant temps? Fan cycle?
Make a quarter mile pass with a 4"............ Air intake temps each second of the run?
Make a quarter mile pass with a 6"............ Air intake temps each second of the run?

I know the results will show improved lower air temps. We all agree?
I think the results will show higher coolant temps/fan on-off cycle. We may agree?

But how much? This makes decision making easier for many. Because we can learn what else is needed to do in order to take advantage of the gains produced by the larger intercooler. And also if mostly driven on the street will we ever see the gains of lower air temps with such short (maybe 2-4 second) WOT blasts.

I can't speak for all, but this info would be a big factor in my decision to go this big with a core.
I'll try whatever you want. $125/hr. Paypal is bpe2023@hotmail.com
Fwiw you missed the point of the intercooler thread also.

Law of diminishing return? You aren't even close.
Is that right....Increased core depth results in an increase in the drag coefficient of the cooling air passing thru. to the ac core and the rad.
I understood it, was engine temp,not ic issues.

I'm sure you will figure it out.w/o others input.

I'll try whatever you want. $125/hr. Paypal is bpe2023@hotmail.com
Fwiw you missed the point of the intercooler thread also.
I'm not sure what you mean. I don't think I missed the point of the intercooler thread. I think there are some who are looking for exactly what you are attempting to create. However, I wasn't one of them. As far as testing for 125/hour, I don't need the info one bit. Your customers do.

And as far as this coolant thread goes, I hope Allen works out his problem. I understand that the problems existed before this monster core. But I thought it would have been nice for others to hear he had a solution. This way others with 6 inch cores will know what they may have to go through to keep their coolant temps within reason. But I guess they should all send checks for answers.

Did I, or Chuck, in some way rub you guys the wrong way? Maybe I missed that too. Seemed like a friendly enough thread in the beginning.

Last edited:
I'm not sure what you mean. I don't think I missed the point of the intercooler thread. I think there are some who are looking for exactly what you are attempting to create. However, I wasn't one of them. As far as testing for 125/hour, I don't need the info one bit. Your customers do.

And as far as this coolant thread goes, I hope Allen works out his problem. I understand that the problems existed before this monster core. But I thought it would have been nice for others to hear he had a solution. This way others with 6 inch cores will know what they may have to go through to keep their coolant temps within reason. But I guess they should all send checks for answers.

Did I, or Chuck, in some way rub you guys the wrong way? Maybe I missed that too. Seemed like a friendly enough thread in the beginning.
Re-read your posts. I'm sure you can figure it out. Fwiw I've had at least 15 people tell me they want this intercooler and not one of them asked me what it costs. Unfortunately I don't have time to build 15 intercoolers at this time. Bad info, no supporting data, criticism with no backing. Plenty of that on this board and that's why the ones that actually figure things out won't share it. Everyone knows everything but they have yet to prove it. The problem with this thread is the responses. He had a problem. The problem was identified and he's solving it. The solution sure isn't using a thinner core to make less work for the fans!

Re-read your posts.
I know what I wrote. I never attacked or criticized anyone. Only asked questions. When you find the time, build all the intercoolers you want for your customers and I'm sure you will include all your R&D costs.
The solution sure isn't using a thinner core to make less work for the fans!
Apparently not. The problem existed before the big core. It seems as if more and bigger fans are the answer.

FWIW I never had a 4" intercooler. The CAS V1 I have is a 3" core. My 6" core has nothing to do with my previous cooling issues based on the fact that the car has never run with it yet. We need to make sure the facts are straight for those who are reading this. Everyone needs to remember that I can't fit the commercially available fan set-up as of now. This solution is a low profile, compact and higher flowing.

FWIW I never had a 4" intercooler. The CAS V1 I have is a 3" core. My 6" core has nothing to do with my previous cooling issues based on the fact that the car has never run with it yet. We need to make sure the facts are straight for those who are reading this. Everyone needs to remember that I can't fit the commercially available fan set-up as of now. This solution is a low profile, compact and higher flowing.
I did not know how thick your previous intercooler was. But I was clear from the beginning of this thread the coolant issues you have been dealing with existed before you created your new 6" core.

Many readers may skip ahead to the last posts of a thread. So for their sake in understanding your solution to your problem it makes sense that we clarify it again.

Understood.

A single 98' Lincoln mark viii fan moves over 4000cfm, i think its 18".

That would be an SN95 fan and they move over 5000cfm on high.

I had problems cooling with my big F/M until I bought an SN95 fan. I went from 200* plus in the 100* heat with the AC on down to 180*/185* range while in stop and go traffic and the fan will bring it down to the 170* shut off point set in the chip in just a couple of minutes.

Also if you run the in tank trans cooler you want to add a dedicated cooler/fan unit preferably activated off the coolant switch. I have mine mounted under the battery next to my alky pump which keeps the heat generated by the trans off the rad and cooled the fluid some before it even ran into the rad tank which took more load off the rad. My trans temps came down 20*/25*and the recovery time was also cut in half which also took a load off the rad helping it run cooler and recover quicker.

Those fans move a ton of air and you definitely hear it when it's running. It only took slight modification to fit, but you will need to wire it properly for the extra load that these beasts use.

What I've learned is that the whole setup needs to be matched. If the coolant flow is to slow you will run hotter because it doesn't bring the coolant into the engine fast enough. The flip side is that if you run no T-stat the coolant may flow to fast and not have time in the rad to transfer the heat out of the coolant effectively.

Boxing in the rad also helps. If you can get all the air through the rad and not around it the temps will drop faster, but it only helps when the car is moving as the fan will only pull air from directly where it's mounted.

I'm just sharing what worked for me and I hope the OP gets his problem solved.

IMG_0493.JPG
IMG_0495.JPG

I hated not being able to run my AC and didn't enjoy my car in the summer months until I did these modifications.

Last edited:
I'm sure I'm well on my way of fixing my issue. I'm convinced the majority of my issues was this crappy aftermarket dual fan set-up with no-name brand fans. They never really seemed to move much air. My biggest issue is finding something that fits and is part of the reason I started this post. I made my own low profile shroud and also have a pusher/puller set-up. I'm also convinced that it will probably be way overkill and hope to eventually eliminate the pusher. For now I have other modifications that need to be made before I can do any real good conclusive testing.
AG.

I hope it works out for you. Having cooling issues sucks when you actually drive your car daily like I do.

I just wanted to share how I solved that problem on my car.

It cost less than 300 bucks and a couple hours of my time.

That would be an SN95 fan and they move over 5000cfm on high.

I had problems cooling with my big F/M until I bought an SN95 fan. I went from 200* plus in the 100* heat with the AC on down to 180*/185* range while in stop and go traffic and the fan will bring it down to the 170* shut off point set in the chip in just a couple of minutes.

Also if you run the in tank trans cooler you want to add a dedicated cooler/fan unit preferably activated off the coolant switch. I have mine mounted under the battery next to my alky pump which keeps the heat generated by the trans off the rad and cooled the fluid some before it even ran into the rad tank which took more load off the rad. My trans temps came down 20*/25*and the recovery time was also cut in half which also took a load off the rad helping it run cooler and

Running an external transcooler? I've talked to my trans guy...he said the rad cooler are somewhat inefficient plus run a risk of contamination. I've mount my trans cooler to the front of my FMIC...works well.

Running an external transcooler? I've talked to my trans guy...he said the rad cooler are somewhat inefficient plus run a risk of contamination. I've mount my trans cooler to the front of my FMIC...works well.

That's cool, pun intended.

I use both because it does help and if you have a good rad contamination shouldn't be a problem.

I also run mine under the battery box with a ten" fan for two reasons. Less hose for a chance to leak/crack or rub through and because any heat I can keep off the FMIC, condenser and rad is just that much less work for them and more efficient for the whole system.