Cooling with large front mount.

turbobitt

I was tired of my car running hot and with increasing the intercooler thickness from 3 to 6 inches it is only going to get worse. I decided to fab my own fan shrouds. I have a single 2500 cfm pusher in the front and a single 2500 cfm puller in the rear. The video shows the suction at the grill with this fan strategy. The pusher fan is mounted in an open shroud as not to restrict any possible airflow that enters the front of the radiator. The puller is mounted in a solid shroud so it can pull a vacuum across the entire core.

This is the front pusher
91d963b81f19d82feb276065ec74d198.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was tired of my car running hot and with increasing the intercooler thickness from 3 to 6 inches it is only going to get worse. I decided to fab my own fan shrouds. I have a single 2500 cfm pusher in the front and a single 2500 cfm puller in the rear. The video shows the suction at the grill with this fan strategy. The pusher fan is mounted in an open shroud as not to restrict any possible airflow that enters the front of the radiator. The puller is mounted in a solid shroud so it can pull a vacuum across the entire core.

This is the front pusher

IS there any reason you couldn't convert over to a liquid intercooler solution ? ... pretty compact overall and far more effective in a race application

I didn't want to deal with the extra plumbing and loosing my passenger seat. I also wanted to try a different intercooler designed by me and hopefully will have yet another intercooler solution as well.
AG

I didn't want to deal with the extra plumbing and loosing my passenger seat. I also wanted to try a different intercooler designed by me and hopefully will have yet another intercooler solution as well.
AG

Just throwing it out there as it's a far better solution unless you drive the car in the street or have a passenger along for the 1/4 mile blast ..

Car is mostly street driven. Take the kids out for a ride in the summer months.

Car is mostly street driven. Take the kids out for a ride in the summer months.

Ahh totally understand then .... that must be a real treat for the kids ... curious who's core are you using for the intercooler ( if you prefer not to say that's ok)

I chose Bell core since they had the most selection for sizes. There is s lot of detail on the build in the general forum.

This is the front pusher

Why were you running hot before? Did you still have an AC system? How hot?

I can see how this could be up and coming problem with the monster 6" dual pass. But was there something you attributed to running on the hot side before this?

Why were you running hot before? Did you still have an AC system? How hot?

I can see how this could be up and coming problem with the monster 6" dual pass. But was there something you attributed to running on the hot side before this?
if the ambient temp gets over 75 ish than the coolant temp would slowly creep up and never be in control. I have been as hot as 250 F on long drives. I never had this issue before but since I raised the compression and changed to the CAS V1 and removed the AC its been a different ball game.
AG.

if the ambient temp gets over 75 ish than the coolant temp would slowly creep up and never be in control. I have been as hot as 250 F on long drives. I never had this issue before but since I raised the compression and changed to the CAS V1 and removed the AC its been a different ball game.
AG.
It seems you may be planning for even more cooling upgrades in the future if necessary?

Maybe some baffling. Electric water pump. I'm sure you didn't ignore the radiator so I won't bring that up. But maybe something you missed?
Could compression make this much of a difference? Seems like an awful lot.

I had a CAS V1 before and no issues. Actually, I have a hard time keeping my temps up yo operating temperature sometimes.

It seems you may be planning for even more cooling upgrades in the future if necessary?

Maybe some baffling. Electric water pump. I'm sure you didn't ignore the radiator so I won't bring that up. But maybe something you missed?
Could compression make this much of a difference? Seems like an awful lot.

I had a CAS V1 before and no issues. Actually, I have a hard time keeping my temps up yo operating temperature sometimes.
Believe me I tried everything. I already had a Mezerie electric pump and now have a big remote mount pump to takes its place. I modified the intake cooling passage on the fabricated sheet metal intake to help improve flow. Tried removing the thermostat, restrictor plates, and whatever else I could come up with. I'm convinced this is the direction I need to go. My last commercially available dual fan that I bought looked to be smaller fans so my new setup may be over and beyond what is necessary but I can always take one fan out easily now and see what happens.
AG.

Believe me I tried everything. I already had a Mezerie electric pump and now have a big remote mount pump to takes its place. I modified the intake cooling passage on the fabricated sheet metal intake to help improve flow. Tried removing the thermostat, restrictor plates, and whatever else I could come up with. I'm convinced this is the direction I need to go. My last commercially available dual fan that I bought looked to be smaller fans so my new setup may be over and beyond what is necessary but I can always take one fan out easily now and see what happens.
AG.
I figured that you have probably left no stone un-turned. Let us know how you do. In your case, to much wind seems as if it will never be a bad thing.

Maybe, one fan should run all the time after 160*? This may help prevent heat soak in the coolant that you then can't keep up with.

I cant believe you would have cooling issues. My car on gas would see 173° to 178° even in 90+ heat, and now on e85, it never hits 170°. I have an f body radiator and intrepid fans. The only cars I have seen run 180+ had the popular big aluminum radiator everyone thinks they have to buy.

I cant believe you would have cooling issues. My car on gas would see 173° to 178° even in 90+ heat, and now on e85, it never hits 170°. I have an f body radiator and intrepid fans. The only cars I have seen run 180+ had the popular big aluminum radiator everyone thinks they have to buy.
Maybe guys with silver TRs are just cooler.:cool:;)

Why did u go one huge single instead of 2 smaller ones ? Is there a cooling advantage ?I had issues with my super extreme front mount and actually found some fans that flowed 3200 cfm each .

I've owned this car for 20+ years now and been through several combination changes and it is what it is. I know I'm not the only one with issues.
AG

Why did u go one huge single instead of 2 smaller ones ? Is there a cooling advantage ?I had issues with my super extreme front mount and actually found some fans that flowed 3200 cfm each .
Yes I did consider 2 smaller ones and had a shroud designed with the fans staggered to cool across the entire core but it came down to space and packaging for my application.
AG

i am battling the same issue as you Allan, and this will be my next step, so i'd like to know how you make out...

any testing yet?

i am battling the same issue as you Allan, and this will be my next step, so i'd like to know how you make out...

any testing yet?
No I just installed it and it's to cold out to get an accurate impression of the performance difference. Things are happening slow right now and still have to get my new headers made. I will say that it's moving more air.
AG