You can type here any text you want

Crank thrust - End play

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Jerryl

Tall Unvaccinated Chinese Guy
Fresh motor/short block, on the stand, never even turned the crank on the stand. . . . . and because I no longer trust anyone, I decided to measure the crank thrust.

Here is my procedure;
1-Set-up a dial indicator on the back side, and make sure it is as close to parallel to he mains and as close to the center of the crank as possible.
2-Hit/tapped the snout with a dead blow hammer into the block, towards the indicator.
3-Pry the crank in the front with a little pressure, thrusting it back into the block, with a small pry bar.
4-Zero'd the indicator.
5-Take a pry bar, and pry the crank forward, read the dial indicator - 0.009" :mad:

Repeated this about 5 times with the same results. (At least it's consistent ;))
I asked the machine shop specifically, to make sure they looked at the end play, since it was at 0.014" when I dropped of the motor.
Now I get 0.009 on a fresh motor? :mad:
(They have build quite a few 109's for the locals)

I am now questioning the polishing of the trust bearing surface.
I am thinking to call the shop and return it for correction closer to 0.004-0.006"

Anyone second my thoughts or too picky/concerned?
Do I need to get the thrust side of the bearing coated for a tighter dim, or are they available off the shelf?

That's alittle more than I like to see but it's ok. I built a buddy of mine's engine 2 years ago and it had 10thous. end play and is still running great. I would'nt worry about it. GM says 003 to 011.

end thrust

Do you weld up the crank thrust area if it is too worn or toss another crank to the recycling bin!

Jerryl, The clearance is FINE! Stick with it. The only thing I would double check is the finish on the thrust surface of the crank. If they "touched" it with the grinding wheel, it'll have a saw-tooth pattern that can and WILL cut it's way into the bearing. I hand polish the thrust surfaces and have since reduced thrust problems to almost nothing. Before I started hand polishing the journal, it was almost 50%. I tried alot of differnet ways to keep the thrust bearing alive, and hand polishing the surface is the best, by far, way to keep the bearing alive. Look closely at a dressed thrust surface, and it looks just like a saw blade. Smooth that out, and it'll do wonders! I use to hand machine a groove in the main bearuing to spray oil on the rear thrust face. That didn't help much. Now I don't do that anymore. Just a 1/2 hr with 500, 600, 1500 grit and make it SMOOOOTH. Best 1/2 hr you'll spend. (unless it takes you a 1/2 hr. to install an intercooler in that POS '85 Hot Air you have.;))

Iv'e got a 10 over thrust bearing in my engine that's had the crap run out of it for 6 years now and still going strong!!!!

Jerryl, The clearance is FINE! Stick with it. The only thing I would double check is the finish on the thrust surface of the crank. If they "touched" it with the grinding wheel, it'll have a saw-tooth pattern that can and WILL cut it's way into the bearing. I hand polish the thrust surfaces and have since reduced thrust problems to almost nothing. Before I started hand polishing the journal, it was almost 50%. I tried alot of differnet ways to keep the thrust bearing alive, and hand polishing the surface is the best, by far, way to keep the bearing alive. Look closely at a dressed thrust surface, and it looks just like a saw blade. Smooth that out, and it'll do wonders! I use to hand machine a groove in the main bearuing to spray oil on the rear thrust face. That didn't help much. Now I don't do that anymore. Just a 1/2 hr with 500, 600, 1500 grit and make it SMOOOOTH. Best 1/2 hr you'll spend. (unless it takes you a 1/2 hr. to install an intercooler in that POS '85 Hot Air you have.;))

Yeah, I have read those post before about your advice. :cool:
As we discussed . . . you would not belief (Maybe you would ;)) how many have advised me to swith to the 87 set-up. Sometimes I wonder . . . .
My intercooler AKA PAC takes me a LOT longer to install, but I am S-L-O-W-E-R than most, but in my efforts to get this thing done, and at the track. ;)

Thanks for the feedback. I feel a little better about it.
If I had to weld the crank, I'd just get a stroker for this HA. :rolleyes:

Next: How to seal Cometic HG's. ;)

:cool:
87 Action, You just grind the journal to accept a .010" or .020" oversized thrust bearing.

. . . . . So, where would a rookie get such a bearing?
PS: Machine shop confirmed that the crank thrust surface was polished. :cool:

Ken, can you explain your technique for hand polishing the the thrust surface please?

end play

I would use it BUT if it really bothers you @ .009 and you would sleep better @ .006---.007--send the thrust bearing to Callico Coating (N.C) and have both side coated.

Sand paper and hand polishing:
500, 600, 1500 grit to finish it off.

Same way I polished the up-pipe on my GN

Just wondering how you keep the surface flat since we're talking very small clearances. I've got polishing compounds at work that could put a mirror finish on the surface but I couldn't make sure it would be flat which I assume is important.

Anyone got a picture of one polished?

Just wondering how you keep the surface flat since we're talking very small clearances. I've got polishing compounds at work that could put a mirror finish on the surface but I couldn't make sure it would be flat which I assume is important.

Anyone got a picture of one polished?

Did you ever get an answer to this old thread?

Mine has .040 and have .010 thrust bearing as thrust surface was cut when crank was ground. Running with it over a decade.

Just wondering how you keep the surface flat since we're talking very small clearances.

With those grits, you couldn't change the shape if you tried. When it comes to sanding/lapping by hand once the metal gets 'smooth', the media just quits eating. Once the 'mountains' get knocked down, the grit just can't reach down and dig.

I noticed that years ago when I was building my 4.1. I had my crank in the lathe and polishing the journals trying to get more than .0003" on my main clearances. I damn near wore out a belt and the journal just got bigger instead of smaller. Instead of removing metal I was just imparting heat. Let the crank cool off for a few hours and turns out all the extra polishing didn't even remove a 10th. I do have one shiny ass crank though!! :D

I polish gold and deal with clearances of 8 microns. I can easily lose 2 to 3 microns with the high polish from my final contacts so I have to compensate for that. Of course gold is much softer than the metals that we're talking about here.

.003 to .011 is in spec .
IMG_0744.JPG
IMG_0745.JPG
i Think its fine i like a little Extra not to tight more room for oil .I modify the bearing to let oil get to the rear thrust side of the bearing

Back