You can type here any text you want

Cross over flex coupler needed

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

norbs

Classic fast, XFI, SPortsman & MS3 programming
Looking for a high quality flex coupler (bellows) to use pre turbo.........2.5" diameter, Who can I get something like this from ?

Good stuff is expensive, but you do NOT want one with the braided liner inside the pipe, or that stuff will end up in your turbo. :(

Here's a pic of where i need it

x over copy.JPG

These guys have the basic one without the inner liner. In 2.5", they are 6" long.

http://www.racepartssolutions.com/products.asp?cat=82

In my opinion, you don't need one for your crossover design. As things expand the crossover has enough 90's that it will swivel in the v-bands.

Thanks, unfortunately the headers were designed for a dry sump so I had to make a real sharp 90 and cut into the radius at the X over as you see, I hope it wont limit flow, and it does look ugly, but I had no choice in the matter.

If you need a expansion joint to eliminate cracks, use a double wall slip connector. Burns Stainless has them, or make one yourself.

If you need a expansion joint to eliminate cracks, use a double wall slip connector. Burns Stainless has them, or make one yourself.

Thanks but I don;t want no leaks. My TA headers had that design, looked impressive until I could see the exhaust soot around the joint. It may seal ok , but I don;t want to have any leaks at all.

I was told you can use those expansion joints as they will not hold the backpressure in a turbo system...they will blow apart.

backpressure is 2 or 3 to 1 so 20 psi of boost is 40- or 60 psi in that piping....it sounds like a bomb going off when the slip joint that all the header manufactures use blows apart at 26 psi!!!! scared the shit out of me

I was told you can use those expansion joints as they will not hold the backpressure in a turbo system...they will blow apart.

backpressure is 2 or 3 to 1 so 20 psi of boost is 40- or 60 psi in that piping....it sounds like a bomb going off when the slip joint that all the header manufactures use blows apart at 26 psi!!!! scared the shit out of me

If you look at the vendors selling double slip joints, they also sell retention devices to prevent what you are talking about.
here's a link to 1 of the better suppliers:
http://www.spdexhaust.com/pdfs/AccPDFs/Retainers.pdf

nice...thank you..Im in the process of making a new header crossover and really did not want to make it one piece.

If you are really concerned about a perfect seal in a slip joint, add a dab of high temp silicone prior to assembly. Or Norbs, you could try that super high temp glue stuff you were asking about earlier. Might be the perfect application for that stuff?

x over3.JPG
xover final.JPG
If you are really concerned about a perfect seal in a slip joint, add a dab of high temp silicone prior to assembly. Or Norbs, you could try that super high temp glue stuff you were asking about earlier. Might be the perfect application for that stuff?
Ya that might be a good idea, however for now I just want to get it running and I'll deal with this issue at a later date loks like, thanks for your suggestions. I just made it solid for now, but I know it will be under some tension some how, since it already is tough to put on ,after welding it may have moved...:(

Back