You can type here any text you want

cylinder heads & camshaft

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

1BAD_GN

1BAD_GN
Just purchased my first GN(87), its bone stock. I would like to upgrade cylinder heads and camshaft, preferably a hydraulic flat tappet, any suggestions??

You may want to do a lot of info gathering before you do anything to your GN, especially since stock GN's have been into the 10's [500 HP] with un-opened factory engines, just the PROPER add-on parts for performance and reliability. :)

My suggestion is as long as it is running well with no issues, don't do either. Factory head gasket seal is hard to beat. Way cheaper and easier way to make power improvements than tearing into the engine. My stock engine car with stock turbo runs into the 12's very easily. Bolt ons go a long way.

Do as Nick says and you'll be very surprised how fast you can make a bone stock engine go. Number one learn how to TUNE the thing !!

You may want to do a lot of info gathering before you do anything to your GN, especially since stock GN's have been into the 10's [500 HP] with un-opened factory engines, just the PROPER add-on parts for performance and reliability. :)
I never would have built my motor had I not blown a hg. I'd start slow and leave the motor stock for awhile.

Just purchased my first GN(87), its bone stock. I would like to upgrade cylinder heads and camshaft, preferably a hydraulic flat tappet, any suggestions??

Goal? If its mid 11's....with ease with stock unopened engine with basic bolt ons and traction.

Do some research first as mentioned. Biggest thing is DONT DETONATE!!!

Thanks guys, your advice is well appreciated. i would like to make the car a mid 11 second car. From what I've been reading on the different forums that should be easily done with the stock motor and turbo with the correct parts and tuning. I see that upgrading the fuel pump along with adjustable regulator and Scanmaster is a MUST. Also would like to do a performance chip. My next question is it okay to run a mixture of 112 octane along with 93 pump fuel once i have bolt-ons installed?

Dont mix fuels imo as you will never know the exact octane....and cant really tune and keep it in/on/near sweet spot.
Best for your goal is alky and pump gas, this with the basic bolt ons and traction mid elevens all day with 22ish psi and 1.6ish 60 foot.

pull trans and converter out,and upgrade the 200.pay attention to the drivetrain and fuel system leave the motor alone.tt chip and alkycontrol.

throw an alky kit on it and call it a day

In my opinion, this is NOT the first thing you want to do? :eek:

An alky kit can work well especially on a street car if all else is working as it should, and you must have ample fuel supply.

The weakest item on a stock GN is its fuel delivery system. The stock fuel pump is marginal at best even 25 years ago, and even less than adequate now.

Alcohol injection is used to cool the intake charge in the combustion chamber, and will allow more boost for more power. When you increase HP, you must also increase fuel and air into each cylinder.

So first you need a pump and regulator to provide more fuel, and a chip to manage fuel delivery and other parameters for a safe, reliable increase in power.

I have repaired many stock GN's because new owners just added parts which were not compatible with the build, or each other.

The factory did an excellent job providing us with a great combination, and after lots of screw-ups, we have learned what works when adding and changing parts for increased performance, and what NOT to do! :D

You should define a performance goal, then find a build to fit that, and your budget, not just throw random parts at it.

i guess i shouldnt "assume" one to cover the basics before making performance upgrades o_O

In my opinion, this is NOT the first thing you want to do? :eek:

An alky kit can work well especially on a street car if all else is working as it should, and you must have ample fuel supply.

The weakest item on a stock GN is its fuel delivery system. The stock fuel pump is marginal at best even 25 years ago, and even less than adequate now.

Alcohol injection is used to cool the intake charge in the combustion chamber, and will allow more boost for more power. When you increase HP, you must also increase fuel and air into each cylinder.

So first you need a pump and regulator to provide more fuel, and a chip to manage fuel delivery and other parameters for a safe, reliable increase in power.

I have repaired many stock GN's because new owners just added parts which were not compatible with the build, or each other.

The factory did an excellent job providing us with a great combination, and after lots of screw-ups, we have learned what works when adding and changing parts for increased performance, and what NOT to do! :D

You should define a performance goal, then find a build to fit that, and your budget, not just throw random parts at it.
Thanks Nick. I want performance to be in the mid 11's nothing to radical and still be a pleasure to put my wife in it and take a cruise around town. Not to mention, having a sleeper for the unknowing!!

You are headed to a point where the majority of GN owners are, or want to be.

It is ironic that my son had no choice but to help me work on GN's as he was growing up, and now with his own turbo car, he is just about where you are now! He just missed running his first 11 sec pass with a 12.0 Saturday with simple add-ons.

I feel a need to pass on my mistakes, and learning curve, to next generation of turbo Buick enthusiasts so the "legend" will continue. Especially for new owners I think it is necessary they follow a proper path and keep from being discouraged or disappointed by spending money, and not getting good results, or worse having broken parts.

Lots of help was offered here, and on the entire board, and if you are comfortable, or need to discuss further any of your questions, feel free to call me. :)

Back