DBB 70 GTQ, stall/spool rpm??? anyone

Alaskabuick

Anyone running this turbo on the street with any feed back? How is responce and where does it hit?

Thanks

Den

I'm curious what the min stall is so the tires don’t blow off hard but yet still spools well on the street.

i have it on my new engine but it's not in yet, but i was told i would be ok with a 3200, which is what i have -an art carr ( cali-performance) 9 inch non-lock-up can't wait to try them out.:)

stall

Right now I have a vigalanti (supposed to be 3800) converter, I foot brake it and will not let the motor go above 3000, wants to push the car or just wont go above the 3k. So not sure if my stall on the converter is right? It was supposed to be 3800+.

The car will barley spin a tire out of the hole, I have MT DR and about 100 pounds of ballast in the trunk. This thing hooks but is slow on the spool with this converter.

With my Belltronics G meter I can stop and from a no boost launch (2.0 60', no spinning at all just mat the pedel) click off a 11.6 1/4 mile at 120mph @ 19 pounds of boost and 22deg timming. Does this sound right?

The turbo seems to hit at 3800, I am new at tuning the fast so I may not be set up the best for spool.

I would like a better spool up, just sent my spare 911 converter out to Bruce at pts to get restalled to 3800 or higher.

I think it is really hard when talking converters about what stall, because I have found that each converter stalls a different, usually lower than what I ordered. Or is it just me?

Dennis

stall speed and boost interact. you can't quote stall speed without quoting boost.

A stock converter is about 2000 at zero psi, and 2400 at 5psi.

Most of the "3200 rpm" converters I have seen are 3200 at 5psi.

So what boost is at 3000RPM?

Bob

boost

Bob,

Let me go play with the car and check to see where it makes boost if any with this converter Brake torqueing.

What ever the case I think I need way looser converter. I had this one restalled to be 3800 and it just does not seem to me that is even close, a 3800 from what I have heard should spin the heck out of a 70 DBB.

Dennis

You really should be testing it against a transbrake, but no sure how long the converter will last with a transbrake

I think it is really hard when talking converters about what stall, because I have found that each converter stalls a different, usually lower than what I ordered. Or is it just me?

Dennis

I had my "O" pump Vigilante restalled about a year ago. It was suppose to rpm about 3700 to 3800 but my engine can stall that thing to 4500 at 15psi of boost.:eek: I have replaced it with another one that stalls much less....at 15psi it now goes to 3700 with my 70GTQ with .85hsg. Unfortunately, I don't know the part number for it.

I had my "O" pump Vigilante restalled about a year ago. It was suppose to rpm about 3700 to 3800 but my engine can stall that thing to 4500 at 15psi of boost.:eek: I have replaced it with another one that stalls much less....at 15psi it now goes to 3700 with my 70GTQ with .85hsg. Unfortunately, I don't know the part number for it.

Im not sure what the deal is with mine but it is really a pig out of the hole and for just normal steet action.. However the Turbo does pull once it is up on the pipe.. she rolls..

Dennis

There is almost no in between converter that would be acceptable for a turbo like that. You are better off going with the converter that will make it spool fast and running an electronic boost controller with CO2 to maximize the spool/vs tire spin on the street/track. If you pick a converter that wont blow the tires off it will be a dog out of the hole. I would go with a 3500-3600 stall at zero psi if an 8:1 231ci engine with an aftermarket ecu. A 3400 would work if the engine was 9.0-9.5:1 compression with the aftermarket ecu. A solid 4000 stall at zero boost would be needed for a non BB version of the 70GTQ to get it going. The 70GTQ needs to be over 5200 rpm at 24-28 psi on a 231ci to be most efficient.

There is almost no in between converter that would be acceptable for a turbo like that. You are better off going with the converter that will make it spool fast and running an electronic boost controller with CO2 to maximize the spool/vs tire spin on the street/track. If you pick a converter that wont blow the tires off it will be a dog out of the hole. I would go with a 3500-3600 stall at zero psi if an 8:1 231ci engine with an aftermarket ecu. A 3400 would work if the engine was 9.0-9.5:1 compression with the aftermarket ecu. A solid 4000 stall at zero boost would be needed for a non BB version of the 70GTQ to get it going. The 70GTQ needs to be over 5200 rpm at 24-28 psi on a 231ci to be most efficient.

I should send my converter in for a re stall...looks like I am out in left field based on this info.:eek:

I would not go jumping to spending money just yet. Chances are that you may be down on some power and that is why its not stalling what it should be. One thing is for sure, if you loosen up the TC and then latter find that power then your TC will be to loose.

Put some more time into tunning. Its not easy & if The Fast is new to you, then you may have some learning that you have to go threw. I know for a fact that the tune up can effect the turbo spool a hugh amount. IMHO, even though in the end you may deside to go for more stall in your TC, you need to have the engine right where it will be to even know what stall you have to go to.

Dont be afraid to expeirament with the tune. What it needs for cruising may not be what it needs for launching. It takes a combonation of heat & RPM to spool a turbo, but you want to take the heat out after its spooled.

Jess

I should send my converter in for a re stall...looks like I am out in left field based on this info.:eek:

Maybe these guys dont have $40k to spend on their cars trying to extract maximum power running in a class that is not much of a street class even though the name may imply it. What works for you may not work for others especially on a car that is driven thousands of miles a year on the street. The stalls i gave will work. Only problem would be if they ate up too much up top. I dont know of many racers that got their converter selection right on the first try either. Luckily the converter market has changed for the better in recent years and we arent stuck dicking around with converters that fail to perform or break a few times a year. Now run 8's in TSM trim damn it.

there's no reason why a 3200 flash stall converter wouldn't work on a 70 dual BB GTQ...hell I've seen guys spool a NON ball bearing 70 with the same converter...it's all in the tune...of course cubic inches always helps too (for instance, the stroker motor combos can get away with a smaller stall on larger turbos because of the larger stroke)...I had the 67 P-trim dual BB on my car just recently before I split my block and had the same converter and that thing spooled just as fast as a stock turbo (you can ask Patrick on that one...he's got it now)...a 70 isn't THAT much bigger honestly...the new Garrett dual roller ball bearing CHRA's are no joke...even the BIG turbos (GT47's, etc.) are getting that upgrade...they are indeed bad@ss

Maybe some of the faster more knowledgeable guys could help you with your cars issues?? There is a lot of good info available here.