Digital LED Tailights for the TR

Finished the install yesterday.

Lights operate just like the youtube video I posted and they look much much nicer with the trim on and mounted. Working on getting another video up. Here's a rundown of my install with the way I did it using the directions as more of a guideline.

All of my install is done to be completely reversible with no factory wires being cut at all.

I removed the lenses and trim and drilled the holes for the LED boards. Before I put the screws in to mount the boards I used a little bit of a flexible adhesive/sealant over the holes and then pushed the screws in for the boards. You can buy this at any auto parts store. The name of mine was Pit Crews Choice. I did this as opposed to rubber washers as it allows for a better seal against moisture.

While the sealant was setting up I ran the Orange power wire that came with the kit to the trunk light power wire. You need to get into the trunk and in the innermost lefthand corner you will see two wires coming into the trunk with factory loom and electrical tape on them. The wires are held to the inside of the trunk by plastic clips that push into holes to help route them. They are mouned one on top of the other and the trunk light power wire is inside the top one. Just peel back some of the factory tape to expose the Orange wire in there. I spliced into that with a quick clip connector and covered it with electrical tape to match and pushed the retainer clip back into the hole to retain the factory look. Now you can route your orange wire along the inside of the rear quater panel. There is a factory blue wire there. You can follow that.

I removed the license plate bracket to expose the nuts that hold the plastic part around the filler neck to the car. You will notice that it is impossible to remove this without chancing damage to your bumper fillers because the screws are welded to the car and you can't pull out enough to clear them. You need to just pull the top portion out far enough so the screws will come out of the holes and let it sit there for later. You will see the factory wire loom in there.

I then took the wires from the kit and opened them both up. You will notice there is four of each set. 4-orange and black and 4-brown, green, yellow. I paired them up and placed each pair next to the factory bulb sockets to get an idea of where they go. I lined the wires up from right to left so all the ends were together on the left side of the car. You will need to trim them so the ends line up because you have to tie the ends together by color. I twisted the ends of each matching color together and used the supplied blue butt connectors with heat shrinks to hold them. When you are done you will have 5 connectors there. 1 with the four black wires, 1 with the four orange wires and so on. The kit didn't come with enough wire for me to use in the other side of the butt connectors. I had some red power wire and black ground wire in the garage. I also had a trailer wiring kit laying around and it worked out perfect because the three wires it had were brown, green and yellow. I proceeded to splice them into the open ends of the butt connectors with the corresponding colors. When you finish this you will have 1 of each color wire. This is what will go into the trunk later.

I then covered the wires with split wire loom. I filled the stock bulb sockets with bulb grease and covered them completly with duct tape to seal out any moisture. I ran the wire loom in behind the bumper fillers and over the filler neck near the factory loom to the left hand side. I used a couple zip ties around the loom and the bumper filler brackets to hold it in place. Now you will have all the wires hidden with just connectors for the LED boards sticking up from the bumper fillers and the end of each color wire hanging on the left hand side of the car.

Now, if you look in your trunk just behind the drivers tailight right next to the rear quarter panel you will see your trunk bottom has a small void along the quarter. Just pull your carpet up and you will see a factory connector there with a ground location right next to it on the trunk floor. This is your connection point. Look at the factory connector and you will see there is a black connector clipped into a gray one. The black connector is facing the front of the car and the gray the rear. Look at the wires coming out of the black connector that run toward the front of the car. The colors of them are exposed for a few inches before the go into some factory loom. You will see solid green, solid yellow and solid brown wire next to each other along with a couple other wires. These are the wires you need to tap into later.

If you look down into that corner of the trunk and follow the factory wires you will see where they go out the trunk and into the area behind the bumper. I drilled a small 7/16ths inch hole just above that factory hole from inside the trunk. I then pushed a rubber wire grommet into the hole. Now you can push your wires into the trunk right next to the connector you need to tap into. Looks great too because the hole is beneath the trunk floor in that void and when you pull your carpet back you won't see a thing! I then used a butt connector to connect the power wire I ran down that side earlier and the factory ground is right there. I then used 3 T-connectors to connect the corresponding colors to the factory wires.

Now, I hooked up the no-load flasher I ordered from Spaghetti. Just remove the small section underneath your dash that houses the vent blower. Two screws. You will need to pull the bottom of your dash bezel out a littlle to free the piece from behind it. Just let that hang there and look up and to the right of the steering column and you will see the flasher relay there. It has a purple and a blue wire coming from it. Just pull off the stock flasher and connect the no-load flasher. The no-load has a ground wire coming from it and I attached it to the unsed hole on the metal wire harness that is right there to your right. I then flipped the no-load flasher upside down and clipped it back into the factory bracket. You need to do that because the ground wire comes from the top of the flasher and the wire isn't that long.

You can now put the vent blower piece back on and mount the tailights back into place. If you have done it correctly you will have not cut any factory wiring and you will not notice any new wires coming into your trunk from the outside.

This is just my experience and is to be used as a guide to help you. Feel free to ask me any questions I can help you with. It takes some time but is well worth it when it is done. I'm going away for the long holiday weekend so I may not answer you right away but will as soon as I can.

Thanks to Scot W and Spaghetti for this cool add-on.

Finished the install yesterday...

I received my flasher today and finished my install.

Question Tooch...the only function of my lights that does not act as I think they should is the running lights + signaling. When having the running lights on and signaling (as you would do when changing lanes on the highway at night) the inside board of the side I'm signaling to flickers and the outside light cascades intermittenly or sometimes not at all.

It acting like some sort of load problem. What does yours do? Did you leave both 194 bulbs on each light (total of 4) connected?

I received my flasher today and finished my install.

Question Tooch...the only function of my lights that does not act as I think they should is the running lights + signaling. When having the running lights on and signaling (as you would do when changing lanes on the highway at night) the inside board of the side I'm signaling to flickers and the outside light cascades intermittenly or sometimes not at all.

It acting like some sort of load problem. What does yours do? Did you leave both 194 bulbs on each light (total of 4) connected?
The inside board was designed to do that as a added feature for visability & safety. As to them sometimes going intermittently you might want to double check all your connections again.

Also those LED bulbs you bought just may have an effect on my kit also. You may want to contact Spaghetti engineering tomarow and ask them if that would have an effect on them.

If you do not like the way that added feature looks. Spaghetti engineering said they will cover all costs to have it changed for you.

Scot W.

The inside board was designed to do that as a added feature for visability & safety. As to them sometimes going intermittently you might want to double check all your connections again.

Also those LED bulbs you bought just may have an effect on my kit also. You may want to contact Spaghetti engineering tomarow and ask them if that would have an effect on them.

If you do not like the way that added feature looks. Spaghetti engineering said they will cover all costs to have it changed for you.

Scot W.

I haven't received the LED bulbs yet. Even if I had then wouldn't be installed until the system checked out as working. Troubleshooting 101 don't add anything until it works...

I'll recheck the connections. but it only happens in the situation I described. All other functions work as advertised.

If I press the brakes and signal with running lights on (as if from a stop at a traffic light at night) the lights cascade normal with the interior boards pulsing as you mentioned. It's only when I signal with running lights on with the brakes not depressed that the outside boards do not cascade or do so intermittenly. The instructions make no mention of the running light (194 bulb) between the two boards it only mentions reinstalling the 194 bulb at the ends. I'm wondering if keeping this unmentioned bulb would have an effect on the system.

I haven't received the LED bulbs yet. Even if I had then wouldn't be installed until the system checked out as working. Troubleshooting 101 don't add anything until it works...

I'll recheck the connections. but it only happens in the situation I described. All other functions work as advertised.

If I press the brakes and signal with running lights on (as if from a stop at a traffic light at night) the lights cascade normal with the interior boards pulsing as you mentioned. It's only when I signal with running lights on with the brakes not depressed that the outside boards do not cascade or do so intermittenly. The instructions make no mention of the running light (194 bulb) between the two boards it only mentions reinstalling the 194 bulb at the ends. I'm wondering if keeping this unmentioned bulb would have an effect on the system.
Yep! The stock bulbs and sockets will still go back in there original places where the LED's are not! So, Yes the stock bulb should be in between the LED boards. try that and let me know how it is.

Scot W.

Got everything installed and they look great however, I have no turn signals. I'm assuming that is because I need to replace the flasher. Is that correct? :confused:

Autozone and Oreilly people looked at me like I had a second head when I asked them for a no-load flasher. Does anyone have a part number that I can use when at the parts store, or a contact infor for Spaghetti to order one from them?

Autozone and Oreilly people looked at me like I had a second head when I asked them for...

Yeah, isn't that always fun? Parts stores are worthless these days. But in their defense, they pretty much carry OEM replacement stuff and these electronic LED flashers are mainly for aftermarket kits.

This is the one I use with my LED replacement bulbs:

2 PIN ELECTRONIC LED FLASHER BLINKER FIX 1157 3157 7443

I'd REALLY like a completely updated install directions with all the proper parts that have not been included so that this can be a simple plug and play.

Yeah, isn't that always fun? Parts stores are worthless these days. But in their defense, they pretty much carry OEM replacement stuff and these electronic LED flashers are mainly for aftermarket kits.

This is the one I use with my LED replacement bulbs:

2 PIN ELECTRONIC LED FLASHER BLINKER FIX 1157 3157 7443
That may work fine but the LED flasher that Spaghetti engineering sells has a ground wire that needs to be hooked up. So i'm not possitive that one will work properly.

Scot W.

Autozone and Oreilly people looked at me like I had a second head when I asked them for a no-load flasher. Does anyone have a part number that I can use when at the parts store, or a contact infor for Spaghetti to order one from them?
Hi Jeff, Here is Spaghetti Engineering's phone number & LED flasher part number.

Phone #: 1-888-867-9309

Part # 200002

Scot W.

I'd REALLY like a completely updated install directions with all the proper parts that have not been included so that this can be a simple plug and play.
Well this set up isn't just a simple plug n play sytem. (it's close)..I will E-mail you the updated instructions today. They are left basic for the simple reason that everyone is going to install these kits on there own cars differently so I pointed out what wire loom your supposed to ta into. Where you do that is completly up to you after all it's your car..

Although I would love to send everyone a No-load flasher to save alot of hassle at this point i'm not in a position to buy those for everyone, have them shiped to me than have to pay the shipping to send them back out to everyone. I was the company's suggestion to NOT include them because everyone May Not need them. Well we are now aware that they are needed and i'm very sorry for the inconvenience that this may have caused.

I did buy a couple boxes of the tap connectors at $2.48 per 50. So if someone really needs these 5 tap connectors I will mail them to you.

The kit's from this point on WILL INCLUDE the (5 tap connectors) & (No-load flasher) and the price has been adjusted to reflect the added cost of those items.

Again i'm very sorry for the inconvenience.

Scot W.

I know checker's can special order a "no load led" flasher.

Do a search of "no load flasher" or "led flasher".

an resistors be used to simulate the load from the bulbs?

Yes that trick is used with regular LED replacement bulbs and I imagine it would work with this full LED kit as well. Defeats half of the purpose though, as one benefit of LED lights is less load on the electrical system. Putting a resistor into the circuit will simulate the load and make the thermal flasher operate again, but then you're drawing as much power as the old incandescent bulbs.

Email me also, if possible.

Scot,
I'm not going to do my install for a while, could you email me the latest
instructions at 67L88Vette@comcast.net ? Thanks in advance, and keep up
the goog work.
John A, Turbohh

Well this set up isn't just a simple plug n play sytem. (it's close)..I will E-mail you the updated instructions today. They are left basic for the simple reason that everyone is going to install these kits on there own cars differently so I pointed out what wire loom your supposed to ta into. Where you do that is completly up to you after all it's your car..

Although I would love to send everyone a No-load flasher to save alot of hassle at this point i'm not in a position to buy those for everyone, have them shiped to me than have to pay the shipping to send them back out to everyone. I was the company's suggestion to NOT include them because everyone May Not need them. Well we are now aware that they are needed and i'm very sorry for the inconvenience that this may have caused.

I did buy a couple boxes of the tap connectors at $2.48 per 50. So if someone really needs these 5 tap connectors I will mail them to you.

The kit's from this point on WILL INCLUDE the (5 tap connectors) & (No-load flasher) and the price has been adjusted to reflect the added cost of those items.

Again i'm very sorry for the inconvenience.

Scot W.

If we need something extra for the kits I've already bought, let me know what those are. I don't mind paying for the additional pieces if you can ship them to me. That would be appreciated. I will be installing the kits when I return from business in about 2 weeks, so no rush.