Digital LED Tailights for the TR

If we need something extra for the kits I've already bought, let me know what those are. I don't mind paying for the additional pieces if you can ship them to me. That would be appreciated. I will be installing the kits when I return from business in about 2 weeks, so no rush.
I sent you a PM with the needed info.

Scot W.

Ok...Bad News and Good news

The bad news...I spent the morning today checking and rechecking all my connections including my grounding points. I also switched out my no load flasher with another and switched out my 194's with a fresh set.

I won't restate my problem (you can look up a couple of posts to see it), but the bottom line is the only way I can get the LEDs to flash the correct way in all the combinations (brakes on/off, running lights on/off, etc.) is by having one stock brake bulb installed on each side. In this configuration the system works perfectly. Without a stock incandesant bulb installed in both sides I get intermittent flash/no flash cascade/no cascade errors depending on what I test.

The good news...I drove the car all day today and tonight and the light by the LED's emitted through my tinted tails was fantastic. It was great to look in my rear view mirror and see the entire road lit up red behind me. It would be nice to have the right setup though. Right now I have the stock bulb connections taped to the underside of the bumper.

Thoughts on my problem?

Ok...Bad News and Good news

The bad news...I spent the morning today checking and rechecking all my connections including my grounding points. I also switched out my no load flasher with another and switched out my 194's with a fresh set.

I won't restate my problem (you can look up a couple of posts to see it), but the bottom line is the only way I can get the LEDs to flash the correct way in all the combinations (brakes on/off, running lights on/off, etc.) is by having one stock brake bulb installed on each side. In this configuration the system works perfectly. Without a stock incandesant bulb installed in both sides I get intermittent flash/no flash cascade/no cascade errors depending on what I test.

The good news...I drove the car all day today and tonight and the light by the LED's emitted through my tinted tails was fantastic. It was great to look in my rear view mirror and see the entire road lit up red behind me. It would be nice to have the right setup though. Right now I have the stock bulb connections taped to the underside of the bumper.

Thoughts on my problem?
Please send me some pictures of those bulbs you have in and also if you could send me a video of what they are doing wrong I will figure this out for you! ;)
The first
thing to check in this case is that the front blinkers are working, if the
front blinkers are not working then you can't expect the back to work.

Common problems with the flashers are:

-mechanical flasher (needs to be replaced with an electronic flasher)
-bad ground on electronic flasher (double check ground)

Also, every once in awhile the flasher socket will be wired backwards (more
common with aftermarket wiring), in this case a mechanical flasher will
function but and electronic flasher will not work. The best fix for this
rare case is to switch the wires in the flasher socket to make it correct.

For cases like these you must troubleshoot the flasher first.

It's obviously something simple seeing ALL boards are pre-tested at the company before being sent out. That leaves two things- (hook up issue) or (flasher issue) other people have there's in there car and working fine. Please e-mail me those pic's and a video if possible and we will get you taken care of.

Scot W.
sgblhb@charter.net

Please send me some pictures of those bulbs you have in and also if you could send me a video of what they are doing wrong I will figure this out for you! ;)
The first
thing to check in this case is that the front blinkers are working, if the
front blinkers are not working then you can't expect the back to work...

Please e-mail me those pic's and a video if possible and we will get you taken care of.

Scot W.
sgblhb@charter.net

Just to be clearer. The bulbs installed in both the running light location and side marker are regular incadesant 194 bulbs. I brought 2 electronic flashers from Spagehtti. The electronic flasher will not blink at all unless it's properly grounded. I double checked the original ground connection and it was connected fine. I then repleced the flasher altogether with the second one I brought and tried a new ground location. The problem did not go away. For grins, I put the old flasher back in and it did not flash at all (as expected).

I beleive the boards are fine. As I said, the system works perfectly with a stock bulb in each socket.

In the correct configuration (without a stock bulb in each rear socket) the fronts always blink as they supposed to. The rears blink and cascade as they supposed to until the running lights are turned on. Then, although the running lights and side marker lights turn on and the brake lights still work, the blinking and cascading does not function properly.

As you can see in my signature, I have the Caspers headlight brightening harness. This means I do not have my headlights installed in the normal fashion. There is nothing connected to the front stock headlight sockets. I wonder could this change the load somehow and affect the system? Just throwing that out there.

I'll make a video of what the lights do today.

As you can see in my signature, I have the Caspers headlight brightening harness. This means I do not have my headlights installed in the normal fashion. There is nothing connected to the front stock headlight sockets. I wonder could this change the load somehow and affect the system? Just throwing that out there.

I'll make a video of what the lights do today.
Ahhhh, It most certianly could! Try by-passing that and put it back to normal and see what it does.

When doing some stuff like that to raise voltage on our cars it sometimes has adverse affects on other stuff. (example)- the volt booster had an effect on Razors alky kits.. Looking at your sig, You have quite a bit of enhancements to your system. You may have to do some checking to see what is causing your problem.

Here is how the drivers tail light bulb pattern should be looking at it from the back of the car:

Small Stock running light bulb ...... LED board #1 ........... Stock running/brake light bulb ......... LED board #2 ........... Stock reverse bulb

Scot W.

Unfortunately, I have upgraded my low beam headlights to H4's, and do not have any old fashioned stock sealed beam type headlights around to test with the original wiring (which is just tied off and tucked into the front bumper).

Ahhhh, It most certianly would! Try by-passing that and put it back to normal and see what it does.

When doing some stuff like that to raise voltage on our cars it sometimes has adverse affects on other stuff. (example)- the volt booster had an effect on Razors alky kits..

Scot W.

I've uploaded two videos.

The first is a video of the correct LED operation. In my case, I need to have one stock bulb in each side for it to work, but the video shows the way they work and look with tinted tails. I'll try to make another tonight to show how they look after sunset.

led correct operation.avi - 4.55MB

The second video illustrates my specific problem of how the boards do not function correctly without the stock bulbs installed.

incorrect operation.avi - 12.76MB

The testing sequence is:

No running lights
left turn
right turn

No running lights + brakes applied
left turn
right turn

Running lights on (as if passing at night on the highway)
left turn
right turn

Running lights on + brakes applied (as if waiting to make a turn at a light at night)
Left turn
Right turn

Done Deal, Scot And Spaghetti Engineering Are Awesome!!!!

K guys, I installed my taillights and they work awesome even with the stock flasher in it. My install is as follows:

All I did after installing the boards in the lights and putting the lights together I then did the wiring my own way. Here is how I did it. I fished the wires through the mounting holes. All wires are in the car. I then took one pack of the blue connectors, started on the passenger side, and connected the orange together, black together, green together, yellow together, and brown together.

From there I got a long piece of orange, black, brown, yellow, and green wires and connected them in the open end of the blue connectors on the passenger side.

From there I took each of those wires and connected them with the coordinating wires on the drivers side with the other pack of blue connectors. I then took a piece of black, brown, orange, green, and yellow wire about 6 inches long and connected it to the open side of the blue connectors on the driver side.

Now if you pull up the corner of your carpet on the drivers side by the taillights there is a plug with the green brown and yellow wires and with a ground wire coming from it as well (See Pic) I stripped back the wires, and soldered the LED wires to those. I then ran the orange wire along the back of the quarter, came through the back of the hinge and tapped into the orange wire the same way as I did the plug. Turned everything on and works PERFECT!!!! I did not use the coiled orange wire, cause I just tapped into the orange trunk light. (See Pic)

You can find that orange wire very easily it is encased in a thick plastic tubing running up the drivers side hinge to the trunk deck. Anyone can call me to clarify any install. My cell is 651-775-9260.

Now in the pick of the plug i tapped into you can see the ground source coming from that plug that I used for the LED ground.

HOPE THIS HELPS, LIKE I SAID FEEL FREE TO CALL IF YOU WANT ANYTHING CLARIFIED!!!!

I did leave stock bulbs in all the sockets, I just taped the glass part off so they wouldn't break and taped them out of the way.

Attachments

• TRUNK LIGHT HOOK- UP.jpg
    TRUNK LIGHT HOOK- UP.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 343
  • plug.jpg
    plug.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 347
I did leave stock bulbs in all the sockets, I just taped the glass part off so they wouldn't break and taped them out of the way.

That's the key. If you leave all the bulbs in. You don't need the flasher at all because the load hasn't changed. It does eliminate some of the new install hassles, but adds a bit more to do if one of your stock bulbs blows.

Good job on the install.

Yep... mine work flawlessly as well... that is until i turn the running lights on...

spoke w/ Spaghetti on Fri - all techs were already off due to the holiday. I will call them tomorrow and hopefully get to the bottom of this... I triple checked all wiring - all connections are made with solder, shrink tubing, weather pack connections and nylon conduit.... so pretty much everything is stock appearing and well connected. I used my fluke to verify voltage during all operations [turn, brake, running, hazard] All voltages are fine - [read as connections are good] so hopefully this is just a simple board reprogramming fix - or something easier - i will update when problem is solved.

PS i must say they do look bad ass :tongue:

Lol come on guys... track down a flasher instead of leaving the bulbs in place.

Just curious that you guys got the right location of the turn signal flashers, if you guys replaced with a led flasher it should flash with no problems unless the flasher pins are reversed (input/output) and must get a good ground. And all you need is a standard 2 pin led/no load flasher. V-led's sells them for like $16.

The flasher on the fuse box is for the hazzards, the turn signal flasher in located between the steering colum and the radio.

These are not designed to have the stock bulbs left in them! So there is a problem somewhere. (Tooch) has them wired up with out the stock bulbs in and his are working as they should be. I will bew making a call to spaghetti engineering tomarow myself to help remedy this issue.

Scot W.

These are not designed to have the stock bulbs left in them! So there is a problem somewhere. (Tooch) has them wired up with out the stock bulbs in and his are working as they should be. I will bew making a call to spaghetti engineering tomarow myself to help remedy this issue.

Scot W.

Actually, we are still waiting for confirmation that he (Tooch) tested all modes of operation before declaring success. With one success (maybe) and two failures (minor) - on the same point - I don't know if it would be prudent to declare anything.

In my install the turn signal flasher I changed out with the recommend from Spaghetti flasher was located under the dash to the right of the steering column (in a clip-in module). Like I said - and shown in my videos - the front lights and rear - always flash as they are supposed to. It's ONLY when the running lights are turned on that we (both Royal-T-Ltd & I) have a problem. I don't think this is a flasher module problem.

Actually, we are still waiting for confirmation that he (Tooch) tested all modes of operation before declaring success. With one success (maybe) and two failures (minor) - on the same point - I don't know if it would be prudent to declare anything.

In my install the turn signal flasher I changed out with the recommend from Spaghetti flasher was located under the dash to the right of the steering column (in a clip-in module). Like I said - and shown in my videos - the front lights and rear - always flash as they are supposed to. It's ONLY when the running lights are turned on that we (both Royal-T-Ltd & I) have a problem. I don't think this is a flasher module problem.
After speaking with (tooch) and after him sending both me & spaghetti his video. Mike (the owner of the company) has viewed it and told me & tooch that, "That is the correct way they should function". So I would say (tooch) has them 100% correct.

As to the LED's working great Without the running lights on and them Not working properly With the running lights on has got to be something simple somewhere.

We will figure this problem out even if I have to stay on the phone with them 8hrs a day untill its done.

I will be in contact with them tomarow and keep everyone posted

One thing that may be causing this to happen is here, Where the grounds are connected into the grounds of the side marker lights!! I'm just taking a guess here but this looks like it may have the possibility to cause a load issue when the lights are turned on. In this picture of the "wire diagram" it shows them to be connected. I personally took all the black wires and went to a known good solid ground.. Has everyone done it like in this diagram? If so, try it going to a good solid ground instead..

Just trying to help here...

After speaking with (tooch) and after him sending both me & spaghetti his video. Mike (the owner of the company) has viewed it and told me & tooch that, "That is the correct way they should function". So I would say (tooch) has them 100% correct.

As to the LED's working great Without the running lights on and them Not working properly With the running lights on has got to be something simple somewhere.

We will figure this problem out even if I have to stay on the phone with them 8hrs a day untill its done.

I will be in contact with them tomarow and keep everyone posted

One thing that may be causing this to happen is here, Where the grounds are connected into the grounds of the side marker lights!! I'm just taking a guess here but this looks like it may have the possibility to cause a load issue when the lights are turned on. In this picture of the "wire diagram" it shows them to be connected. I personally took all the black wires and went to a known good solid ground.. Has everyone done it like in this diagram? If so, try it going to a good solid ground instead..

Just trying to help here...

I cant speak for the rest of the guys but i connected all my grounds together [soldered and shrink tube wrapped] ran them through the factory hole [lower left behind bumper] and grounded at the factory location -where there is already a nice flat surface with a sheet metal screw and ground in place] My voltage is strong - they work perfect w/o lights.:confused: :confused: :confused:

And i have to agree - it would be plain retarded to have to run bulbs in to get the leds working properly.... thats what i would call a band aid fix [no offense]... i have NO doubt in my mind that the problem WILL be solved - just hope we can figure this one out before the PowerTour:tongue: - as turn signals are pretty important when traveling great distances:D

And i have to agree - it would be plain retarded to have to run bulbs in to get the leds working properly.... thats what i would call a band aid fix [no offense]... i have NO doubt in my mind that the problem WILL be solved - just hope we can figure this one out before the PowerTour:tongue: - as turn signals are pretty important when traveling great distances:D
I agree 100%! I'll be on the phone with them today. I will let you know asap what they say.

Scot W.

I've uploaded two videos.

The first is a video of the correct LED operation. In my case, I need to have one stock bulb in each side for it to work, but the video shows the way they work and look with tinted tails. I'll try to make another tonight to show how they look after sunset.

led correct operation.avi - 4.55MB

The second video illustrates my specific problem of how the boards do not function correctly without the stock bulbs installed.

incorrect operation.avi - 12.76MB

The testing sequence is:

No running lights
left turn
right turn

No running lights + brakes applied
left turn
right turn

Running lights on (as if passing at night on the highway)
left turn
right turn

Running lights on + brakes applied (as if waiting to make a turn at a light at night)
Left turn
Right turn
I will have a GN here this week to install a set of LED's and Spaghetti engineering will also be doing an install to remedy this problem.

If anyone has any questions please feel free to call us at:
My phone number: (865) 680-4008
Spaghetti eng. : 1-888-867-9309

Thank you!
Scot w.

Back from vacation and I was just reading up on the posts here. I have my sets completely installed and working as they should. You MUST have the no-load flasher with the ground wire for this system to work. I DO NOT have the stock blinker bulbs in place at all. I DO have the small stock bulbs there, just for clarification.

I think that we need to clarify that this first issue of LED boards that we have all received have a program built into them that will make the inside board of the taillight go to a steady blink (on/off with NO cascade) while the outside board CASCADES. This will happen when and ONLY when the RUNNING lights are ON!

When the running lights are OFF, the inside board will stay unlit while the outside board CASCADES. There is NO intermittent cascading at all on my boards and that sounds like an issue to me.

I admit, when I first installed these I didn't really like the inside board blinking at all but after stepping back and looking at it I kind of DO LIKE it now and that is why I completed the install.

Scot, has posted on here that Spaghetti will change the boards for you to a setup that doesn't have the inside board blinking, but for me I like them just they way they are. He even states that there is no cost to you for sending them back, so you can always go that route.

Victory, your operation seems to be the same as mine except that mine cascade regulary and yours seem to go intermittent or not at all sometimes. This issue is all with the runnings lights ON, just like mine.

I'll try and check on here as often as I can so I can help. Good Luck.