Do I need dual springs??

eastwoodad

I have a N/A V6 using a hydraulic cam with the following specs:

.494 in, .506 ex.
282 in, 292 ex. (adv.)
226 in, 232 ex. (@.050)

This cam is a Kenne Bell grind and unfortunately they are no longer doing the Buick thing and I don't have an old catalog that recommends a spring. As I recall they called for a dual valve spring. Do you guys thing I could get away with a single spring? Whether single or dual, what do you recommend?

Thanks,

Aaron

i have a 204/204 kb cam in one of my motors-it utilizes a 104 lb spring-i see no problem why you couldnt put some 100 lb springs in there-i have a couple of brand new set of 100lbers that came on my new gn-1s if you need them.

I have a N/A V6 using a hydraulic cam with the following specs:

.494 in, .506 ex.
282 in, 292 ex. (adv.)
226 in, 232 ex. (@.050)

This cam is a Kenne Bell grind and unfortunately they are no longer doing the Buick thing and I don't have an old catalog that recommends a spring. As I recall they called for a dual valve spring. Do you guys thing I could get away with a single spring? Whether single or dual, what do you recommend?

Thanks,

Aaron
I wouldnt run more than 110lbs closed spring pressure after a break in. I would start it with some stock weak springs for piece of mind. Your pretty much limited to 110lbs at 1.75in to avoid lobe failure. I wouldnt risk more than that myself after i broke it in with stock weak springs. There are a lotof single springs with dampers out there that will cover your needs.

I don't know if it makes much difference, but this engine will be seeing 6000-6200 shifts and will eventually have a 150 hit of N20 (though shift points with spray will probably be a little lower).

Would this make a difference?

Thanks,
Aaron

Nope but i would want a roller in it if it was me. Thats a lot of spray for one of these. You will need a GTQ and a really free flowing exhaust with it as well as a really big external wastegate.

This is acutally an N/A build. Thats the only reason I think I will be able to get away with a hit like that. I may even put a progressive controller in and breathe a little more into it :biggrin:

Thanks,
Aaron

This is acutally an N/A build. Thats the only reason I think I will be able to get away with a hit like that. I may even put a progressive controller in and breathe a little more into it :biggrin:

Thanks,
Aaron
Id be running a solid lfter cam with it for sure. Much lighter than a hydraulic requiring less spring.