Door window questions

87gninpa

Did some searching and got a lot of good info, but still have a couple of unanswered questions:

1 - Put new Delco motors in both doors last year and they work great, but the driver side window falls for a second when being lowered then smooths out. Going up is fine. Mots info points to the motor causing this, but they are brand new and it is the same problem as before with the old motors. What else would cause this?

2 - Window are pretty tight with the top guides adjusted, but the felt is very worn on them. I know Kirban/GBody include this felt in their anti-rattle kits, but Id rather not buy the whole kit as I dont need anything else in the kits. Has anyone found a similar felt material that would work well on the guides?

Did you remove the glass when you replaced the motor. I usually pull the whole thing out. Anyway I had a window that use to drop and I found it was the whole window bracket was loose. Everything is suppose to ride along the big gear when the window is operating. If it comes off the gear it will slip. How much did you take apart when you changed the motor out? On a power window the motor controls how fast the window comes down. On a manual window there is a coil on the actuator. Either the actuator is loose/bent or the motor is taking a crap. I've only used AcDelco motors.

I used Delco motors when I replaced them. I didnt remove the glass, just removed the three bolts, held the window up with vise grips, and placed the new motors in. Im planning on taking the panels off and looking in there to see whats causing it. Hopefully the bracket is loose and can be tightened because Im sure the motors are good, especially since the window acted the exact same way before the motor replacement.

You can buy the felt from most any company that sells window tint. Suntek and 3M come to mind right away. A local tint shop would probably sell you some, too.

Thats good to hear, thanks TurboTGuy. I was thinking of using the loop side of some heavy duty Velcro, it seems to be almost the same material and have a bunch of it lying around.

If the bracket is loose you have to replace it. The main bracket kind of works like scissors if the middle pin is loose it needs to be replaced. Check all the guides and stops for the window make sure they are tight. Put some grease on the tracks and on the gear teeth too.

That makes sense. So there's no way to repair the center pin on the regulator, it must be replaced? Ill take the door apart and see what it looks like, lube everything up etc. Ill probably have a much better idea of what it needs after I actually look at it again.

Thats good to hear, thanks TurboTGuy. I was thinking of using the loop side of some heavy duty Velcro, it seems to be almost the same material and have a bunch of it lying around.
If your windows are tinted the velcro loops will scratch the tint for sure, might even scratch the glass. That's some pretty tough plastic those little loops are made of.