DS Optinal Data Recording

Donald McMullin

From the DS files posted, I have noticed two of the files (by TurboDave and Bruce) include "Optional Data". I am still trying to figure out what addtional items to log on my DS.

Would anyone be willing to enlighten me (and other board members) as to what some of the optional logs are and why you have included them in your records?

Input by those in the "know" would be appreciated.

Donald McMullin

Originally posted by Donald McMullin
From the DS files posted, I have noticed two of the files (by TurboDave and Bruce) include "Optional Data". I am still trying to figure out what addtional items to log on my DS.

Would anyone be willing to enlighten me (and other board members) as to what some of the optional logs are and why you have included them in your records?

Input by those in the "know" would be appreciated.

Donald McMullin

If you go to Chuengineering.com and read pages 31 to 34 of the owner manual, it will give you the basics.
You have to generate a .ini file and then use DS.exe -u when you want to data log the extra info..

I have read the DS instructions, just do not understand what is being recorded by 4D, AA, AB and so on.

I have reviewed your DS file that you posted and do not know what I am seeing. For example when your MAF peaks, AA reads 9F. What is that telling you.

I appreciate you responding to this question. I am trying to learn.

Is there a way to record when the brake is on or not? This way I can record when I lauch and look at rpm (concerter flash) and have a better starting point of my 1/4 mile time.

Deep Enough

Donald McMullin

Those letters/numbers are Hex addresses of memory locations that the "extra" data points can be accessed.

The unfortunate thing is, you have to have a complete list of those various locations, know how many bytes are involved and whether you need to veiw it in decimal or hex, and besides all that, realizing that whatever data point you choose won't display if it's something already being displayed be DS (even if you don't like it's format) ;)

Ignore 4D, it's only useful for engineering purposes when the Translator genius was trying to "fix" a post burnout stall problem I had. He used it for reading a special patch he designed for me.

If memory serves I use B0(bee zero) to read the raw maf data that is actually coming from the maf. It's what the ECM sees, and then converts to human readable form.

If you go to gnttype.org and look in the chips/eprom section, there is a link called "chip secrets revealed". This should head you in the right direction as far as how the memory locations are defined.

Regards,
Eric