You can type here any text you want

Ductile Roller cam: cam button question

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

fatride

can you use a spring loaded cam button for a Ductile Roller cam? I seen this button and not sure if it will work? CLOYES Part # 95189 if so is it just drop in and go? Or do you still need to measure clearance?
Thanks

I asked this same question when my motor was going together, and the answer was theoretically yes, BUT how will you know if the spring is stiff enough to keep the cam from moving forward?? Only way I know is to try it and I'm not taking the chance when it's real easy to run the sold button with shims.

can you use a spring loaded cam button for a Ductile Roller cam? I seen this button and not sure if it will work? CLOYES Part # 95189 if so is it just drop in and go? Or do you still need to measure clearance?
Thanks

In a similar thread, I stated we have built MANY roller engines with ductile cams using a roller button, and there is no need to measure clearances. :)

Not sure of the Cloyes part, but TA Performance has the one we use, and it may be similar?

In a similar thread, I stated we have built MANY roller engines with ductile cams using a roller button, and there is no need to measure clearances. :)

Not sure of the Cloyes part, but TA Performance has the one we use, and it may be similar?

Nick, is this the one you use? Product ID: TA_ROL150A
Thanks

I built one that way and had a couple customers do it. All three the cam moved forward enough to have the lifter catch the edge of the next lobe. I engine was saved, two were destroyed. It is not hard to measue it, for me it not worth the potential meltdown
Mike

I built one that way and had a couple customers do it. All three the cam moved forward enough to have the lifter catch the edge of the next lobe. I engine was saved, two were destroyed. It is not hard to measue it, for me it not worth the potential meltdown
Mike

On the very first batch of ductile roller cams that Comp released, there was a problem with the lobes being too wide. Comp modeled the Buick roller cam after the GM roller cam as it had the wider lobes.

I actually had to remove the cam, and Comp replaced it.

Like I stated, we have done many since with the roller button, and never have had an issue.

Of course, like in all cam installs in Buick V-6 engines, this is one additional item that is checked. :)

My bad!

Nick, I never thought I'd hear that out of your mouth.

You are right! :o

I used the wrong word? :eek:

As I said above, you should check cam lobe-to-lifter "clearance". it is easy to see if there is an interference problem. :)

Mike

Mike, the 210-215 roller you sell I think is called an Austemper Cam?? & all I used was the spring-button setup. Are they different cams than the Ductile roller? Mine is fine after 2 years.

nope that's a ductile cam and I know other guys who never had a problem but I just had a guy a month or so ago who killed a motor so it really had nothing to with old or new as the old "wide" cams were from many years ago. ATR used to use a spring button with some of their early billet rollers, some had problems, some did not. YMMV but the correct cam buton is not an expensive or tough to install part, not sure why you would want to risk a motor using the wrong part for the job?
Mike

Cam, lifers (your choice Comp or Morel, Morel is less), Springs, locks, retainers, and pushrods. We can send you the "normal" pushrod or we can sell you the measuring tool so you can measure and we will then help you pick the right one and send those.
Mike

nope that's a ductile cam and I know other guys who never had a problem but I just had a guy a month or so ago who killed a motor so it really had nothing to with old or new as the old "wide" cams were from many years ago. ATR used to use a spring button with some of their early billet rollers, some had problems, some did not. YMMV but the correct cam buton is not an expensive or tough to install part, not sure why you would want to risk a motor using the wrong part for the job?
Mike

Mike, I always ASSumed that your cams just used the roller button as I have never been told otherwise & I know some guys that use it & some dont. I never questioned why until now as I always ASSumed yours didnt need it & they were doing overkill? The motor comes out usually every year (so I have something to do in the winter up here) I guess I need to order the shim setup next time. Do you have them or do I need to call DLS for that setup?
Cheers!
David

Hi Mike,

I already have your cam and we were talking about thrust buttons and I was asking what you included in the kit(i don't have it with me) but I looked it up :

"DLS adjustable cam stop for proper preload adjustment"

So I should be good!!! :D

I have some other questions I'll have to e-mail you..

Back