E85 Great For The Enviroment

No need to build anything specifically for E85. It's a simple tune. The stuff is great!

the diesel is in the combines used to grow the corn. also the trucks for transport and coal or other fuels to power trains to transport it. none of these other items run off of ethanol itself.

I live 10 miles from a E-85 refinery and there is only 1 station within 20 miles that sells it! That makes absolutely no sense to me. That is the main reason I went with alcohol injection instead of E-85. I would have rather went with E-85 for the ease of use but filling up is a nightmare around here let alone going on the power tour! I know the turbo farm west guys have to base their route off of the fill stations! Once it is more available I will probably switch over!

the diesel is in the combines used to grow the corn. also the trucks for transport and coal or other fuels to power trains to transport it. none of these other items run off of ethanol itself.
and i'm sure the oil drilling rigs, oil refineries, and the trains and trucks that transport petro fuels are powered by nitrogen......

the E85/93+alky debate has, and will go on forever....people that run it, love it. people that run 93+alky, love it, and dont want to change. And then there are the people who simply can't get E85.....so they don't have the choice. Like stated above, there is no perfect fuel.

I run E85 in both of my Buicks...one hot air, and the other intercooled...and I love it....I also have 6 stations within a 5 mile radius from my house that carry E85. I ran E85 on the 2012 Power Tour as well...Long Hauled it too....couldn't run it the entire tour, since it went into the southern states like OK and TX....(who sell oil, and are anti-ethanol)...so with a swap of the chip, and an adjustment of the boost controller....I switched to 93 and kept going....car ran fine.....exhaust stunk to high hell....but it ran fine.

BTW....its 32* outside today...and 40* in my garage....and my hot air car started with just the key through the window just fine...on E85....idled great and smells good too!! Oh, and i'm running 22+ psi on a HOT AIR car with E85.....;)

and i'm sure the oil drilling rigs, oil refineries, and the trains and trucks that transport petro fuels are powered by nitrogen......

no need to debate about this here, but oil drilling rigs do use diesel yes - and they net more oil for more diesel, oil refineries generally use natural gas and fuel from the oil that they are processing - so no net incremental "diesel" or expensive fuels to run, trains use coal and other heavier fuels (cheaper than ethanol or diesel and other transportation fuels), trucks use diesel or natural gas to transport diesel and gasoline - they only do this from the end of a pipe to the end customers so it only costs a bit more than the main pipeline costs ..

An interesting nuance is that ethanol can't be transported like any other fuel, it collects water, so basically it's the most expensive fuel to transport. It can't be piped and only be railed or trucked. let alone needing diesel for the production aspect of it. The only thing keeping ethanol from bankruptcy - woops - those companies go bankrupt all the time, are govt. subsidies and blending mandates- yes this goes for many other businesses - but ethanol is one of the farthest from profitability without subsidies.. Heck, ethanol producers are even scamming selling renewable fuels credits that they claim to have made, but really haven't! They collect the money from people that need the credits, the goverment won't back them, and then they go belly up and all are screwed.

What does this have to do with being green? well, it uses more petroleum based fuels than gasoline or diesel to get the gallon into your tank. Otherwise, companies really would shut down and shift everything to it. That's all from this end.

After reading that....I'm gonna switch to diesel in my Buick....it's best for the government and the economy...plus the black smoke is the coolest. :rolleyes:

After reading that....I'm gonna switch to diesel in my Buick....it's best for the government and the economy...plus the black smoke is the coolest. :rolleyes:

copycat. Why don't you do something original instead of following the herd?

:)

I hate e85. I'm 40 vehicles behind at work right now because all the farmers are actually turning a profit and having to buy new trucks to hide it all. All I get done is accessorizing new trucks all day and I can't touch the trade ins. I bet GM and Dodge hate being so busy also. And those poor oil execs are gonna go broke. :(

Yep, screw E85. Why would anyone want a renewable race gas at economy dirty fuel price. No sense in making farmers profitable, we defiantely need to make oil execs richer to keep our economy going. It would be horrible to run cleaner fuel, we definately need to run oil based fuel and buy kits to pump alchohol into our engines in order to keep them together. Where is the "slap in the face" smiley?

for the record, I have nothing against e85. Just don't agree with the argument that it's green one bit.

I will wholeheartedly agree that the original intent of this post was how "green" it is, and it's not as "green" as it sounds on the surface. BUT I can tell you firsthand that the overall demand for corn (not entirely E85s doing) is showing up out here in the sticks in terms of a local economy boost.

I worked with that guy that built that diesel GN (cutlass) and it's my favorite GN (or clone is should say) of all time. Defiantely an AWESOME project that he nailed......love that car, wish I could have it.

OH and I forgot, putting 10% of it in regular fuel is BULLSH!T. Kills the gas mileage in my GN.

for the record, I have nothing against e85. Just don't agree with the argument that it's green one bit.
Yup...couldn't agree more....E85 sucks nuts....how dare we use a fuel that 70% of it can be grown every year....that's TOTALLY NOT GREEN!!

We are really just busting your chops, no pun intended. Just having a little fun with it. Us guys that have been playing with E85 for many years have seen such a massively HUGE benefit with this fuel. I fought tooth and nail a long time ago to get an E85 section and nobody, I mean NOBODY, wanted to give in and look past alky kits. Nothing against Julio becuase he has been a HUGE benefit to our hobby but this fuel is simple and easy and it works GREAT!!!! I've run a car with a single Reds XP and a PT51 turbo all the way up to 32psi with no knock and then I had to stop becuase I didnt want to risk blowing that particular car up. I've mixed with different ratios and smaller injectors before Eric burned chips for it and still had literally no knock running 22+ psi with a gas chip. We have set up a 24 hour a day running test depot to see how the fuel reacted with different metals/rubbers/temps and mixes with gas. This stuff is fantastic and with the expception of the black goop we had in certain areas becuase of additives, we have had no problems at all even with simple set ups. The black goop was a problem and we all finally narrowed it down to certain regions in the country and found that we believe it was from an additive in those particular regions. This simply washes away by running a few gallons of straight gas in the car. I havent seen any problems with this in the past few years though, I think they changed the mix to solve this problem. All and all E85 is an awesome fuel and can be run with any fuel system depending on the goals of the users.

E85 is NOT green.....it takes so much to deliver it that we should ALL boycott it....just sayin....

I would say the test with the fuel soaked sticks burned under the jars does not representative how each fuels burns. The ethanol would always pass this in an oxygen starved condition as it has oxygenation properties.

If someone could come up with a way to produce it cheaper, I guarantee e85 would be found in every town that has a pump. We've had this discussion at work. The company I work for has a hand in everything and to my knowledge will not get fully involved in producing ethonal because of the simple fact it is not a money maker, and we all know what happens when stuff doesn't make money.