You can type here any text you want

Electric Water Pump for stage motor???

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

NOT FAST

Just wondering if there is an electric water pump available for a stage motor? if not what kind of water pump are you guys running to keep your stage motor car cool on the street.

NOT FAST said:
Just wondering if there is an electric water pump available for a stage motor? if not what kind of water pump are you guys running to keep your stage motor car cool on the street.
Meziere makes one for buick motors,I run one and its fine on the street,and fantastic for coo l down at the track

pumps

I have had one for 7 years, still good but it hasnt been used on the street very much, best i remember i paid like 350.00 for it, good luck oc :)

electric water pump for stage 2

Hey Guy's,
I've ran a mezeri electric on my stage 2 for 2 years now and often have to turn it off just to get some heat in the engine before a run. Great piece!

Just curious if anybody had pictures of belt routing with electric water pumps and pulley set up's. Thanks,

Steve

............if not what kind of water pump are you guys running to keep your stage motor car cool on the street.

Probably the best water pump you are going to find for a Buick V-6 is the new high-flow unit from TA performance. :)

This has been tested by Kenny D. on dyno runs with excellent results.

I recently installed one on my race car, and cool down after a run is much quicker.

No electric pump will flow as much water as this direct replacement mechanical TA pump at RPM. :biggrin:

How long has that pump been available? I tried buying one last year and they were not available yet.

No electric pump will flow as much water as this direct replacement mechanical TA pump at RPM. :biggrin:

Common misconception with these types of pumps, more flow = better.... Water will only flow as well as the thermostat alows. If the flow is to fast, no heat transfer would ever happen. Think about it, How long are you at WOT in the 1/4 ? Most of the cooling would prabably be on the return road anyway. What RPM are you turning in the pits and in the return road? Real gains would be in flow at low rpm were stock pumps are not up to par.

Mezzerie pumps work great for long duration street driving and all out performance. They move just the right amount of water for maximum heat transfer.

Not suggesting that the above pump in the link is not good. Just don't believe the higher flow at high RPM is the real issue.

Allan G.

I really do not buy "They move just the right amount of water for maximum heat transfer", at least in our turbo engines?

The electric pump runs at one speed for all situations. The mechanical pump WILL flow more water as the RPM increases. I have never encountered "flow too fast that no heat transfer takes place" in any street or strip application with any Buick?

We run our street cars here in the summer w/o a t'stat, and they ALWAYS run cooler.

You are correct in that most of the cooling takes place on the return road, especially as most race cars do not use a thermostat. But since the engine driven pump flows more at RPM, the coolant temp peaks lower than with the electric pump.

Let me also state that the TA pump is a completely redesigned pump casting and is specially machined for the also new pump impeller. So this pump is completely different than stock units, even though it is a direct replacement.

In my case, I can state, and my logs will show cooler temp at the end of a run since I installed the new TA pump, as well a quicker cool down by the time I return to the pit.

But the extra flow at high RPM has shown to be a benefit to added HP as was demonstrated when Kenny D. tried the TA pump on his engine dyno. The additional water flow in the heads, especially around the exhaust valves, showed a slight increase in HP.

One advantage an electric pump does have in a race car is that it can run in the pit for additional cool down if needed.

I do have to admit my experience with electric pumps is limited, and I am not a fan of them also due to reliability issues. Seen many racers have their event ruined with an electric pump failure. :(

I do want to make a final comment, I limit my tech posts and comments to actual experience with my car or others where I am personally involved, so it is not fiction or guessing. If it is my opinion, I will state that up front. The TA parts on my car I purchase, so there is no underlying payback for my public endorsement of their product. They do their best to put out a good product, and it shows in their track record. :)

nick,

after reading the description on TA's site, dont you think that it sounds a bit weird that the test car ran at 230 deg. until this pump? Not to discredit TA's new pump, but i have never seen a TR idle at 230 unless there was a major malfunction . the only time i have seen temps that high is when i forgot to put my electric pumps fuse in.

nick,

after reading the description on TA's site, dont you think that it sounds a bit weird that the test car ran at 230 deg. until this pump? Not to discredit TA's new pump, but i have never seen a TR idle at 230 unless there was a major malfunction . the only time i have seen temps that high is when i forgot to put my electric pumps fuse in.

Who's to say the test car was a TR? This pump also fits 350 Buicks. Maybe they tested it without turning on the electric fans to see what the pumps would do/could do. Not sure, I wasn't there. Hard to say because the TA blurb is not very descriptive, but it is not a magazine tech article so I am sure they cut it short.

Who's to say the test car was a TR? This pump also fits 350 Buicks. Maybe they tested it without turning on the electric fans to see what the pumps would do/could do. Not sure, I wasn't there. Hard to say because the TA blurb is not very descriptive, but it is not a magazine tech article so I am sure they cut it short.

have you been drinking? Who would test a water pump by disconnecting the fan?

Is 230 deg. a normal idle temp for a buick 350?

please post with relevance in the future.

I really do not buy "They move just the right amount of water for maximum heat transfer", at least in our turbo engines?
. :)

Based on my experience, this is the case. With a Street driven stage 2, front mount, A/C condensor, and normal radiator, I could maintain less than 180 degrees at all weather conditions. Something I never achieved with a mechanical pump. This is no special case and no smoke and mirror tricks.

We run our street cars here in the summer w/o a t'stat, and they ALWAYS run cooler.

This statement says it all. I never hear about success stories with the T-stat removed in a street car unless something is drastically wrong. But then again, this may be due to the limitations of a stock mechanical pump. Whatever the case, I stand by my statement that a electric pump is reliable and flows more than enough water to properly cool out turbo engines. As far as reliability goes, going on 8+ years with mine with no issues.
Allan G.

Back