Engine Failure

I started hitting the brakes at the roughly the 1000 ft mark after my first warning, so the day I ran 6.98 in the 1/8th may have squeaked out a 10.99 if I ran it out, who knows. When I get back to track, I will have to pick a day to try see what I can do. I run 255/60s so the track has to be prepped well and the launch just right.

You inspired me to push my 5875 a little harder
I have got One 11.51 @117.8 and 6 passes 11.55 it went 118.4 once but my 60 foot is so crappie .1.70 best 60.
What dose your time slips look like?

IMG_0153.JPG
IMG_0156.JPG

The TTA needed 32psi to do it, but she squeaked it out.
The TTA a times are impressive, I remember seeing the post, I think it was a stock long block car with a PTC 9.5 NL, and the 5858. I don't remember any other details. This is a little of a belated reply, been busy.

Finally made it to the dragstrip.
I had hoped for better, but had some difficulty hooking up. Spun a little, but thankfully did not blow the tires off.
27psig, roughly 2 psi less than my previous best runs before the destruction.
It was the last street night at LVD for the year, so I may have rushed a little bit. Did not quite have the tune on, tickled the knock sensor. No more than 0.8 retard, but still not smart.
Ran an 11.4 @ 118, 1.8xx 60 ft with some wheel spin on 255/60 -15s.
Pleased with the rebuild so far, nothing extravagant in the build, still cost some coin and a bunch of time to get back together.
Husek trans performed flawlessly.
The PTC converter performance is hard to believe, others may disagree, but I like the way it performs.
I launched with the selector in second to get full line pressure.
On the line, I came up to 4600 and 20 psig, let off the brake.
Thing accelerates, shifted 1-2 at 5200 and 35 mph, dropped to 4750 on the shift.
Probably should have bumped to drive sooner(shit happens fast). 2-3 shift was at 5300, hit 72 mph in second. Dropped to 4700.
Trapped at 5400 rpm @ 118 mph in drive.
Next time I can make it, I am hoping to run a couple more psi of boost, and hoping to hook better. I have to tone it down a little on the line.
I think Bison steered me right on the converter selection, it is an “all in” converter for a small turbo, now I just have to be able to get the 5858 all in.

Nice!

Work that 60' time, every 10'th is worth 2 10'ths at the top end..

Or so I'm told..... :cool: ( It works....)

Last edited:
Nice job again With your inspiration I got my 5857 times better

Attachments

• 3C7C9845-2683-45B1-8AEC-1A34863FC29B.jpeg
    3C7C9845-2683-45B1-8AEC-1A34863FC29B.jpeg
    524.9 KB · Views: 41
Nice job again With your inspiration I got my 5857 times better
We're making pretty close to the same horse power, just need a little more on the 60. Like TurboTGuy mentions 1/10 on the front end can net 2/10 on the big end. I'm learning the PTC, with the 255/60s the launch is tough(no plans to bigger on the tires at this point, but that would help). A couple lbs of boost, dial it in, and a perfect launch, a 10.99 is possible. I'm not sure if I will get back to the track this year, I am gonna try. I also got to get up there when they are not so tight on the rules, two years ago on the last day they were not busting balls about the 11.5 rules, so that may be an opportunity.

Are you heading back to the track soon?

I had hoped for better, but had some difficulty hooking up. Spun a little, but thankfully did not blow the tires off.
It was the last street night at LVD for the year, so I may have rushed a little bit. Did not quite have the tune on, tickled the knock sensor. No more than 0.8 retard, but still not smart.
Pleased with the rebuild so far, nothing extravagant in the build, still cost some coin and a bunch of time to get back together.
The PTC converter performance is hard to believe, others may disagree, but I like the way it performs.
Thing accelerates, shifted 1-2 at 5200 and 35 mph, dropped to 4750 on the shift.
Probably should have bumped to drive sooner(shit happens fast). 2-3 shift was at 5300, hit 72 mph in second. Dropped to 4700.
Next time I can make it, I am hoping to run a couple more psi of boost, and hoping to hook better. I have to tone it down a little on the line.
I think Bison steered me right on the converter selection, it is an “all in” converter for a small turbo, now I just have to be able to get the 5858 all in.
so the car went around the same mph with a softer 60ft and a slight loss in et?different converters appy the power differently.look the smaller turbos really need to hammer through the 330ft to really shine on a heavy car.im not sure how heavy the car is def think you should weight it.im going to offer you this as well,i think you should leave the boost alone and focus everything before the 330.i have seen many of these cars go much quicker (10.9-11.1)range on 118mph.the cars had 1.4 60fts and iv seen it done on 9 inch and 10 inch converters both lock up and non lockers,so im not surprised yours didnt go better than it did with the other converter.only saying this because i read your driving and tuning strategy for going further.also running the cars on the glue at the racetrack and putting the hook to them is really where the fun is

I hear ya. My car has stock suspension with air bags. I try to get a handle on the track and launch appropriately. I have a couple of basic knobs to play with on 60 ft. Even with the previous converter, which was a good piece, I had to get it just right considering my set up. Last Wednesday was my first time back to the track in 2 years. I don't expect a huge difference from my last setup, because I am running the same heads, cam, and turbo. I like the fact that I can keep the RPMs much lower, since I have a low RPM combination on top of the fact I am funning TA stock style rockers. I am just having fun, but certainly agree that your advice is solid.

The funny thing is with those converters they seem to continually keep the engine in the power band as you make more power. Heads would push flash up to 5000+. Probably just what it would need. Usually 28” drag radial and they will run the numbers easily. I was dialing in a car today and I can flat foot from a 3600/5psi street asphalt hit without wasting the tires. On prepped concrete it would take 8-10psi and 3900-4100rpm. For a heavy car it’s a monster. It’s a 17-0’and flashed to 5300-5400 just now when I took it out. Those converters are seriously game changing if you’re making the power and don’t have other problems. Other converters can run ok but these things just get it done everywhere. Car is easier to stage and it just works so well at keeping the engine in the power band

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The converter is an impressive piece of equipment. It will take a little seat time to get the launch. I have read your converter posts and looked at data others have shared, and the converter works as advertised. The part I find most impressive is how far it will come up on the foot break(this is where I over did it), how it flashes, but then within 200-300rpm it is coupling up very tight. I really like the combination and I am having a lot of fun with it, I think all of the pieces are well matched. My only dilemma is safety equipment, so I can go to the track and not get bothered for breaking 11.5.

I don’t like getting my chops bashed about the 11.5 rule too ,but fun driving to the track and laying down a good number.
And we’re doing it with a small Turbo
Do you have a logger?

I don’t like getting my chops bashed about the 11.5 rule too ,but fun driving to the track and laying down a good number.
And we’re doing it with a small Turbo
Do you have a logger?
Yes, I got a PL.

There it is in your signature should have noticed.
Just curious about your log how it pulls much harder than me in the 1/8 than me.
Can you post it up.
Could be the shorter tire?
And just airbags out back good 60 ,I could not get there tell the Hellwig bar.