Engine knocking after burn out

Let me clarify... it will spin as long as I keep my finger on it and spin it. When I spin it and take my finger off, it spins a half a turn and stops. It doesn’t continue to spin. Can I start the car with the MAF hose of and see if the turbo moves? I appreciate all the feedback.

Let me clarify... it will spin as long as I keep my finger on it and spin it. When I spin it and take my finger off, it spins a half a turn and stops. It doesn’t continue to spin. Can I start the car with the MAF hose of and see if the turbo moves? I appreciate all the feedback.

technically you can but the car will run like crap because of the lack of air thru the MAF. You would probably start the car first and then remove the hose to observe the blades. Have you started the car and tried to figure out if it was coming from a valve cover area?

It sounds like it’s coming from the bottom, but really hard to tell, can I take the turbo off and look at the other side and see if the shaft is broke, or would you start with valve covers ?

These guys are messing with you. It’s not the turbo.

Sounds pretty serious. First pull the valve covers and check the valve train. Could have a broken rocker shaft but you would be lucky if that’s the problem. It sounds like the crank is broke.
Jump under the car and pull the inspection cover. Clamp a set of vice grips on the flywheel and pull it back a forth. Watch the crank pulley. If the flywheel moves back and forth a little and the flywheel does not, your crank is in 2 pieces.

That motor needs to come out. That is definitely bottom end. I would stop trying to start this car all the time, you can be eff'ing that crank up more by doing so. And just food for thought. When you have this engine rebuilt, you still need to know why this happened.... over boosted?? bad fuel system?? etc. Continue to post your findings along the way for some added help. It's going to get worse before it gets better, but keep your head up and be engaged in the process. You will learn a lot by this. Good luck.

I agree with what ttypewhite and others have said.
I would not start that engine again without having a mechanical oil pressure gauge on it. To me, it definitely sounds like bottom end damage is what's going on. Remember this, if it is in fact failed crank bearings (which I suspect after your initial report of knocking after a burnout) every time you start it up from this point on, bearing debris is being sent throughout your oil system. This will lead to turbo failure and cam failure. Any reputable Turbo Buick mechanic will mandate putting a mechanical oil pressure gauge on it to verify oil pressure. That is the tell all as to what is really going on. That noise sounds too deep to be valve train to me. My best advice I can give you is, don't start it again without putting an oil pressure gauge on it. Trust me, without knowing what oil pressure is, you are doing serious damage to that engine, that will result in a very costly rebuild.

-Patrick-

This is a pretty good example of how to kill an engine. Beat on it without knowing anything. I'm betting this is car has been beat to death without proper maintenance then sold to someone that thinks it's a sbc.
Check the oil, check the oil pressure, check the rocker arms then check your wallet.

If after the burnout , he heard that same noise in the video and the car made it home on it's own power, I doubt that the crank is broken. I don't think that the OP mentioned that if the car was driven home or not.

I bought this car about two months ago I have always wanted a GN the car has around 100,000 miles on it, body in great condition seemed to be a good deal, just a little history, when I done the burnout I drove the car about two miles tp my house then it started knocking about a quarter of a mile from my house and then I parked it, I did check the turbo seems all good I pulled the cover off the torque converter all seems good, and I pulled one side of the valve covers off it was good I’ll get the other off tomorrow and check it , really starting to sound like bearings, can you just billed the bottom half or would it be better just to pull and rebuild? Guys I really appreciate all your guys advice!!!! Im no mechanic so probably going have to take to someone.

Yep, its done. Going through one of these cars is a daunting task compared to a carbed sbc. Farm out the work to someone recommended here, or start reading a lot. Its a little pricey as mentioned, but worth it.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
No need to pull the other valve cover. Just drain your oil would be all the evidence you would need to see. Betcha it's a gold rush... Do a once over of the engine, my guess is that one of your vacuum lines blew off and it over boosted. Look for any vacuum source coming off of the intake. That would be any rubber vacuum line coming off of the top of the throttlebody.

My money is on a bottom end bearing. The engine might have over rev'd during the burn out, and took out/spun a bearing.

The sooner the engine is rebuild, the less expensive it will be and the sooner the car will be back on the road. Good luck.

Alright Chuck just because the bulldogs got it handed to them last weekend ! Don’t mean you have to take out on me, the is oil coming out tonight !!!!!!

Drop the pan too while you're under the car

You need to clean out a the timing teeth and get a new pickup anyways

I'm betting this is car has been beat to death without proper maintenance then sold to someone that thinks it's a sbc.

Judging my that fancy oil filter and radiator hoses on the uppipe, I tend to agree with you.

Take my bottom for example
19910f11987577a5c7072f35f81a89e9.jpg
bf2f94189de80fa383497128534e6ab2.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk