Failed 3 bar map sensor / my upgrade

quadzila

I had my 3 bar map sensor fail at the track last week. Luckily Otto diagnosed it immediately and had a spare for me to keep running. When I got home I wanted to see what failed and cracked open the map sensor and you see the bonding agent failed and the little electronic chip blew off causing the failure.

My modifyication to prevent the map sensor from blowing out again was simple. I drilled 2 holes in the case that houses the electronic chip and filled the cavity completely with 2.5 oz of 90minute epoxy.

Attachments

• map1.jpg
    map1.jpg
    977.2 KB · Views: 252
  • map2.jpg
    map2.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 205
  • map3.jpg
    map3.jpg
    580.7 KB · Views: 245
  • map4.jpg
    map4.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 254
  • map6.jpg
    map6.jpg
    617.9 KB · Views: 229
  • map7.jpg
    map7.jpg
    871.5 KB · Views: 262
  • map5.jpg
    map5.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 232
let us know how it works out. The AEM/SSI sensors are cheap insurance when you consider what can happen when the MAP sensor fails

AEM 3.5 bar here. Never go back. Steel case no plastic except the plug itself.. Recommended by Bison and Bob.
I log alot and have never had another issue.
Seems like a Flaw in the adhesive used ?

I agree with the adhesive failing. That little tiny chip's perimeter being held in with 1 mm or less of adhesive is scary. I believe that I have a good shot at reducing the probability of a mechanical failure, but as far as the electronics failing i have no idea what to expect. Please post any info on failed map sensors.

I didn't fix the failed one in the pics that one is in the garbage. After testing the one Otto gave me was working properly I modified that one.

each line = .5mm

Attachments

• map sensor back.jpg
    map sensor back.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 140
  • map sensor.jpg
    map sensor.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 129
Last edited:
AEM 3.5 bar here. Never go back. Steel case no plastic except the plug itself.. Recommended by Bison and Bob.
I log alot and have never had another issue.
Seems like a Flaw in the adhesive used ?

Is that the one Bison sells? Round one?

518647716.jpg
I had 3 bars not completely fail but had them go uncalibrated. Which could be a leak in adhesive? Who knows.
But they are supposed to be 5vdc= 35psi. and i was getting much lower readings on my powerlogger @ 30 psi. I would get 4.1 v @35psi. And consistancy wasnt as good as my AEM.
I might be mistaken on exact vdc vs psi but you get what im saying.

Last edited:
This has been covered plenty. $50 map sensors on $15000 engines
See at least or hear of at least 5 a year. Usually results in some engine damage that shows up later unless it was only used to log. When it's the most important sensor on your engine like with speed density or a progressive Alky or even worse both it's just a matter of time as to when the plastic will fail and a several thousand repair bill is the result

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is that the one Bison sells? Round one?

I have SSI P51's in 1 bar, 3.5, and 5 bar and can get 100psia if for whatever reason it's needed

Just had one fail couple of weeks ago. Went to start the engine and wouldn't start. Opened the hood to check the fp gauge. Heard the alky spraying full blast. Shut the alky off. Noticed the dash boost gauge was pegged. MAP was shorted sent a full 5v. Since then I'm in the process of going XFI and got the AEM unit and damn glad I did...

I have SSI P51's in 1 bar, 3.5, and 5 bar and can get 100psia if for whatever reason it's needed

Got my 3.5 installed. Thanks Brian!!

b16a9a3cc54b5484965f5a58bf253280.jpg

Is that the vaccumn line plugged into the bottom, look pretty easy. I like easy. I seem to remember Bison testing like five stock sensors and all them failed in one way or another.

Is that the vaccumn line plugged into the bottom, look pretty easy. I like easy. I seem to remember Bison testing like five stock sensors and all them failed in one way or another.

Yes. Very nice little barb on the end. I mounted the SSI in the same location the stock unit came out of just using a conduit clamp to mount it.