You can type here any text you want

Fastest on Stock 8.5"

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

turbotgirl

Hey guys I am posting under my mom's name. I have a 1988 Cutlass with a 355 Oldsmobile engine ran 13.65 @ 100.1mph. I ran this on 205/70/14s. I want to eventually be able to run drag radials or even a full slick but I know the little 7.5" will not last. Will the 8.5" last into the mid-low 12s running a slick on it or does it make sense to put a 9" in it now. Thanks for anyone who can help.

turbotgirl said:
Hey guys I am posting under my mom's name. I have a 1988 Cutlass with a 355 Oldsmobile engine ran 13.65 @ 100.1mph. I ran this on 205/70/14s. I want to eventually be able to run drag radials or even a full slick but I know the little 7.5" will not last. Will the 8.5" last into the mid-low 12s running a slick on it or does it make sense to put a 9" in it now. Thanks for anyone who can help.

It should last but your car runs 13s now what are your long time goals with the car..... I personally have seen a bone stock high mile rear go 10.80s do I recomend it hell no :D I think it would live for you with no problems even with slicks on it

I ran 9.99 on the untouched, bone stock 8.5.......... I am currently running 8.90's- 9.1's with a spool, axles and c-clip eliminators... same rear end.... :cool: I ran 9.50's with just axles and a posi, before exploding the posi on a 20lb launch and a very good hook... :eek:

I had an 84 Monte SS, with a bad a$$ 331 motor in it, th350 with 3500 stall, and I sprayed a 175 shot with slicks and had no issue with it. I was running high 11s with this car. It will last as long as there isnt a hard shock to the rear like with a trans brake or standard tranny.

I just ran 9.76 @138 on one tonight with a 1.5 60'. With stock axles. Somebody should slap me for that . :eek:

disco stu said:
I just ran 9.76 @138 on one tonight with a 1.5 60'. With stock axles. Somebody should slap me for that . :eek:
Yes, they should. My car has been running mid-bottom 11's for 4-5 years now on the stock 8.5 pulling 1.54 or so 60's, and that scares me. The times aren't what's going to break the axle, it's the launch. If you put a stock 8.5 and slicks on, see what your 60's are, then decide from there.

disco stu,
on another note, nice comment in your sig. I had a small sticker made about 2 years ago with that exact saying for my back window :-)

I'm still running an untouched factory rear posi, only mods are axles!

So do you guys all think that if I get a stock GN/442 8.5 in rear and run a drag radial or a slick that would pretty much cover me for running low 12s maybe high 11s. I honestly don't know when that will happen, but just want to be safe now, then wasting money later.

turbotgirl said:
So do you guys all think that if I get a stock GN/442 8.5 in rear and run a drag radial or a slick that would pretty much cover me for running low 12s maybe high 11s. I honestly don't know when that will happen, but just want to be safe now, then wasting money later.

I think you will be fine especially if you're not leaving hard off a trans break!

On my entirely bone stock rear end with 100K miles on it last year, I went 1.50 before I broke the driverside axle... went back the following weekend with a lower mileage stock axle and went 1.47.... But I would not recommend it. I saw 4 stock 8.5" rears snap axles last sat. at route 41 dragway...

I would say you're ok until bottom 1.5s... Then just upgrade the axles...

turbocliff said:
I saw 4 stock 8.5" rears snap axles last sat. at route 41 dragway...

yeah I was there...I didn't know there were 4 cars that broke! I thought only 2 broke...yikes I guess I was the only one that survived the biting track???

Cal Hartline has gone 8.57 with a modified 8.5.
Not sure if I trust one behind my twin motor.

d0n_3d: yea, the others that broke were other gbodies, but not TRs

And I have a modded 8.5 under my GN, and have so far gone 1.39 on my only nitrous launch off the t-brake...

I plan on runnin bottom 1.3s next season with my turbo set-up / sbc. The 8.5 is a pretty strong rear with the right parts in it...

XXQUICK6XX said:
Mine shattered the posi and broke teeth on the ring gear and the axles both were comming out but that is what happens on a 20# launch off the trans brake. Hey Don I seen your car comming by with your head gasket blown in the pit's http://www.photoreflect.com/scripts...hoto=08OD002S020017&start=0&album=0&adjust=-1

Steve :eek:

holy crap! yeah I saw your car by the tower with the damn wheel hanging out...sorry to hear that! I think 80% of the cars that showed up last weekend broke SOMETHING! I didn't even know I had blown headgaskets until I went to load it on the trailor and saw coolant leaking from the motor...not a good day for the Buicks :(

trans brakes scare me...I'll stick to my 13 psi footbrake launches...LOL!

Damn Steve! I didn't realize that was you man! At least you were fortunate enough not to run over your rim like the guy with the silver cutlass :eek:

I'm a lil upset with the photographer, as there are several GNs photod in there, but none of mine :mad: ..and I've been told that I "dangled the hoops for 40-50ft.... I wanna see it though!

Back