Fastest on Stock 8.5"

turbotgirl

Hey guys I am posting under my mom's name. I have a 1988 Cutlass with a 355 Oldsmobile engine ran 13.65 @ 100.1mph. I ran this on 205/70/14s. I want to eventually be able to run drag radials or even a full slick but I know the little 7.5" will not last. Will the 8.5" last into the mid-low 12s running a slick on it or does it make sense to put a 9" in it now. Thanks for anyone who can help.

turbotgirl said:
Hey guys I am posting under my mom's name. I have a 1988 Cutlass with a 355 Oldsmobile engine ran 13.65 @ 100.1mph. I ran this on 205/70/14s. I want to eventually be able to run drag radials or even a full slick but I know the little 7.5" will not last. Will the 8.5" last into the mid-low 12s running a slick on it or does it make sense to put a 9" in it now. Thanks for anyone who can help.

It should last but your car runs 13s now what are your long time goals with the car..... I personally have seen a bone stock high mile rear go 10.80s do I recomend it hell no :D I think it would live for you with no problems even with slicks on it

I ran 9.99 on the untouched, bone stock 8.5.......... I am currently running 8.90's- 9.1's with a spool, axles and c-clip eliminators... same rear end.... :cool: I ran 9.50's with just axles and a posi, before exploding the posi on a 20lb launch and a very good hook... :eek:

I had an 84 Monte SS, with a bad a$$ 331 motor in it, th350 with 3500 stall, and I sprayed a 175 shot with slicks and had no issue with it. I was running high 11s with this car. It will last as long as there isnt a hard shock to the rear like with a trans brake or standard tranny.

I just ran 9.76 @138 on one tonight with a 1.5 60'. With stock axles. Somebody should slap me for that . :eek:

disco stu said:
I just ran 9.76 @138 on one tonight with a 1.5 60'. With stock axles. Somebody should slap me for that . :eek:
Yes, they should. My car has been running mid-bottom 11's for 4-5 years now on the stock 8.5 pulling 1.54 or so 60's, and that scares me. The times aren't what's going to break the axle, it's the launch. If you put a stock 8.5 and slicks on, see what your 60's are, then decide from there.

disco stu,
on another note, nice comment in your sig. I had a small sticker made about 2 years ago with that exact saying for my back window :)

So do you guys all think that if I get a stock GN/442 8.5 in rear and run a drag radial or a slick that would pretty much cover me for running low 12s maybe high 11s. I honestly don't know when that will happen, but just want to be safe now, then wasting money later.

turbotgirl said:
So do you guys all think that if I get a stock GN/442 8.5 in rear and run a drag radial or a slick that would pretty much cover me for running low 12s maybe high 11s. I honestly don't know when that will happen, but just want to be safe now, then wasting money later.

I think you will be fine especially if you're not leaving hard off a trans break!

On my entirely bone stock rear end with 100K miles on it last year, I went 1.50 before I broke the driverside axle... went back the following weekend with a lower mileage stock axle and went 1.47.... But I would not recommend it. I saw 4 stock 8.5" rears snap axles last sat. at route 41 dragway...

I would say you're ok until bottom 1.5s... Then just upgrade the axles...

turbocliff said:
I saw 4 stock 8.5" rears snap axles last sat. at route 41 dragway...

yeah I was there...I didn't know there were 4 cars that broke! I thought only 2 broke...yikes I guess I was the only one that survived the biting track???

Cal Hartline has gone 8.57 with a modified 8.5.
Not sure if I trust one behind my twin motor.

d0n_3d: yea, the others that broke were other gbodies, but not TRs

And I have a modded 8.5 under my GN, and have so far gone 1.39 on my only nitrous launch off the t-brake...

I plan on runnin bottom 1.3s next season with my turbo set-up / sbc. The 8.5 is a pretty strong rear with the right parts in it...

XXQUICK6XX said:
Mine shattered the posi and broke teeth on the ring gear and the axles both were comming out but that is what happens on a 20# launch off the trans brake. Hey Don I seen your car comming by with your head gasket blown in the pit's http://www.photoreflect.com/scripts...hoto=08OD002S020017&start=0&album=0&adjust=-1

Steve :eek:

holy crap! yeah I saw your car by the tower with the damn wheel hanging out...sorry to hear that! I think 80% of the cars that showed up last weekend broke SOMETHING! I didn't even know I had blown headgaskets until I went to load it on the trailor and saw coolant leaking from the motor...not a good day for the Buicks :(

Damn Steve! I didn't realize that was you man! At least you were fortunate enough not to run over your rim like the guy with the silver cutlass :eek:

I'm a lil upset with the photographer, as there are several GNs photod in there, but none of mine :mad: ..and I've been told that I "dangled the hoops for 40-50ft.... I wanna see it though!