Favorite Car Movies??

Hollywood Knights. I always wanted to (and still probably will) build a replica of the blown '57 Chevy that Tony Danza drove. If you've ever watched the movie real close, they blow the motor for real while racing the Cobra.

Wasn't that '57 the famous car magazine "Project-X"?...(always thought so)...great scene at the red-light...gotta love the RPMs & the screamin' gear drive!

If the movie was made today, the Cobra would be replaced by a Supra!

:)

Yup, Project X is correct. I love that car. I taped Hoolywood Knights years ago and watch it every so often. It would be nice to watch it on DVD.

I wish they raced the GTO in Hollywood nights..

Gone in 60's #1 was a pretty good movie
so was
Vanishing point.

Made the mistake of renting Canonball Run over a month ago. My 3 year old is *still* running into rooms yelling DAH duh DAH! Captain Kaos! Curse that Dom Deluise! Love the cars in it though.

Honorable mention: There was a pretty cool GTO in My Science Project, IIRC. Nobody ever mentions The Hunter! McQueen's hilarious in The Trans Am. McQueen man! Also the '67 Camaro SS/RS(?) in Better Off Dead is cool. Not a car movies, but still. Also some old movie with Dennis Hopper and Harry Hamlin, I think, King of the Road or something like that. All I remember is Hopper saying "speed is time, time is speed" with a stopwatch taped to his rearview. Fuzzy on most of it, long time ago.

Paul Newman's racing movie Winning was cool.

I'd have to vote for 2 lane black top and Bullitt. I actually bought a 69 Mach because it sounded just like Steve's.
Dirty Mary and Crazy Larry would have to make the list too.

Little triva fact. The 55 in 2 lane black top was also one of the 55's (they used 2) that Bob Falfa drove. Obviously not the wrecked one, but the one used for the cruising scenes.

hands down, it HAS to be TWO LANE BLACKTOP. a movie about absolutely nothing but two car nuts driving across country and racing. oh then there's the girl and the tall tale telling GTO driver (warren oates was actually pretty good in the movie). i'm still shocked to hear james taylor say the "F word" every time he says it. i've heard his music and yes it was just a part in a movie but it doesnt seem to fit his music, mellow and he's pretty callous and agressive in the movie, single minded on one thing, racing. its just weird because he's a really nice guy and he was kinda rude in the movie. "i dont wanna hear about it" "what do you mean you dont want hear about it?" "its not my problem".

still a good movie but the ending still makes no sense to me. none of it really makes sense but i at least wanted to see who won the race at the end!!! i think he took the elky.

I'm a big fan of all the movies mentioned, but Two Lane Blacktop is my favorite. I searched for years to find the movie for sale on tape, thanks to the internet I got one about 6 years ago.

It's just such a raw movie. And who hasn't wanted to travel the country racing a car like that, with some skank riding along with you, and a very quiet mechanic to do all the dirty work

Conversely my wife thinks its the worst movie ever made, so that adds to my enjoyment :p

I still remember seeing this movie a couple times when I was a kid. It was on ABC's "Movie of the week"

Another good one that I didn't notice mentioned was Aloha Bobby & Rose. It had a sweet red rlared out 68 Camaro in it.

Fast Times At ?

One of my favorite scenes was the Z-28 Jeff Spicollie was cruzing in with the owners brother. I loved the Sammy Haggar song that went along with them hitting passing gear in and out of traffic. Remembering that scene made me buy my sisters' 81 Z-28 in 1998 with Air Induction and making the Cool Q-jet Roar. The only problem was that my Z-28 only attracted women in mini vans in there LLLate 30s with kids and all! Most of them said they used to date guys that had cars like that in their DAY! Thank god I never sold any of my TRs.:rolleyes:

Don't forget the origional Smokey and the Bandit...they crashed a LOT of police cars in that movie :D

"Junior, get the ebidence and put it in the carrrrrr!"
"Remind me to slap yo mama"
"Gentlmen, hold up on that car wash"
"Thats,,,an attentoin getta"
and one of my favorites:
"By the time you get that damn dog in the truck, the smokey will ahve gone by you"

My favorite was "Duel" with Dennis Weaver. It was a good movie, and funny too. A '71-73 Valiant (even a slant 6!) can't outrun an old tanker? In some scenes, Dennis is scared to press down on the thin pedel on the left, then he is pulling off beautiful four wheel drifts. All the time they keep going towards the barren dessert (sp?), dude, just turn around a go home!!!! Great movie.
Even more with a few friends and lots of beer.

My new favorite is "Ronin" with Robert DeNiro. European cars but that Audi AWD is killer. Driving the wrong way through those tunnels is enough to get your blood pumping. They smash up some high $$ Mercedes' and generally create havoc. Good stuff. It's worth a rent and a late fee. :D HWN is cool too: "His deek! He's holding it with his deek!" hehe

Here's two vintage car flicks that I like: Vanishing Point and the original (circa 1973) Gone in 60 seconds. I have VP on tape but didn't get the other when it appeared on AMC a few months ago. Gone in 60 seconds (original) was a stunt scene delight with lots of car chases and crashes! Mucho action! The remake with Nicholas Cage in recent years was quite lame in my book.:(

Smokey and the Bandit, I have the special edition DVD:D

Also how about The Blues Brothers

That 440 in that POS police car is awesome
And the scene where they go through downtown Chicago at a buck thirty is awesome:cool: