Finally got some time.

The chrome trim will go back on when it's done but for now it's not going to rot any more. I'll be ordering some of the metal filler after I get the other side done so I can make it look better, but remember it's the beater to prove what I've been up to for the last couple of years.

It's got 1 spot I'm not happy with yet. Look at the right of the last pic and you should be able to see it. It would take 1/4" of filler or more to straighten it out so I'm gonna try and get some body tools and see if I can pull it out a little more.

Looks good. Body work is not hard, but its also not fun:rolleyes: Now you have the other side to do:biggrin: but that side looks easy. What about the floor boards? Are you still working on the '82?

Looks good. Body work is not hard, but its also not fun:rolleyes: Now you have the other side to do:biggrin: but that side looks easy. What about the floor boards? Are you still working on the '82?

The 82 is on the back burner for now. This is the proving ground for it as well as me learning how to do the work it needs.

Looking good Charlie, keep it a sleeper.

That's the idea Adam.:biggrin: Primer will make it look like crap until I get the 82 done. Several different colors but it will have decent tires and a few "special" mods that I aint telling about yet.:biggrin:

Got bored and frustrated with body work so I finally took the time to tear the engine down that I got with the 82. Glad I did to. These guys have no clue how to build an engine to say the least.:mad: NA crank and the bearings have rub marks on them from just rotating the crank in the block. The heads are miss matched as well. One 8445 and one 293. Cast pistons? How can you do business like this? :confused: The one thing I'm not used to is the blocked passages at the front of the block. Nice little suprise and a little more deck strength at least.:biggrin:

Attachments

• DSCN0005.jpg
    DSCN0005.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 297
  • DSCN0006.jpg
    DSCN0006.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 301
  • DSCN0010.jpg
    DSCN0010.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 291
  • DSCN0011.JPG
    DSCN0011.JPG
    41.6 KB · Views: 290
  • DSCN0004.jpg
    DSCN0004.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 291
At least it's super clean and your working on it Charlie. Nothing wrong with cast pistons though................................'til they break or crack I'd be more concerned with the piston rings

True, but most of the guys that I`v heard had that happen to them, were using them just for 1/4 and using nitrous along with high boost... you kinda expect that to happen eventually:biggrin: Not trying to defend alum pistons, I`m using steel ones anyway:biggrin: but I thought about using some when I rebuild the '85 block to save weight... I don`t plan to run it that hard anyway.

Well I got lucky and picked up some on the board that're hypers with polished rods. I'll be using them and since I've got the ported heads and a spare set of 293's that are just sitting here.... The crank has been debured and reground for .020/.020 but I still need to get a new flywheel for it. I haven't decided where to get it yet though.

I was going to do as little as possible today because I was going to the drag strip to meet up with some of the Dallas guys, but it got rained out.:mad: Instead I got some of the welds cleaned up on the lower part of the quarter. Almost looks factory now.:biggrin: I also took the gas tank out and drained it so I could make sure there weren't any issues with it. There's a small spot of rust in it and it does have the baffel in it thank God. I also cut the outer skin off the patch panel I had. PITA! I'm getting better with the spot weld cutter and only cut through in a few spots.:smile:

The other thing is that the car still has the original shocks on it. Looks like no one did a lot of maintainance on this car.:confused:

Attachments

• DSCN0006.jpg
    DSCN0006.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 293
  • DSCN0001.jpg
    DSCN0001.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 294
  • DSCN0003.jpg
    DSCN0003.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 298
  • DSCN0005.jpg
    DSCN0005.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 300
Good update Charlie, Another thing checked off the to-do list then (fuel tank baffle) The quarter is gooking good. Eventually look for some Kent or similar brand panel rust proofer. It's like reduced clear wax and it's aerosol, a good coating up the backside of all your repairs after it's finished. That stuff is really good and it wicks it's way into every crack and runs into troughs to seal them out from the inside and it sticks to everything.

Good update Charlie, Another thing checked off the to-do list then (fuel tank baffle) The quarter is gooking good. Eventually look for some Kent or similar brand panel rust proofer. It's like reduced clear wax and it's aerosol, a good coating up the backside of all your repairs after it's finished. That stuff is really good and it wicks it's way into every crack and runs into troughs to seal them out from the inside and it sticks to everything.

Thanks Adam.:smile: You got a link to the rust proofer?

Yes I do:
http://www.kent-automotive.com/kent/main.nsf/resources/pdf/$File/N-71204_Kent%20Guard%20.pdf

I was hoping for some where I could buy it Adam.:confused: I have one spot I need to weld up on the drivers side but it isn't that big. It looks like I burned though the metal.:mad: Now on to the passenger side.:frown: You have no idea how much I hate doing body work.:biggrin: