You can type here any text you want

First heat cycle on a motor

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

karolko

When you guys start your motor up for the first time and put it through its first heat cycle, would you recommend a 160* or 180* thermostat.

I have xfi, so i will be running through some of the rough idle parameters while it is warming up. Other than that what steps do you boys go through. The cam does not need to be broken in as it is from my prevous motor.

Thanks guys

Adrian

When you guys start your motor up for the first time and put it through its first heat cycle, would you recommend a 160* or 180* thermostat.

I have xfi, so i will be running through some of the rough idle parameters while it is warming up. Other than that what steps do you boys go through. The cam does not need to be broken in as it is from my prevous motor.

Thanks guys

Adrian

I would bring it up to op. temp.

180 degrees is fine. THe cooler the motor runs the more cyl wear.

180 degrees is fine. THe cooler the motor runs the more cyl wear.

Hey Norbs,

Are you saying that the cooler the motor runs, the more wear that occurs along the cylinder walls. Is that becasue the oil temp is not hot enough? Could you please explain.

How is your project coming along?

Well, cold oil doesn;t help either". Some experts estimate that the wear on the rings of an internal combustion engine is as high as 0.001" per 1000 miles of operation when the oil temperature is below 170 degrees. Look at the chart below, looks like coolant temp does effect wear also.

Car is running fine using the stock computer but can;t turn up the boost running out of room to tune it in this busy city.

Attachments

• wear1 copy.JPG
    wear1 copy.JPG
    24.2 KB · Views: 280
Thats a very interesting chart Norbs.

Everyone running a 160f stat needs to take a look. :rolleyes:

Thanks Norbs, In my mind It is settled 180 and never looking back.

Put a 5" thick intercooler on the front and you will be 180s on a 40 degree day. :redface:

It can't hurt considering where you live, did you drill a hole in the pan?

It can't hurt considering where you live, did you drill a hole in the pan?

No I bought a heating pad from one of the local shops. He sold it to me really cheap.

Attachments

• MOR23996.jpg
    MOR23996.jpg
    5.3 KB · Views: 243
Back