You can type here any text you want

Frame mods...need help

• Thread starter Thread starter coach
  • Start date Start date

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
C

coach

Hey Guys,
I am getting another frame that I intend on welding all the reinforcements onto. I know several guys mod the trailing arm locations to stiffen. I intend on completely welding every seam and boxing in the rear section.
What I need is help in bracing other areas I am not familiar with.
I may notch it too, so I can fit 325's
Please post pics of any mods you guys have done. This thing is going under a 9 sec car.

Thanks
Coach

I saw some pictures of what 'charlef1' did to strengthen his frame. He did a lot of the seams etc.. I'm sure it would be helpful.....most likely in the 'Before Black' or
"Hot Air' section. Not sure what it is called as I rarely go there. Might of been a sticky....good info there........lots of pics IIRC..............

Yes, I remember that thread. He made boxes for the perches. Nice job. Think it's in the chassis section.

Thank you. I am a really good chum of Charlie's. I PM'd him for pics, not knowing there were posted pics. I will hunt up the thread.
I know others have done some too, so post up!

Thank you all

I just spent 12 hours working but the thread is "Finally got some time" in the B4black section Donnie. The mods that aren't shown I will email you when I get a chance. I'm working 0000 to 0800 right now and for the last 2 days I've worked 12 hours straight without a break so I'm pooped to say the least. I'll send you the info after this weekend when I'm off bud.;) I think I even have the templates for the "special" mods that aren't posted on the board if you need them.:D

I just spent 12 hours working but the thread is "Finally got some time" in the B4black section Donnie. The mods that aren't shown I will email you when I get a chance. I'm working 0000 to 0800 right now and for the last 2 days I've worked 12 hours straight without a break so I'm pooped to say the least. I'll send you the info after this weekend when I'm off bud.;) I think I even have the templates for the "special" mods that aren't posted on the board if you need them.:D
Its time for you to fix that signature :cool:

i could use some of them parts?

This will all get done over summer. I plan on getting the frame in a few weeks
Templates would be great

Factory frame seams are horrible, grind and reweld. Obviously box the inner section. If you notch the rear get some strong dom tubing and weld it between the notch. In the very rear weld a bolt in crossmember. The factory upper and lower control arm mounting points can be reinforced, either home brew it or buy some, I got mine from TNT I think. Thats about it without getting to crazy. Made an insane difference

Thanks Dave.
I plan on boxing the sides and a slight notch. I would love 325's on my 10 inch rims, but I still sit people in the backseat every once in a while. I will position the 295's under the car in perfect position to avoid rubbing the frame or lip. I have to cut my housing no matter what because my 10's only have 3.5 backspacing.
I planned on adding a rear crossmember behind the bumper and it will have a bracket welded to it to hold my ALKY pump, since I'm using a cell in the trunk for my Meth.
A tube crossmember between the rear shock mounts.
Def going to add the bracing around the trailing arm brackets and reinforce the upper mounts.
I will prob cut the exhaust hangers out and weld in a brace by the notch, and then reattach the hanger on the passenger side. I only run a single 4 inch.
I won't have any other ideas until I actually get the frame in a few weeks.

Thanks.

Well with what I listed the flex was gone, that was before I added the bolt on braces, it was actually while the body was off we tested it, very stiff. I'm sure you could do more but not without adding more weight than its worth. IMHO the biggest benefits were to rewelding the factory welds (insanely bad) and adding the rear crossbrace.

I'm sure. Your frame welding was what lead me to contact you. Your entire build is a work of art.
I'm going to powdercoat my frame and chassis components either Brilliant Silver or a darker Pewter metallic. I need to stop by my buddies and check out some newer chips he has gotten in. The bolt on components are a Pewter color up front, and I'll have the rear done to match, with some chrome parts here and there.

Factory frame seams are horrible, grind and reweld. Obviously box the inner section. If you notch the rear get some strong dom tubing and weld it between the notch. In the very rear weld a bolt in crossmember. The factory upper and lower control arm mounting points can be reinforced, either home brew it or buy some, I got mine from TNT I think. Thats about it without getting to crazy. Made an insane difference
can you send me a link to "TNT"

Back