Frame Notch/Tub/Cage-Complete build Start2Finish

Oh and the fiberglass deck lid will be pin on style..I put the cell there to be diffrent than everbody else and also to have more trunk space

Filling with jugs gets REAL HEAVY after a bit. Here is my trunk in my 409 car. I still use a really big triangle shaped funnel from Summit to stop the splash. Is your cell foam filled? For a street car it should be.

Your doing a great job,
Coach

Attachments

• DSC00643.JPG
    DSC00643.JPG
    57 KB · Views: 698
  • DSC00644.JPG
    DSC00644.JPG
    55.7 KB · Views: 706
since its not a daily driver I dont mind the little extra hassle filling it I knew i'd have to pay the price for the little extra trunk space..Its also a 16 galon cell unlike the 5 gal ones most racers use so i wont have to fill it quite as often.(fingers crossed..lol) I prob wont fill all the way because of the extra weight maybe like 10-12 gal..Besides I have young 16 yr old step son that comes to track with me so he will have to hold fill jug instead of me...lol...I will not be using it as a street car just stricly at track or maybe to a car show or somthing or to take kids for ice cream..lol..Right now it does not have the foam in it since i had to cut the bottom and tig in the sump...idk what do you think? I was going to leave it out since will just be racing it? You think I should put foam back in? I apprciate the feedback...BTW..the car is bad azz

It could never hurt to have the foam. It is not a hinderance of anykind so I would put it back in. Mine is a 20 gallon foam filled with a fuel shut off if it turns upside down...God forbid:eek::eek::eek:

Coach

thats why i thought about leaving out, The car will basically be driven qtr mile straight runs and since its not a street car as long as I got fuel in the sump I should be good

Here is a pic of the carboard templete for the lower part of trunk floor its not the greatest pic because i took with my phone but i will post some more pics later but wanted you guys to see it with the carboard before i cut the sheet metal

Attachments

• lower cardboard trunk templete.jpg
    lower cardboard trunk templete.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 625
ok guys here is a pic of the bottom floor pan cut and tacked in..Just neet to finnish burnin it in and i can smooth out my welds for a cleaner look and use the seam seeler all the way around and then next i will build the rear firewall and then start the roll cage

Attachments

• bottom pan.jpg
    bottom pan.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 651
sorry guys I havent posted much in last couple weeks but last week was opening day for Spring Turkey Hunting so Ive been out of town hunting..I finally started back at trunk again today and thought I'd post a few pics of it..Its pretty much done as far as the floor at this point. I have all the weld seams and tubs sealed with the seam sealer and im at the primeing stage so I can get most of the bare metal covered I still have to build the rear firewall but im at least priming the trunk floor area and underneath where the frame notch was done then i will paint with a gloss black frame paint. If you notice the trunk floor I made patch panels for each side of trunk floor where there normally is a hole that drops down behind the qtr pannels. this way the new trunk pan runs all the way across to each side and the edges are sealed with seam sealer aswell. Heres a few pics.. Im not done priming the bare metal but the last pic is where i had just started priming floor

Attachments

• sidetrunkwsealer.jpg
    sidetrunkwsealer.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 592
  • trunkwsealer.jpg
    trunkwsealer.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 597
  • trunkprimer.jpg
    trunkprimer.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 607
I sure did...lol He was a pretty big Tom he was 23lbs 9 1/2 inch beard and 1-1/4 inch spurs...heres a pic..This one wasnt the best pic of him it was taken with my phone but i have another pic on the camera with his tail faned out nice

Attachments

• turkey2010.jpg
    turkey2010.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 584
btw..just ignore the face paint around my eyes. I just come out of the feild.Wild Turkeys are very stupid but their eyes are 10 times better than ours....lol

Nice looking bird.:cool: Sorry about the hijack but I just thought if you didn't get one then the loss of the info would be bad.:biggrin:

I dont mind at all..Hunting and Cars are my 2 favorite things that comsume my time other than my wife and kids...lmao..

ok since the trunk is near complete its time to start the interior floor and pans, more pics to follow in the next day or so..im building custom floor as well due to the rust damage..also since im not running a back seat im bringing the rear floor pans up 2-3 inchs since the rear floor pans sit very low in gbodys and i should be able to tuck the exhust up good since the rear floor pans will be raised..to give you an idea what im thinking the floor will kinda be designed like what you would see in dragsters

Here is a pic of the backseat area(or what used to be a back seat...lol), I have the sheet metal tacked in..I still need to tack the tubs to the floor as well but i need someone to help so they can push in on the tub from inside of wheel well so i can have a tight fit when i tack the sheet metal floor to the wheel tub...I aslso still need to cut sheet metal for the side of the driveshaft tunnel where it starts..I wanted to do the floor in the backseat area before i cut the rest of the driver and pass side floor out so the car would have a little more support..I will now cut rest of the int floor out and start the frame boxing and then build the floor pans..im going to paint the floor in por-15 then all the sheet metal floor will be carpeted once done for a clean look. this is just to give you an idea i will post more pics as i go.

Attachments

• Cutlass Floor backseat.jpg
    Cutlass Floor backseat.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 521
You could always make little seats to go in there to make it look more like a street car, just for fun. Remember how the seats in the Vega were? Pads on both sides and a steel hump in the middle?

Good point Charlie, That shouldn't be too hard,would be cool.. I thought about that or even throwing a couple buckets back there..Only problem is if there is back seats I will be forced to bring wife and kids in the car for a ride...LOL. Don't think the wife will ride in this car anyway because its too hard for me not to push the juice button..lol..

Our weather here has been nasty and raining for about the last week or so so I havent been able to get much progress done but things are finally starting to clear up weather wise this weekend so I hope to post some more progress and pics this weekend and next week..right now still working on the interior floor i have most of it cut out I still need to finish cutting rest of floor out..Also the prev owner replaced the rocker pannels but when i cut the floor out I noticed all of the sheet metal support behind the rocker panels were rusted and rotted..so I have to carefully remove the rocker panels on both sides and replace the metal behind them and then re-weld the new rockers back in..Its such of waste of time it should have been done right the first time by prev owner..But at least I caught it before having car painted and needed to fix more rust in future..

Well I started back at it today guys sorry for not keeping thread updated, I haven't been feeling good this last couple weeks..Well I got the rocker pannel carfuly cut out and removed all the rusted inner rocker panel suport out..I also cleaned all the surface rust and rusty scale off the outer side of frame rail and put a coat of black paint on the outer section of the frame rail, once the sheet metal support for the rocker panel is installed you cant get to the outer section of the frame which is why I painted the outside..I also cut the sheet metal for the inner rocker support and i currently have it clamped in to check for fit..Once the fit is good i will spot weld it in along with rocker pannel..I have the driver side floor pan mostly cut out once I finish the rocker area on driver side, I will finnish cutting pass side floor out and fix what ever needs fixed with pass side rocker and once thats done I can box in the inner frame rails and start the custom floor

Attachments

• drside frame painted before rocker.jpg
    drside frame painted before rocker.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 422
  • inner rocker suport.jpg
    inner rocker suport.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 444