Frame swap

dank GN

BlackArts Automotive (661)993-8277
okay I'm swapping frames in my Gn . What should I do to the frame besides bracing . I'm most likely going to put my cage in . I rear ended some poor lady with no license . And took out my front end
image.jpg
image.jpg

Lol I hit the brakes the last sec and my front bumper dipped and hit the back of a Mitsubishi galant . Her back bumper fell off that about it . What size steel should I use to brace up the c channel ? My frame is bent so instead of taking it to a frame shop I got a frame for $200

Clean and re-weld every seam on the new frame, then add a cross bar to the rear cross member and weld it to both the frame rails and the cross member.;) That will stiffen it up quite a bit. If you get adventurous you could also box the center, but that will throw you out of the class racing in most cases.:(

Judging by the way you drive....I would start with welding in some I-beam and poring concrete into the frame reinforced with some #5 re-bar. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Don't forget a used push bumper from a big-ass tow truck as well.:D:D

All kidding aside. I am sorry for your unfortunate situation. I would be nearly suicidal if or when it happens to me. I have tried to mentally prepare for something like this. But it still would be traumatic. Glad to here you just going to go to work on fixing it.

Notch the frame for sure. You can add in all the bracing and reinforcement a lot
easier with no body in the way.

What size steel should I use to weld up the C channel

I love seeing a bare frame like this! It's like a fresh canvas getting ready to be transferred into a Picasso!

How thick is the rest of the frame material? I would think boxing it with the same gauge would be sufficient. About an 1/8th?

Clean and re-weld every seam on the new frame, then add a cross bar to the rear cross member and weld it to both the frame rails and the cross member.;) That will stiffen it up quite a bit. If you get adventurous you could also box the center, but that will throw you out of the class racing in most cases.:(
....and you'll hate every second of street driving after doing this too....ask me how I know.

....and you'll hate every second of street driving after doing this too....ask me how I know.

Can't be worse than driving a mid 80's Corvette.

Put some 28" tall Hoosier Quick-Time Pros with 2o psi in them. And run tall front runners. Smoooooooooth ride! Just watch out around the turns.:cautious:

Texas has smoother roads than the north Keith.:D I also went one step further than most. The top of the front cross member was cut out and lowered 3/8" and straightened to increase rigidity. Not something that's easy but it lowers the engine slightly for a better CG.;)

Sister some steel plate around the mounting areas of the upper and lower control arms. You know, where the bolt passes through the frame and forward bushing of the arms. I've seen these bolt holes elongate due to the shock of a hard push and pull of big launch.Maybe even weld a sleeve in there.

Don't forget the frame notch.

I did the same with mine frame only I didn't notch mine. Actually, it was these pictures (your frame) where I got the idea from. Great pictures BTW. Thank you! Some of my frame mount openings were rusted out a little bit so I repaired and reinforced them. Then I had it powder coated. I found 1/8" thick steel washes on the internet that were the same size opening as the frame mount opening and welded them in. Worked out great. Later on I saw that Kirban sells similar ones. Your replacement frame looks pretty good. Better then mine did and my car was never driven and sat in a garage so you shouldn't have to do much if any repair work. Reweld it, box it in, reinforce the rear lower control arm mounts, put a cross section in over the rear, and put the rear brace on it. With new body bushings, it will feel like a different car. Good luck!

Attachments

• 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 223
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 204
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 195
  • 067.JPG
    067.JPG